G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 18 Non Members

Hunter Cup - what a field!

Harness & Greyhounds
Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
edited January 2019 Harness & Greyhounds
Just under two weeks until the time honoured Hunter Cup - would be good if the top twelve in the betting all ran, in that case, just for the moment, My Field Marshall would be the rank outsider.

Tabtouch top 12
1. Tiger Tara $4
2. The Fixer $4
3. Spankem $6
4. Cruz Bromac $7
5. I'm Pats Delight $9
6. San Carlo $11
7. Star Galleria $13
8. Our Uncle Sam $13
9. Wrappers Delight $15
10. Buster Brady $15
11. Galactic Star $21
12. My Field Marshall $26

Top 3 in betting look the goods. Will be surprised if Cruz Bromac, I'm Pats Delight, San Carlo the next three in betting win.
Those three guys have the job ahead of them. Especially Pat & Carlo.
Cruz Bromac a fraction dissapointing in the Ballarat Cup.

Unsure if Star Galleria is arriving but he's a very good Kiwi horse. Has impressed often in the land of the long white cloud and wouldn't be out of it from a favourable draw.

Next one in betting the Inters runner up Our Uncle Sam has been a bit average since the final.

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2019
    To show what a barrier draw can do...just a day before the Pacing Cup draw Tabtouch had Vampiro $13 and Rock'nroll Lincoln $15.

Vampiro drew 8 and started at $71 fixed and better tote.
    Rock'nroll Lincoln 2 and ran at SP $3.70.

A horse like Wrappers Delight $15 for the Hunter Cup could start 80/1 - 100/1 from a difficult draw.
    edited January 2019
    I'm Pats Delight he was very dissapointing Saturday night.
    Tiger Tara, The Fixer and Spankem - there the three!
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    The Hunter Cup lost it's gloss for me when they took away the standing start. Now it's just another big mobile race with barrier draws controlling the market.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Agree, was one of the great standing start races but it fell victim to the all mobile loony lobbyists ...."What A Field" and Wrappers Delight, although I'd love to own him, doesn't sit too comfortably ....Star Galleria not out it but if Tiger draws, then you would think a one act affair.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts

The Hunter Cup lost it's gloss for me when they took away the standing start. Now it's just another big mobile race with barrier draws controlling the market.

But you have to be fair - you have to look at all sides of the argument

The year before they got rid of it - what happened - 5 or 6 of the stars galloped hopelessly at the start - it was a disgrace

Now put a WA slant on that - you have got  Im The Mighty Quinn Chicago Bull - and 3 or 4 other top liners - they gallop hopelessly at the start - lose 100 metres and knock each other over - thats exactly what happened in that Hunter Cup

If that happened in WA -  i think the officials would say where not going to have that again - we will switch to a mobile

Honestly some of you blokes - give it 3 or 4 years and you will be bagging Mark Purdon when he got caught 3 wide the trip ( and could do nothing about it ) in that Inter Dom final
    edited January 2019
    Put the headline of the Hunter Cup to ( what do most of the times ) get some conversation going about pacing.
    In no way indicate that because Wrappers Delight is in the field...it's a great race. The emphasis was on how important a barrier draw is.

I've talked about country cups in as much detail as Interdominion Finals. Will continue to do so.
    Enjoy pacing from all over the world and the time honoured Hunter Cup is no exception.

It's a great race and field to me - but then again so was the Albany Cup.

VillageKid likes this post.

"The year before they got rid of it - what happened - 5 or 6 of the stars galloped hopelessly at the start - it was a disgrace "

That was the Vic starters fault Marko ...like most things with the big V ...they just aren't up to it when the pressure is on

:-\" :-\"

VillageKid, Offthebit likes this post.

Recall a 'wild' Hunter Cup they went every which way - think it was possibly a daylight meeting on a Sunday.
    edited January 2019
    Ever since the 70s ( that's where I go back haha ) there's been this Eastern States v WA thing.

All I know ( from a punters view ) is seeing horses like Koala King, Welcome Advice, Hondo Grattan, Jofess, Popular Alm, Jodie's Babe, Sokyola, Sunshine Band, and about 250 others - their welcome in Perth any day of the week.

Exactly the same as would be rapt if living over east to see any top WA horse come over.
    I enjoy the horse - not the politics - stand v mobile...sprint lane v no sprint lane...there'll never be total agreeance.

Back to the Hunter Cup - kiss of death tip before barrier draw - The Fixer!

VillageKid likes this post.

Just a bit of gentle ribbing Riders ....never met a Victorian yet who didn't know everything  ;)

As you correctly said in a previous post.....standing starts...the thinking mans race.
    If I back a horse in a stand and it doesn't step I don't cry about it ...it is a factor you have to take into consideration prior to parting with your hard earned.
    The Hunter Cup and the Fremantle Cup used to sit alongside the NZ Cup as A grade stands for me personally ...that's my opinion. They had a uniqueness to them and now the kiwis have the last bastion of the stand .....say what you like about kiwis ...they understand and respect the value of tradition.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

Just a bit of gentle ribbing Riders ....never met a Victorian yet who didn't know everything  ;)

As you correctly said in a previous post.....standing starts...the thinking mans race.
    If I back a horse in a stand and it doesn't step I don't cry about it ...it is a factor you have to take into consideration prior to parting with your hard earned.
    The Hunter Cup and the Fremantle Cup used to sit alongside the NZ Cup as A grade stands for me personally ...that's my opinion. They had a uniqueness to them and now the kiwis have the last bastion of the stand .....say what you like about kiwis ...they understand and respect the value of tradition.

Absolutely spot on with all of the above Curmudgeon.

Ridersonthestorm33, savethegame likes this post.

Doubt that anyone will be bagging Purdon for sitting 3 wide in the Inter Dom Final....because it was the Fremantle Cup he sat 3 wide the trip.....just saying!

VillageKid, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited January 2019
    The good thing about The Fixer is he is neither from east nor west - he's a Kiwi and they are the real enemy haha their the slyest of the lot!
    No not really always the Kiwi brigade - from the days of the mare Blosom Lady and Master Musician. Beware the stablemate of The Fixer - Spankem.

If the 12 above ( emphasise if ) could have been gathered to jump time - and realise rarely works out that way - then according to Tabtouch and Before barrier draw - My Field Marshal and Galactic Star would have been the two rank outsiders.
    At that stage of the game it was a great field to me.

edited January 2019

From memory third Inters final at GP - Tiger Tara led, Chicago Bull behind leader ? , Lazarus breeze, Vultan Tin three back the pegs...who was one out one back ??

Stronger horse now Tiger Tara - their was a race in NZ after the inters that astounded with his strength.
    edited January 2019
    We should put out votes down and add them up, post it to headquarters. Nobody is ever going to change their mind.
    It's the sort of thing that should be sent to participants including punters.
    For me...
    1. No sprint lane.
    2. Keep the standing start tradition.

At the very least would like to how the % of votes falls.

Always tricky the way they put these questions though; do you think it's fair your horse not getting a crack at them up the straight - no.
    Would you like a sprint lane - yes please!

Word the questions simply.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fields/race-fields/?mc=GP081217

It changed a few times in running Riders but for the most part Soho Tribeca had the 1 x 1

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited January 2019
    What didn't realise was that Soho Tribeca early nearly found the gap between Tiger Tara and Chicago Bull, not quite enough room but not a lot in it. It's a fine line and a different result ( in place getters ) if that occurred. No doubt the best horse won though.

Chris Voak did everything but pinch third on Vultan. Tiger Tara was exhausted on the line.
    KP you had to go early!! Made no difference to the winning result though.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts
    In a perfect world - Standing Starts are great - if they all step

You can get a fool proof beginner ( and begins like a rocket ) and it can bomb the start- thats the problem

Rhetts Law - a very ordinary ordinary horse won an interdominion from a stand - Im the Mighty Quinn from a mobile would lap it - probably 60-70 metres it would beat it by

The thing with standing starts - and this has happened for 50 years horses  can have one trial from a stand - and if it doesnt gallop it passes it
  • OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    In a perfect world - all mobile starts are great - if they all score up.

Seen plenty of odds on pops 50m or 100m out the back at release point. 
    If this happens in a big race......lets ban all mobiles from now on.

Banning the stand for the hunter cup was the greatest over reaction of all time.
    Hunter Cup Draw:
    1. Our Uncle Sam         8. Wrappers Delight
    2. Flaming Flutter          9. Cruz Bromac
    3 Tiger Tara                   10. Star Galleria
    4. Buster Brady             11. Thefixer
    5. Raukapuka Raider
    6. San Carlo
    7 Can't Refuse

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited January 2019
    What about Spankem ?
    Tiger Tara - all over. Straight to the front anyway.
    Dont worry about the draw - for the place - The Fixer!
    edited January 2019
    Should be 5000/1 Flaming Flutter 5000/1 Ruapurka Raider 5000/1 Can't Refuse - sheesh what are they doing there.

Uncle Sam gets the dream draw on back of leader TT - interesting one for novelties...reckon been quite dissapointing since Inters runner up - but from the bullet gate, difficult to leave out of first four bets.
    edited January 2019
    If no Spankem - then not a full field of 12...what the ????

Market taken down - but three horses Flaming Flutter, Ruarpeka Raider , Can't Refuse all should be a million to one.

Years ago there would be half a dozen quality horses fighting for the final one or two spots in the field, this year one short of a full field - and for three horses, good luck to them but are just making up the numbers.

Where has the Depth of quality horses gone ?
  • OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    That's a very ordinary hunter cup field compared to years gone by. Harness racing victoria have got there karma for ditching the handicap standing start.

Kane_26, curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

edited January 2019
    And of course what doesn't help is Tiger Tara in the three. That's the last place he needed to draw to help the race be more competitive. Unless you took the $4 before draw!

He must now come into odds on perhaps around $1.60 to $1.80 ?
    edited January 2019
    Will it happen 4 times in a row ?

Tiger Tara - Inters Final - leads all the way.
    Field Marshall - Freo Cup - leads all the way.
    Rock'nroll Lincoln - Pacing Cup - leads all the way.
    Tiger Tara - Hunter Cup - will lead - will win ??
    edited January 2019
    If four horses lead all the way in 4 consecutive feature races - apart from seeing a pattern - it should be shown to Adam Hamilton and explained why standing starts are still a necessity.

Not having a go - think he's a great judge and very good to listen to, but succumbed a little too easily on the stands.

In saying that - other drivers - don't give it to Tiger Tara on a plate.
    Stablemates Cruz Bromac and The Fixer, for me Cruz Bromac has to go early and serve it up big time - why not ? It's probably the only way The Fixer can win.

Really like The Fixer - but what a bugger of a draw if no pressure on Tiger Tara.
    edited January 2019
    Have a gander at the other 6 horses on the front line Tiger Tara has to contend with - three of them are lucky to be in the field, then there's San Carlo he's a bit overrated, Buster Brady goes ok but just a rough place hope and Our Uncle Sam who'll hand up faster to Tiger Tara than a dropped school bag.

Offthebit likes this post.

edited January 2019
    The three big chances from across the ditch - the Kiwis - Cruz Bromac, Star Galleria, The Fixer, in a field of 11, they drew 9, 10, 11.

They'd be rapt with that. Mick Guerin will have a wry smile.
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    The tiger gets beat if someone shows some balls and adds a bit of pressure and makes it a proper test and not just a 200m sprint

Offthebit likes this post.