G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 29 Non Members

Group One 2018 Caulfield Cup - Final Field/Barrier Draw.

East Coast Racing

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Weir and Waller need to get better at selecting which imports to buy because homebreds are just not good enough anymore. Prince of Penzance was an anomaly resulting from horrendous track bias-something we saw At Caulfield yesterday also. If Gai pushes on with plans to run Thinkin’ Big in the cup, it will be a lamb to the slaughter. It’s really disheartening that we could have been looking forward to The Autumn Sun & Thinkin’ Big running at Moonee Valley against Winx need week but instead we’ll get a testimonial race.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited October 2018
    Thought a lot of "one batters" ran to the line in the CC...the winner and second horse showed a good turn of foot, the rest of them outside of the sprint of The Taj Mahal seemed all one paced.

Cliffsofmoher and Duretto looked as if that could run another lap at the same grinding pace.
    As for Ace High any sign of a sprinkle of rain and he's gone. Six starts now for zilch on slow/heavy.

Will be surprised if the winner of MC came out of CC....unless Best Solution or Cliffsofmoher. Would like to see Cliffy on a firm track too..think might be better suited. Not that it was too bad yesterday.
    A few still talking up Youngstar...not so sure.
    I backed COM and at first I thought that was the case but leaders weren't stopping yesterday-from memory the track played to leaders last year, too. Johannes Vermeer got too far back in the CC last year and then damn well almost won the Melbourne Cup at its next start. Having said that, the CC is a notoriously bad guide for finding a winner for the two miler...Johannes Vermeer got closer than anything has for a while

Ridersonthestorm33, Thunderstruck likes this post.

edited October 2018
    Cliffsofmoher might like Flemington too but it's been about a decade since the last Melbourne Cup winner ran in the Caulfield Cup.
    If McDonald doesn't take off on The Taj Mahal they would have coasted along another furlong.

The most recent Melbourne Cup winner to run in the Caulfield Cup ?
    A horse by the name of Viewed - Bart Cummings.
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    edited October 2018
    Geez Darren Weir sounded depressed after the race.
    Obviously thought KWD was a massive chance.
    Horse knuckled at start, got galloped on and still came home as good as anything. And had the "moz" Craig Williams on its back.
    10 day suspension or 11 meetings for Pat Cosgrave which I thought was pretty lenient considering what he did in such a big race.
    How many rides has he lost or would have ridden during his suspension ??? Zero I would suspect.
    Penalty is laughable really.
    Weir was down, spoke well considering the dissapointment.

Been beating this drum for awhile...but numbers 1 & 2 in the weights ran 1st and 3rd. Have top weighted horses ever got in so well ? Or light weighted ones so badly ?
    Perhaps a bit of both.

What put me off the winner had only been running against fields of six and seven, although thought Protectionist was a similar risk for the same reason before it won a Melbourne Cup,
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    @TRK is gai talking Melb cup with the very impressive Thinkin Big?..agree VERY bad idea..three words for you @gai..NOTHIN LEICA DANE ffs!!

Verry Elleegant was very good..i even talked a very very occasional punter mate of mineinto have 50 on her :))
    She Looked in trouble being a fair way back but she motored to get up, lookout when she gets to the 2500 at Flemington

oldhendo likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts

I backed COM and at first I thought that was the case but leaders weren't stopping yesterday-from memory the track played to leaders last year, too. Johannes Vermeer got too far back in the CC last year and then damn well almost won the Melbourne Cup at its next start. Having said that, the CC is a notoriously bad guide for finding a winner for the two miler...Johannes Vermeer got closer than anything has for a while

Ive not checked sectionals at all but many jockeys were quoted and prominent in their comments were the very slow pace, makes me feel a bit better about COM for the big dance..his was a good run.
    Wonder if the winner might get a penalty??
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    detonator said:

Geez Darren Weir sounded depressed after the race.
    Obviously thought KWD was a massive chance.
    Horse knuckled at start, got galloped on and still came home as good as anything. And had the "moz" Craig Williams on its back.
    10 day suspension or 11 meetings for Pat Cosgrave which I thought was pretty lenient considering what he did in such a big race.
    How many rides has he lost or would have ridden during his suspension ??? Zero I would suspect.
    Penalty is laughable really.

He has accepted ride for Aiden O'Brien in the Manikato on Friday
    edited October 2018
    Tim Clark was on zero points after five races..later on he rode Mighty Boss in the Cup to 17th placing but that didn't stop him winning the Jockey Challenge at $15.
    Finished with two winners and a third placing to give him seven points - remarkably from ten races still enough points to win the JC outright.

These big carnival days take the faves on in the JC! They very rarely win it especially the ten race cards. Derby Day and Melbourne Cup day look for value on the JC.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Words "value" and "jockey challenge" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. Mystery trifectas and favourite numbers are in the same category.....a bit like challenging Clive Palmer in a pie eating competition......cannot possibly win.
  • JellJell    1,201 posts

Kings Will Dream now $51 on Bet365 for the Melbourne Cup.
    He's $34 on Sportsbet.
    He's $17 on Tabtouch.

@Jell and thunderstruck if you want a good chuckle compare Tabtouch odds to those other two bookies on the Cup. Horse for horse. Perhaps one or two are reasonable but not many!

Ace High $31 Tabtouch and $51 available.
    Patrick Erin $41 and lots of $101 around.
    Who Shot The Barman $51 and you can get $151.
    The fancied runners most of them are a point to ten points under too.

I know I sound like a broken record on this site but it's beyond a joke now. The continual offering up of disgusting odds and sh*tty service by TABtouch has me in awe.

I only bet cash now at the local due to being limited at all corporates in both my name and the missus, I also got tired of trying to get bowlers accounts. This is one of the reasons I get so annoyed because every meeting I'm stuck with these sh*tty odds and service.

I went to Darwin for work last year and absolutely loved having Ubet available to bet in cash. At least they offer decent odds and early fixed odds markets.
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Cash is King. Ive learnt that after the weekend :)

Ridersonthestorm33, Jell likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    No penalty for Caulfield Cup winner Best Solution...so his Melbourne Cup weight of 57.5kg will stand.

https://www.racingvictoria.com.au/news/2018-10-22/best-solution-escapes-penalty-for-the-lexus-melbourne-cup

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    How did the track play on Saturday, was there any evident or perceived bias in posters opinion Would like to hear your thoughts
    edited October 2018
    Spink apart from Very Elegant nothing came from back in the field. Had to be in first half a dozen in running to play a part in the finish, in saying that it's handy to be in those spots...but no swoopers that's for sure.

At one stage in the Caulfield Cup they were going 35 lengths slower at that part of the race in comparison to last year.
    A few over east critical of McDonald on The Taj Mahal for going too early - you're darned if you do and darned if you don't.

spinking, JayJay, Thunderstruck likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    I want to get excited for the Cox Plate, it's one of the great races in my opinion. Not this week though.
    Looks like only being a field of 7 or 8...Winx & Benbatl to dominate betting. Think Winx might get to $1.30. Best price for a while.
    @spinking You should know by now that I'm always right :D