G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members

New Handicapping System for the Trots

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    AB the money from the sale of GP would have nothing to do with RWWA. It would go back into the industry.
    How it is spent would be up to the industry itself.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    GPHR would be in control of the funds not the entire industry.

Gilgamesh, VillageKid likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts

Gilgamesh said:

michael said:

Am in absolute disbelief that Bunbury cup called off

They are real quick to pull the trigger on shitting things down over the last 18 months. Surely could have waited-push them back a few.

No lights at the moment at Bunbury track 
    Ah i see, I wondered why they were in that time slot.
    I'm not for the sale, once its gone its gone. 

Also look at all that land around Belmont Park developers own just sitting there, tends to suggest there isnt too high a demand for that type of development at the moment anyhow.

GP needs a new track to survive. Are the old tote buildings to the North of the land heritage listed in someway? Surely we could squeeze a 100m track in somehow and still keep the facilities.

VillageKid, Betonme likes this post.

1000*

VillageKid likes this post.

There is no money to redevelop GP.
    It would cost millions to knock down old stands etc.
    GPHR wouldn’t be able to fund it.

There is no money to redevelop GP.
    It would cost millions to knock down old stands etc.
    GPHR wouldn’t be able to fund it.

Im not saying fully redevelop it.  Utilize all the facilities in place for dinning, members etc, demolish the old tote facilities and the fraternity stand (if permitted) and put in a decent track.

Fund it by selling a parcel of land up in that top East Perth corner.
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Couldn’t think of a worse idea than turning GP into 1000m track especially considering we already have 2 of them
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts

Couldn’t think of a worse idea than turning GP into 1000m track especially considering we already have 2 of them

Absolute 1000% rubbish 

Im not anti GP -  but i agree with Gilga - it needs to be 950-1000- metres - if you want to showcase Harness Racing at its brilliant exciting best 

FYI - the track use to be 710 metres approx  35 years ago  - i was their the night they reopened it - now using your logic - you would have said back then - dont touch our precious little 710 metre track its good enough 

Come off it mate - 800 metre track - for 12 horse fields its crazy - and 35 years out of date 
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    1000m tracks don't do much for me. 
    It is much more draining to be off the pegs on those tracks than half mile tracks & races of even class horses turn into large periods of mid race snooze fest racing ..
    Also....unless they are from stands where handicapping encourages mid race moves by stronger class but disadvantaged horses 12 horse fields is generally 2 horses too many in terms of in race opportunity nowadays.
    800m 10 horses Sprint lane = optimum harness racing I reckon.
    Just a personal point of view.
    Markovina said:

Absolute 1000% rubbish 

Im not anti GP -  but i agree with Gilga - it needs to be 950-1000- metres - if you want to showcase Harness Racing at its brilliant exciting best 

FYI - the track use to be 710 metres approx  35 years ago  - i was their the night they reopened it - now using your logic - you would have said back then - dont touch our precious little 710 metre track its good enough 

Come off it mate - 800 metre track - for 12 horse fields its crazy - and 35 years out of date 

Yep that’s your opinion but I stand by mine, GP produces the most exciting racing country wide not sure if you’re on twitter might be a bit out of your age demographic but GP’s racing is often trending

Cant_Refuse, Chopchop43 likes this post.

edited March 2022

Markovina said:

Absolute 1000% rubbish 

Yep that’s your opinion but I stand by mine, GP produces the most exciting racing country wide not sure if you’re on twitter might be a bit out of your age demographic but GP’s racing is often trending

That is absolute crap. Outside the odd race here and there which is enough to get the twittesphere talking the racing, week in week out has been the best cure for insomnia known to man. No moves, no one pulling out until the last 400m, no contest for the lead. Just nothingness. At least if the straight is a bit longer we might get the odd horse from the back run past something.

Markovina likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Regardless of track size there is no incentive to persist strongly or resist strongly when the best or most in form horses draw the best barrier in any race.
    When there is no handicapping the visual aspect is diminished unless a suicide run livens the track up.....& then the driver likely gets a holiday & the horse doesn't recover for a month.

Regardless of track size there is no incentive to persist strongly or resist strongly when the best or most in form horses draw the best barrier in any race.

When there is no handicapping the visual aspect is diminished unless a suicide run livens the track up.....& then the driver likely gets a holiday & the horse doesn't recover for a month.
    Yes - but the double whammy with GP - is the 2100 metre start - its unfair - and thus alot of them just grab hold 

Contrast that to Albion Park ( and plenty other tracks ) theres fireworks and action a plenty at the start - something can draw 6-7 - and they will have a real crack for the lead 

Another point - and i think it is a fair point - is that in WA Harness racing - there are very few mid race moves - especially trying to get the lead - contrast that to other states - Chris Alford ( champion driver ) is - if they walk - then in his driving tool kit - is im going to make a midrace move - that is mon negoitable with him 

I do take your point - some big tracks can be boring as well - i think it comes down to the cambering 

Gee - even pisss poor SA - have built a beautiful new track for Gawler - 950 metres - lovely cambering all horses have got a chance - and it looks a very safe track as well - and your point - 950 metre track and their max field sizes are 10 - yet GP 800 metres and 12 starters - that is just insane
  • JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    In my opinion, the best race each fortnight ( and a very objective opinion it is ) is the stand which is a bona fide handicap....well, sort of.
    :D
  • G-MacG-Mac    1,569 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

I'm not for the sale, once its gone its gone. 

Also look at all that land around Belmont Park developers own just sitting there, tends to suggest there isnt too high a demand for that type of development at the moment anyhow.

GP needs a new track to survive. Are the old tote buildings to the North of the land heritage listed in someway? Surely we could squeeze a 100m track in somehow and still keep the facilities.
    I can remember when there was a plan to use the birdcage and stalls area to extend the track to 1000m (all the way out to Nelson Crescent) and have the stalls, parade ring etc in the centre of the track. This was about 15 years ago from memory.
    One big change that can be made without any cost is go back to the 6 off the front and 4 off the back. Obviously it reduces field size back to ten but given the current small field sizes it wouldn’t be noticed.
    IMO the 6 and 4 product produces better racing, gives more horses a chance and produces much more competitive driving and racing.
    That may be why we are seeing different styles of racing and driving between GP, Pinjarra, Bunbury compared to Northam, Narrogin etc.
    I would love to see a trial run at GP even for a couple of races on a Tuesday night to mix it up a bit.
    Could even be used as some sort of handicapping system with horses out of their class from 9&10 (not off the front).

cisco likes this post.

JayJay said:

Previous Friday, 9 out of the 10 races had an odds on favourite, so make that 27 out of 28 races.

Another 8 out of 8 fixed market odds on favourites again tonight, many of them at Bank Interest odds, so that makes it 35 out of 36 in a row at GP. Yep, another "cracking night of racing"  was the call again this morning, extremely competitive "like versus like" racing...... I get the company line stuff but don't treat the listening audience as fools.

curmudgeon likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    Did the drivers that  didn't drive Friday. covid related --   RWWA  test them prior to  todays  - meeting.
    JayJay said:

JayJay said:

Previous Friday, 9 out of the 10 races had an odds on favourite, so make that 27 out of 28 races.

Another 8 out of 8 fixed market odds on favourites again tonight, many of them at Bank Interest odds, so that makes it 35 out of 36 in a row at GP. Yep, another "cracking night of racing"  was the call again this morning, extremely competitive "like versus like" racing...... I get the company line stuff but don't treat the listening audience as fools.

Punters pockets should be full
    Yep, very full, Real Bookie put up $1.01 The Verandah, they have had enough.
    JayJay said:

Yep, very full, Real Bookie put up $1.01 The Verandah, they have had enough.

Trifecta paid well
    That it did, with only 3 realistic placegetters.
  • Chopchop43Chopchop43    151 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

Markovina said:

Absolute 1000% rubbish 

That is absolute crap. Outside the odd race here and there which is enough to get the twittesphere talking the racing, week in week out has been the best cure for insomnia known to man. No moves, no one pulling out until the last 400m, no contest for the lead. Just nothingness. At least if the straight is a bit longer we might get the odd horse from the back run past something.
    Comparative to the rubbish dished up and Menangle and Melton week in week out we have alot more entertaining races on average at our metro class meetings

Gilgamesh said:

Markovina said:

Absolute 1000% rubbish 

Comparative to the rubbish dished up and Menangle and Melton week in week out we have alot more entertaining races on average at our metro class meetings
    You are 100% correct about the Menangle bit

Some posters can look at the Aust wide picture fairly -  where as others - the sun shines out of WA aarse - no matter what the topic 

What about Albion Park - or Hobart or Launceston - GP  doesnt hold a candle to it - because GP is as boring as bat shiit 

Id would rather watch a harness race at Wagin ( because it is far more exciting ) than watching one at GP 

Would i walk across the road to watch a harness race at Wagin - yes i would - but i wouldnt walk across the road  to watch a harness race at GP 

Just like i would walk across the road to watch a Trots race at Leeton - but i wouldnt walk across the road to watch a Trots race at Menangle Park

freodockers likes this post.

Markovina said:

Gilgamesh said:

Markovina said:

Absolute 1000% rubbish 

Some posters can look at the Aust wide picture fairly -  where as others - the sun shines out of WA aarse - no matter what the topic 

What about Albion Park - or Hobart or Launceston - GP  doesnt hold a candle to it - because GP is as boring as bat shiit 

Id would rather watch a harness race at Wagin ( because it is far more exciting ) than watching one at GP 

Would i walk across the road to watch a harness race at Wagin - yes i would - but i wouldnt walk across the road  to watch a harness race at GP 

Just like i would walk across the road to watch a Trots race at Leeton - but i wouldnt walk across the road to watch a Trots race at Menangle Park

You lost me at tassie racing, you enjoy watching 12 Yole runners race each other?

Chopchop43 likes this post.

Markovina said:

Gilgamesh said:

Markovina said:

Absolute 1000% rubbish 

You lost me at tassie racing, you enjoy watching 12 Yole runners race each other?
    Its good competitive racing - i enjoy it - and i bet on it - plus they have got  2 super tracks - and that will increase to 3 - when the new Devenport facilty is built

The fallacy - re GP in its current setup is good - well the ones who support that view - well they would be still be watching football at broken down Subiaco - oh no there is no need for a magnificent brand new 60000 Perth Stadium - no not at  all 

You should allways be trying to seek betterment and excellence - and ive said this before when WA get a premier Metropolitan Trotting track - now that could be a 950 metre track at GP - with 1st class cambering - or if that is not possible a similar dimensioned track elsewhere  . When that happens - participants - punters - enthusiasts - they will all say - why didnt this happen 20-30 years ago - because the quality of the product will go through the roof

But never mind - keep burying your head in the sand
    Markovina said:

Markovina said:

Gilgamesh said:

Markovina said:

Absolute 1000% rubbish 

Its good competitive racing - i enjoy it - and i bet on it - plus they have got  2 super tracks - and that will increase to 3 - when the new Devenport facilty is built

The fallacy - re GP in its current setup is good - well the ones who support that view - well they would be still be watching football at broken down Subiaco - oh no there is no need for a magnificent brand new 60000 Perth Stadium - no not at  all 

You should allways be trying to seek betterment and excellence - and ive said this before when WA get a premier Metropolitan Trotting track - now that could be a 950 metre track at GP - with 1st class cambering - or if that is not possible a similar dimensioned track elsewhere  . When that happens - participants - punters - enthusiasts - they will all say - why didnt this happen 20-30 years ago - because the quality of the product will go through the roof

But never mind - keep burying your head in the sand

I agree to always seek betterment but what’s to say you’re right? For every person that doesn’t like GP I can find as equally many that love it and love punting on it

2lifetimewinners, VillageKid likes this post.

Woeful numbers for WA pacing cup night, 32 racing spots going unfilled.

I look forward to reading the reading in the review of the new handicapping system.....

VillageKid likes this post.

Gilgamesh said:

Woeful numbers for WA pacing cup night, 32 racing spots going unfilled.

I look forward to reading the reading in the review of the new handicapping system.....

It was actually a terribly programmed meeting I had horses that could of raced but no suitable races, only 9 races programmed usually 11-12 and they make the best 10

Gilgamesh likes this post.