G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 40 Non Members

How about the 2YOs?

West Australian Racing

Comments

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,717 posts

Gilgamesh that is my whole point. Bob doesn't push them early and look at his results.

Bob also has horses with far superior breeding to 99% of the stock in WA
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,717 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

Gilgamesh that is my whole point. Bob doesn't push them early and look at his results.

Bob also has horses with far superior breeding to 99% of the stock in WA
    You are comparing apples with 6 month old oranges
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    ^^ and have pharque all a preparation later....
    give me my little $320k earning little pooch any day.....
    $-)
  • DharrisDharris    67 posts
    You guys should write articles on this stuff. Interesting reading both sides.
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Octagonal won a 2yo race on debut on 3/12/94. He won G1's at 2yo, 3yo and 4yo.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

Pierro won the Breeders Plate on debut 1/10/11. He won $4.5m before going to stud.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

there are always exceptions, rodent.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Rodent said:

Pierro won the Breeders Plate on debut 1/10/11. He won $4.5m before going to stud.

Arguably the best horse bred that year Australia wide from some 16,000 live foals. But what is your point ? You should try all 16,000 as 2yo's just to find the one of him ?

Fast way to go broke
    My point is there is no "rule". You race the precocious ones early and you show patience with the ones that obviously need time.

Gepetto, DamienWyer, Chelsea, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    Studies have shown that horses who race as early 2 yos even if unsuccessful have longer careers: 

The theory is that progressively applying early pressure without overdoing it leads to stronger bone growth.

Ngawyni won the Initial Stakes (then the first 2 yo race of the season) then another 18 races including the Australian Cup. 
  • NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    Jacks or Better ran second in a 2 yo race in December then won the Karrakatta and later the Railway in 91 starts. Plenty of other examples. The Sydney University study based on 115,000 horses is the biggest study I'm aware of.
  • thetruththetruth    45 posts

Maybe he should do a little more with them earlier like, education. Maybe then 90% of his horses wouldn't need blindfolds and barrier blankets.
    its obvious bob has a theory and sticks very successfully to it...

Dharris likes this post.

thetruth said:

Maybe he should do a little more with them earlier like, education. Maybe then 90% of his horses wouldn't need blindfolds and barrier blankets.
    I was unaware of those issues.

thefalcon likes this post.

Seems if you believe something, you’ll find all the support you’ll need online.

I’m not sure that you could do a proper study to really determine if two year old racing is better or worse anatomically. Too many variables. Male/female, gelded/entire, environmental, track condition, nutrition, blah blah blah.

I can’t imagine racing at 2 is “great” for them, or makes their bones stronger. But I can’t see how it hurts either. I think their healing capabilities are more advanced at a young age.

Our WA horses are going good. Exciting to track the ones that make it through the grades. Love watching old racing like the Dainty Tess, Variation, Stored Energy. 2YO vids.
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Early days but Amelias on Fire just won its 2yo trial in slick time by nearly 10 lengths for Simon Miller this morning.

No doubt looking forward to seeing it step out for the first time!

DamienWyer likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Jericho Missile & Miss WC will be an awesome showdown come Saturday in the 2yo feature

You’d have to lean to the race fit MWC of the two...
    hash said:

Jericho Missile & Miss WC will be an awesome showdown come Saturday in the 2yo feature

Barriers will be interesting.
    Do you get the impression that some of the nominations for the 2yo race are there just for the inflated stakes ? It's disappointing that a full field couldn't have been assembled.

Dharris likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Only 300 or so horses even eligible - less however many didn't have the nom fee paid up for (assume the exact number eligible is on a list, but I can't be bothered looking).
    Of those X number aren't in WA.
    X number have died or otherwise injured (no longer racing propositions)
    X number haven't even been registered / trialled yet.
    X number are shinny or otherwise not fit to race.
    X number...............

Doesn't leave many to assemble a 16 horse field.

Dharris likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    edited February 2019
    Dharris said:

hash said:

Field of 8-9, both horses being on pace runners, MWC likely to be in front of Jericho in the run I can’t see barriers having that much of an impact as both look to naturally go fwd and even if both were to draw the widest they’d press fwd anyway IMO
    hash said:

Dharris said:

hash said:

Field of 8-9, both horses being on pace runners, MWC likely to be in front of Jericho in the run I can’t see barriers having that much of an impact as both look to naturally go fwd and even if both were to draw the widest they’d press fwd anyway IMO

Just the extra distance is all I’m thinking about. I wonder how that will affect them.