G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 27 Non Members

Harry "Cups" McCloud

West Australian Racing
just heard harry passed away, aged 94 on, would you believe it..on melb. cup day.
harry won the cup on Colonus in about 1942.
he was quite a character, I remember he had a powder blue Dodge or Plymouth..."to match my powder blue suit and powder blue eyes".
married a Miss WA (or the winner of some beauty contest)..always the best for Harry.
RIP old mate.

Comments

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Sad news Falcon. Harry and his wife always came down the Bel Eyre tavern he would bring a lunchbox of little curry puffs  and hand them out to the boys. Abo Jordan used to goad him saying the only reason he won the cup was because every one was away fighting the war. What a table it used to be Rowley Ransom Doc Paddick  Harry some funny times

savethegame likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    sh*t stirring abo..harry was too young to sign up. did he run 2nd the following year?
    remember abo holding court with his bottle of Minchinbury bubbly. how he drank the foul stuff is beyond me.

spinking likes this post.

spink, who is/was doc paddick?
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Spinking would Harry McCloud have worked at the old "Swan Brewery" at all ? Just thought he may have...
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Harry ran second in the 1944 cup. Brian (doc) Paddick was a sports  journalist for the Sunday Times or the Daily News Falc or maybe both he was also the secretary of the West Australian racehorse trainers ass for a long time in the early days of its formation. Was one of Neville Catchpoles best mates and well known in racing circles . Think he may have even written a book on the great Mount Eden he was from Kalgoorlie . Riders I don't know the answer to your question but would not be surprised if Harry did work at the brewery. Fitting day for him to pass on Melbourne cup day. Up until Tuesday he was the oldest living jockey to have ridden a Melbourne cup winner
    I don't think harry worked at the brewery. he had a trainers licence for many years and dabbled with 2 or 3 horses at a time.
  • ChelseaChelsea    1,369 posts
    Yes Harry did work at the Swan Brewery also Doc and Nev worked at The Sunday Independent

spinking, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• RexRex    397 posts
    At one stage Harry had a fish & chip shop in Shenton park. I would go most Fridays with Peter Ologhlen to see Harry at the shop. Every Friday an old lady would come an order a piece of snapper and Harry would give unbeknowns to her a piece of shark.
    As it turned out this particular Friday Harry didn't have any shark so he gave her snapper.
    15 minutes later the old lady came back to the shop and let loose on Harry saying that for years she had been getting snapper every Friday and how dare he on this occasion give her shark.
    It was the only time she ever got snapper from Harry.
    He was a true gentleman.
    R.I.P. Harry.
    spot on rex, I remember the chippie.
    PO'L having fish on Friday..never!!
    ;)

spinking likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2018
    Had a close relative working at the Swan Brewery and can recall him saying there was a Melbourne Cup winning jockey there.
    A running gag of the time was when asked him how many people worked at the Brewery he said.. "about half ".

But as a kid can recall they had the best Ginger Beer going around! Great holiday camp at Point Peron too.

Chelsea, thefalcon, spinking, savethegame likes this post.

• tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    I used to ride a bit of work for Harry as a kid lovley fella was fortunate enough to get to read his scrap book was a very good hoop RIP Harry

savethegame, spinking likes this post.

I thought ernie manning would have written a tribute to harry in the west.
    its very remiss of him...
    he wrote a big one when my old man went upstairs.
  • tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    Done a nice tribute on radio if u goggle. Harry mcCoud melb cup .