G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Lord Mayor of Manji

Harness & Greyhounds
Jay Jay looks like becoming the Lord Mayor of Manjimup if this weeks strike rate of his keeps up <:-P

Comments

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    I was deeply concerned that HWOE was going to send him from sticky buns at the bakery to the soup kitchen :>

Ridersonthestorm33, curmudgeon likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2019
    Last night at Burwood Park went the 4 horse S.S drove ( sorry hopeless with horses names sometimes ) thought ok - 1,8 - 1,8 second and third and will just put the nine horse in for fourth...

Thought might be leader, leaders back three back and four back...but S.S didn't lead, he sat one one, 1 led and 8 on the back and 9 three back..that might do...yep 4,1,8,9 result.
    Strike me pink!!

Had $5 each way one of the Arjay horses last night (don't ask which one - no idea ) had no hope - but with Michael Grantham suling him along and he kept on kicking! Go you good thing!

The stable is WA's best kept secret :-$

Brookies Jet rattling home for third a few weeks ago at GP @100/1 :-O

VillageKid, curmudgeon likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2019
    Thought that Billy Mack had the Arjay race shot to pieces when he challenged before the corner because in SA was a real grinder, he's still quite one paced - it was massive odds.

curmudgeon likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Aw, shucks, I'm blushing......... but little to do with me, Matt and Shannon can share the Mayoral robes, I'll just carry on as the disgruntled bitching old ratepayer who whinges non stop about potholes in the road. Both have been absolutely marvelous to me and they are giving me a great ride into Senior Citizenship.
    Thought Mickey G's drive on Another Ajay was exceptional....one paced old fella (the horse not Mickey)...a 30 second plus last quarter, they were walking...he all but picked him up and carried him across the line. Won the race at the start by stepping like a bomb from the stand.A well invested tenner Riders.

And Chariots, fortunately, I am well insulated from the soup kitchen but the queue is growing as many horses and their very hard working trainers  have doubtless been very adversely affected by HWOE.
    Sadly, I must report that after over 50 years of magnificent service, the Manji Bakery shut its doors a few months back.....another victim of progress and probably some overseas baking franchise with a very Aussie Snowy Mountain type name. And let me assure you, the Coles and Woollies sticky buns are a very sad imitation of the real McCoy. I now rely on the Donnybrook Bakehouse which amazingly is open all night, and on my late night treks back to Manji from GP, serves a great coffee and a sticky bun at 1.00am in the morning. Remains a joy of life...and the hot jam donuts are also an absolute winner!
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    After reading all this i'm heading to the bloody bakery tomorrow!

JayJay, curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    JayJay having traveled to countless meetings all over the state for nearly 30 years now I struggle to get to GP once a month which is 20 minutes from home so I admire your endurance.

Do you have travelling companions on the long journeys that you seem to undertake as a matter of course?
    No one can put up with my driving...or my music. Mostly solo trips....got used to long distance drives decades ago. If I could handle Merredin or wherever on a cold night 40 years ago with no heater, no demister, no radio and a couple of ordinary conveyances in the float coming home without a sausage on roads best described as goat tracks, then today's treks and comforts are a piece of cake. Still enjoy it, win lose or draw...well, maybe not so much after a loss but that's the nature of the game. Annoys me that people don't bother to actually get to the track these days, I guess modern society has different priorities.

VillageKid, jum likes this post.

Went for the flat white and a cream lamington last night Chariots. Fun night...8 boys from the Manjimup Cricket Team, up in Perth for Country Week Cricket, rocked up at GP last night for the Cup......they chucked 50 bucks each into the pot and away they went. Long faces after the first....Mattjestic Star gave them no joy.. "Mark our book, JayJay, give us a couple of winners"....always a sure fire way of losing life long mates who falsely assume I have great punting skills and a surefire hotline to all "the good oil" from the stabling area ....forgetting the reality that I was on wash down/ungearing duties on a busy night for the stable. Anyway, I throw out Neighlor and Always Arjay as very good each way value bets and they all jumped on and the pints were flowing, Jay Jay is a genius. Come race 6 and emboldened by both success and numerous pints, they venture into first 4 territory....how do we fill in the ticket questions etc. They all play footy with a young fella called Jaxon East who goes okay, so, no problem, in goes Jaxon Fella and Master Jaxon into their first four, which promptly gets up and pays north of $10k......this trots caper JayJay, it's a piece of cake, Gloucester Park is an ATM, beats working haha, the comments were flowing. I left them to it at that stage, think they were heading for a pretty big night.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Heard Manjimup were 5 for 16 this morning  L-)
    They have done well then......haha...fortunately, hostilities don't start until Monday.....they are buttering up at Ascot this afternoon......Perth Racing need look no further than these blokes in over coming the shortages in the staying ranks. Great tradition Country week cricket....and country week punting....with the odd frothie thrown in. They are rocking up with a decent pot to start the day at Ascot.

curmudgeon, VillageKid, jum likes this post.

• MuldoonMuldoon    317 posts

Heard Manjimup were 5 for 16 this morning  L-)

And the players could not give a Jax Sh*t  :D

curmudgeon, VillageKid, JayJay, jum likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    JayJay said:

Great tradition Country week cricket....and country week punting....with the odd frothie thrown in. They are rocking up with a decent pot to start the day at Ascot.

From Aged 17 through to my early 30s. It was the greatest week and a bit of my life. 
    :x :\"> :P 
    Tuesday night was massive at the Hippie club, with a rest day on the Wednesday. Many a time I missed the taxi to ascot at 11am on the Wednesday because we were still getting home 

:-&

JayJay, VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

Large age range in this bunch, fathers and sons,  some of the senior citizens who have packed up their whites long ago, come along as scorers, "team managers", drinks waiters etc ....some have been coming up to Country week for 35 plus years and the tradition of GP on Friday Night (invariably Pacing Cup night), races on Saturday remains locked in. Sunday is a "rest" day with maybe a short training session ....always flexible and likely to be cancelled due to unexpected 24 hour viral infections...and then matches begin Monday. They still have Wednesday as another rest day......then they fire up again Thursday. As the week wears on, some of the young bucks struggle and the old boys always keen to drag the creams out once again and fill in, with all teams respecting the "no bouncers for over 40's rule". Mightn't mean much to city folk but it is a fundamental strand of country life. Winning is important but it is the process that trumps the results.

jum, curmudgeon, VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    JayJay said:

Large age range in this bunch, fathers and sons,  some of the senior citizens who have packed up their whites long ago, come along as scorers, "team managers", drinks waiters etc ....some have been coming up to Country week for 35 plus years and the tradition of GP on Friday Night (invariably Pacing Cup night), races on Saturday remains locked in. Sunday is a "rest" day with maybe a short training session ....always flexible and likely to be cancelled due to unexpected 24 hour viral infections...and then matches begin Monday. They still have Wednesday as another rest day......then they fire up again Thursday. As the week wears on, some of the young bucks struggle and the old boys always keen to drag the creams out once again and fill in, with all teams respecting the "no bouncers for over 40's rule". Mightn't mean much to city folk but it is a fundamental strand of country life. Winning is important but it is the process that trumps the results.

:-j  Manji and Collie are so alike.
    We used to start on the Sunday. Never won a Sunday game in my 17 years at country week, we were only getting home as the team bus was leaving. I remember one year we all made a promise that we would be dinkum and have a crack. NO KICK ONS AFTER ASCOT. 4 of us made a pact we would sneak off and not tell a soul. All fun and games until you walk out of a nightclub when its daylight...…..  But what made it funny is when our taxi dropped us of at the kebab shop over the road from our hotel. 6 other Muppets from our team were there ordering their kebabs. Our whole A grade team did the same thing.

We still have an old stalwart in John Bird. Pretty sure this is his 55 consecutive country week.
    He is one of 3 living country week legends named from the WACA, out of 6 still alive.. And absolute champion of a man
    edited January 2019
    Boys obviously benefited from the grueling training schedule at GP Friday night and Ascot on Saturday. Tragically, training on Sunday was cancelled on the advice of the honorary Occupational Health and Safety Officer (some bloke they ran into outside their Hotel on Sunday morning....when returning home) who declared it was too effing hot to venture too far from the pool. He advised extensive rehydration, which they avidly adhered to and promptly produced two outstanding wins today with both the B Division and the E Division teams recording what were described to me as "sheer class performances to blitz the opposition comprehensively". .Some team members were reprimanded severely for commenting that "if we keep winning, we may have to start taking this caper seriously". They were charged under rule 37 (b) for potentially suggesting unnecessary disruption to the immaculately planned social agenda that had been meticulously planned many weeks beforehand and for causing unnecessary angst to traditional teams hosts at nearby drinking holes of ill repute.

jum, VillageKid, curmudgeon likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
     More caviar for the Mayor  :-bd

VillageKid likes this post.

Nah, just toast and Karri Honey and a pot of tea. She has grown into a nice sized, proportioned  mare, had to give her some time with a nasty leg injury as a 3yo but Matt has worked wonders with his patience. Wasn't a super strong race but a nice result and another absolute ace drive.

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.