G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 15 Non Members

Melbourne based jockeys riding Perth horses in Melbourne

West Australian Racing
At the risk of getting HOWLED down, I have an opinion that Melbourne jockeys should be put on Perth horses in Melbourne.
Yesterday at Caulfield was a prime example.
The fence yesterday was not the place to be.
Can be an expensive exercise for connections and everyone involved to take a horse to Melbourne and not give the horse its best chance because of loyalty and romantic dreams.
+1 -1

RIO likes this post.

Comments

• jumjum    3,512 posts

X_X  X_X  X_X

I agree in part.

RIO likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    expensive for the punter too X_X
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    Agree 100%, very poor decision
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    For the record I backed Brave Smash in the Futurity.
    Walker at one point had the horse's head at a 45 degree angle at least trying to get out and win the race.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    I agree 100% with all the above comments...
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    I was on each way but not for much, I have to agree.

Over here 100% keep the same jockey.

Over their you can’t beat experience riding at said track.

RIO likes this post.

melb. and Sydney would have the best pool of jockeys in the world.
    at least the Pearce boys had the right idea engaging Damien Lane.
    personally I have no bloody idea on how MM got into that all stars mile. when you see the likes of those who missed out, you just scratch your head. it ran almost last yesterday but I guarantee that with a local hoop on top it runs a lot closer.
    some people are in la-la land....

JimmyPop likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Voted in Falcon
    yeah, I know, spink but....
  • GLAMOURGLAMOUR    677 posts
    Probably why Pikey on 75 winners and daylight 2nd,think some of the riding ive seen today,some need to stick to the Bush.
    If pike were based in Vic he'd be riding at the outer tracks,
    He makes them look very average here because they are just that.
    He's a big fish in a very small pond

thefalcon likes this post.

I fear you are right toey, but I would not say the outer tracks..near city to start with.
    I don't think we realise how bloody hard melb & Sydney jocks work. the competition is savage, they'd fair dinkum eat their young.
    pike is a good rider with top mounts against very mediocre opposition.
    why would he think of giving the east a go...pharque me, has an ideal life on his property and probably pockets close to a million a year without a worry in the world.
    good on him I reckon.

GLAMOUR, Toepuntit likes this post.

• GLAMOURGLAMOUR    677 posts
    thefalcon said:

I fear you are right toey, but I would not say the outer tracks..near city to start with.
    I don't think we realise how bloody hard melb & Sydney jocks work. the competition is savage, they'd fair dinkum eat their young.
    why would he think of giving the east a go...pharque me, has an ideal life on his property and probably pockets close to a million a year without a worry in the world.
    good on him I reckon.
    Only ones who have made it,Damien Oliver,Damien Lane,but at least Fred Kersley jnr is making a go of it,but only riding on outer tracks,but his turn will come.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited February 2019
    @thefalcon The trainer was in the press saying MM would run practically every week to keep its fitness for the All Star Mile. It was crying out for more ground after the Orr Stakes and yet it ran over 1400m again yesterday. Avilius had no problem getting off the rail and Trap For Fools followed it all the way for a brave 2nd in the 1800m race. That race should have been the 2nd up target for MM but they seem fixated on the new race $-)

On a side note, why wasn't Lane riding Land Of Plenty? He didn't have another ride in the race and has ridden the horse in its past few races.
    Toepuntit said:

He on the current 2nd fav in the Newmarket, so we will soon see how he measures up
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Agree with nearly everything you said above Falcon. And as glamour said of the WA boys who have made a name for themselves over there. What we have to remember though is Ollie and Laney when over there as young blokes and established themselves in that environment . As you say Falcon why would WP go over there now at his age as P Harvey before him and be a second or third string rider to the bigger stables, when they make a very comfortable living here. As for mediocre opposition here you are to a extent right , not only in riding ability but also riding for the biggest owner with better quality horses makes the numbers between first and second as big as they are. I reckon though if a J .Noske could take mounts at the same weight and sat on the same quality of horses the tables might be different. But as you say good on him

thefalcon likes this post.

Toepuntit said:

He on the current 2nd fav in the Newmarket, so we will soon see how he measures up

One ride on what looks to be a very serious horse in the making won't tell you much,

edited February 2019
    What about Dean Yendall @spinking? Even when he was with Weir he was only 2nd, 3rd or 4th in line and made a decent living albeit mostly on the country tracks. Yet there he is yesterday winning the Oakleigh Plate with Booker. Now if Pike could get down to that weight(52kg), regularly, then opportunities would arise. He did ride Artcadia Queen at 50kg in the KT.

**I would add that Pike has won twice as much prize money from only 26 more rides this season. It just depends what he wants at this stage of his career.
    Toepuntit said:

Toepuntit said:

One ride on what looks to be a very serious horse in the making won't tell you much,

It would make a lot of trainers take notice, though

Toepuntit likes this post.

I figure that dean yendall was making about $8k a week from riding fees only!!! admittedly he was riding at least 6 days a week...
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    edited March 2019
    thefalcon said:

good on him I reckon.
    Non city tracks to start with my arse, clueless comment.

Will had been booked to ride 7 horses for some of Australia's leading trainers on one of the Autumns biggest race days at headquarters.

Slaughters as many as any leading jockey does but class is class no matter where you ride.

Non metro Melbourne jockey, please......
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    edited March 2019

Chris likes this post.

• GaryHGaryH    1,012 posts

thefalcon said:

good on him I reckon.
    Non city tracks to start with my ****, clueless comment.

Will had been booked to ride 7 horses for some of Australia's leading trainers on one of the Autumns biggest race days at headquarters.

Slaughters as many as any leading jockey does but class is class no matter where you ride.

Non metro Melbourne jockey, please......
    I think he's just had slow horses today......  Couple showed glimpses, and Graff was there for a while.  But VERY different to the WA pond.
    Willie got an 8 meeting suspension for interference in the Aust Cup
  • GaryHGaryH    1,012 posts

Willie got an 8 meeting suspension for interference in the Aust Cup

8!  WOW, he would have gotten 13 days over here..  Actually, with all the meetings in VIC, its about 9 days.  Or is that not how it works?
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    Pike can ride next Saturday then suspended until after the following Saturday.
    If you aren't riding winners you soon get forgotten,
    Pike just rode the runner up in the Adelaide Cup B-)
    reckon Bob would have sent him to ride SE in Sydney if he wasn't grounded?
    I think not...