G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 39 Non Members

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Harness & Greyhounds
Looking to JayJay to eventually fill in the blanks or make amendments but he is on Forum House Arrest for 24 hours to see if anyone else can come up with the answers.

Pinjarra 3yo race 1982 with about 16 bookmakers on the lawn out the back.

Betting plunge between two camps. I had my biggest ever bet $2k on one of the contenders the other was owned by a prominent owner of the era and the support for both horses was mammoth.

My choice was slow away from memory and further trouble in the run cost it any chance. The other contender was not good enough.

From memory the race was won by a filly who did not have a great career but had a similar name to an outstanding race mare.

Can any one name the three horses?

Comments

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Sorry doubled up.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    There is a rough chance I drove in that race @chariotsonfire ......if so I certainly wasn't on the winner  :))
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Sure it wasn't 1962 curmudgeon :))
    No ...that was you freo  ;))
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Chariots you don't give much away - a 3 yr. old race at Pinjarra night meeting in 1982!

Can't recall what backed at GP last night, let alone what won at Pinny a lazy 37 years ago.
    Oh that's right at GP was on Smoldering Ashes a place...go you good thing! Haha
    A few more clues.

The horse I backed went on to multiple group one victories and the other other horse that was heavily supported did not amount to much and was owned by Roy Annear.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Was jack retzlaff still private trainer of annears horses then because seanui? they slapped on him a couple times didn't deliver
    Unsure who trained the Annear runner at that point but no doubt JayJay an enlighten us when his 24 hour ban is lifted.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    edited March 2019
    Yep, it was Jack. (Although there was some out sourcing eg Lumber Leon with FRK)

Chariotsonfire likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    But it wasn't Seanui, he was earlier. He was a 1975 drop.
    preux  chevalier ? was the multiple group one winner
    One down savethegame two to go.
    Don't know the answer to this quiz.
    What I have worked out is that those of you who do know the answers are probably waiting for your Sunday visit from silver chain. =D> =))
    PS sorry to see West Coast go down last night sign of things to come.

One down savethegame two to go.

I think I drove Meadow Vamp in that race
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    A wild guess- well ive got the right era

A filly that didnt amount to much - was it Flying Wren

2k on the Frog and it got beat hey

Hows Curmudge - hes an alround superstar - he drove in that race - in between kicking goals for Perth - changing with Wiley and the Buzz on the ball - lol
    Barry Perkins used to stable his horses at our place in Kal when he came up for the round Marko. Usually had Robert Cushing with him. I remember being stabled at Pinjarra a couple of horses up from Preux Chevalier that night and having a yarn with Barry who from memory said his horse "went alright". Also remember his discs whistling as he went past me in the back straight. I think he might have run third but not many beat him for a long time after that.

Was the Annear horse Timely Score Chariots ?

Timely Score as a 1974 foal curmudgeon.

May be time to call JayJay off the bench to help us all out. 
    Very interesting with jack retzlaff, he drove his first winner at 36 years of age finished up with hunter cup, 2pacing cups  derby royal force, and numerous other features.
    edited March 2019
    Meadow Vamp and Preux Chevalier were 1978 foals so that part of the memory is at least on target
    Lumber Leon but I think he was trained by FRK
    lumber leon won golden slipper in 83 for  kersley.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts

Very interesting with jack retzlaff, he drove his first winner at 36 years of age finished up with hunter cup, 2pacing cups  derby royal force, and numerous other features.

Ray Retzlaff is obviously well past his prime as a driver - and has copped a bit of criticism on this site

But back in the era where talking about - i won some decent money on a couple of his Friday night drives - might have been the last race on the program each time - it was back on the old 700 metre track . Hed put his horses - 3 or 4 back on the pegs ( they wernt the leader processions they are today ) drive them real quiet - and i tell you what - theres no better feeling to have a piece of cardboard - which has $1600 or $2200 written on it - and Ray would get out at the top of the straight with a fresh horse - and the others were going up and down  on  the 1 spot

I rated him as a driver back then - very smart driver - and i loved backing his drives at decent E/W prices
    Esteve was a good performer for Ray who had the nickname "Rails Ray".

Markovina likes this post.

Don't know the answer to this quiz.
    What I have worked out is that those of you who do know the answers are probably waiting for your Sunday visit from silver chain. =D> =))
    PS sorry to see West Coast go down last night sign of things to come.

curmudgeon has 188 days remaining on the brasso  contract a good bloke like him,would   allow you to pop in, and he will show you the technique you never know you may need to put into use in the next 20-30 years.

curmudgeon likes this post.

The inflation calculator tells me that $2k in 1982 is the equivalent of $7053 today.

There is more chance of me flying to the moon than having $7k on a horse today. The other problem would be getting on as the corporate bookmakers that let me on would restrict me to less than $100.
    One more late clue the Annear horse was called Turbine when it raced in New Zealand.
     A big chestnut horse Chariots...ultimately disappointing?
    Thought it was a brown. Hoping I have the right horse but my memory could be playing tricks.

We will have to wait until our resident historian gets home from Collie.
    Turbine was a bay annear bought it nz. looks like it had seven starts for a  third its best, prior to being exported to Australia 7/10/ 1981,didn't realize the frog had fractured his cannon bone as a three year old until now