G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 29 Non Members

Your Favorite Bet Type ?

West Australian Racing
Nearly every person on the site like's a punt - so what are the favourite bet type's of punters ?

For me keep it simple these days - if possible and can obtain a profit - like to back anywhere from 2-4 of them in a race...or a couple of rough ones for a place. Think backing three or four to win is called the "Dutch" betting system. You need to be spot on often though. Numbers on your side - but still need to get that winner and if backing several, sometimes profit is not that great.

Tried most of them over the years ( no long term success ) don't mind the Quinella and still invest in them - it has a takeout rate by Tabcorp of 17.5% which by today's standards is fair to ok.

Think trifecta betting overall is the worst - occasional is fine - do trifectas every race and can guarantee a downward spiral.

Quaddies with a flat takeout rate of 20% pay quite well, especially in comparison to an all up win on the same result, due to being slugged the 20% once only over four races. Being successful at them though is the hardest thing - very rarely do one - even with Flexi betting - but still think their good if you can get them up from time to time.

First four betting - great dividends on the whole but so they should be, 22.5% takeout rate on first fours - too much.

Tony Brassell answered the question to his favourite bet type succinctly - "collect."

In order for me Win - Place - Quinella - Quadrella.

Comments

• JellJell    1,201 posts
    Almost always each way bets for me these days, I have to really like something to back it outright the win. My usual bet ratios are:

1 UNIT WIN - 2 UNIT PLACE
    My cookie cutter bet for most horses I rate a good each way chance.

0.5 UNIT WIN - 2.5 UNIT PLACE
    If I rate the horses a lesser chance of winning.

0.5 UNIT WIN - 1.5 UNIT PLACE
    My bet for horses I like at cricket score odds.

2 UNIT WIN - 4 UNIT PLACE
    Very rarely do I have this bet. I'd have to really rate the horse to run top 3 and it would have to be well over the odds. I think my last one of this bet ratio too get up was Special Delivery when he won first up this prep.

2 UNIT WIN
    My standard outright win only bet. As before though, I rarely bet win only.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    My favourite bet type.... any winning bet!

silky, jum likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    … on every race know to man.....a one way street to fiscal ruin......be selective my boy... :-B
    you'd be surprised these days! slowly learning  ;)

thefalcon likes this post.

• ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    All up doubles are my all time favourite

H-BOMBER, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• BucksBucks    158 posts
    Would have to be the quaddie followed by the trifecta in large open races

hash, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

scrap the trifectas and play the first 4's Bucks especially in the big fields

from what i've seen you generally have the first 4 selections in your trifecta combo and if successful and the fav happens to miss the top 4 the divis can be huge

as I say to alot of my mates, would you rather 50% of a $500 trifecta or 5% of a $50,000 first 4 when you have the winning numbers amongst your selections........ 

melb and sydney spring carnival time you see some ridiculous dividends but the best one i've got just last year was in the last race at Belmont in June last year when Witness In Court won and the odds on fav Midnight Sky ran 5th and it paid in excess of $130,000  

Bucks, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• BucksBucks    158 posts
    I'll be headed to the track this weekend Hash. Will give it a go!
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    I particularly like to have a trifecta if playing novelties, standing one out and boxing 2 horses for second and third. Tends to go well if having a look at the trots and there is a 1.50 favorite. For $50 you'll get 25 x the dividend and even if it only pays 10-20 per unit you hit a good collect. Otherwise if playing the first 4, stand one out and box 3 for 2nd, 3rd and 4th, $50 will get you 8.333x the divvy and they can pay really well between 75 and 150 buck a unit.

Like all bet types though nothing is a given haha

straight out...sometimes e/w...

Bucks said:

Would have to be the quaddie followed by the trifecta in large open races

GP trots last night - $14 winner, 1.40 second and $1.50 third, tri pays $214..... throw in a 50/1 pop that runs 4th and the first 4 pays $5663! yes they cost more to play and you get less percentage but when the difference in the divi is that big you'd be mad not to play them! good luck of you have a crack today keep us updated 

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited April 2019
    Some of the first four dividends - are amazing must admit.

Closest ever got to a massive one - the mother of all dividends - jagged about 8% ( not much ) of the 2008 Melbourne Cup trifecta Viewed, Bauer and C'est La Guerre - think the divvy was about 20k.

Not being smart or anything - mostly get these race's wrong - but honestly thought they were three good chance's along with fourth place getter Master O'Reilly - was a bit short in the hip pocket, played the trifecta and not spending a lot, 8% of the tri was best could manage.

Was over the moon to get, but look back at that Cup with dissapoinment because am pretty sure that first four paid just on 1 million dollars!!

It was the one that got away - not saying would have had a crack but even 5% of it would have been close to 50k. One in a lifetime bet.
    i'm pretty sure the first 4 the year Green Moon won and beat Gai's horse that won it the year later, that first 4 was close to if not more than a million then going even further back the year Shocking won the cup and the imports filled the placings I think, that was another monster divi!

There's been some monster's that's for sure - the Rogan Josh one must have been a motza - deadheat for third in that one. Second was rough - Godolphin and Frankie Dettori from memory and one of the dead heaters for third was 150/1 or something like that.

Hard to believe flexi betting has been in over 10 years now - because certainly remember when wasn't available.

Same principle applies though - you need to get back more than what you spend!
    not many 14/1 pops win at the red hots, hash..
    of course there is! it's just finding the ones that win  :D
    Some of these first 4 divis in the later races in sydney... 2 paid in exceess of 60k  :-\"
    edited April 2019
    How was the quad did in Sydney - was really a treble with Winx - over 12k - amazing.

Thought the trifecta on the WA Derby at nearly 100/1 was very good divvy and the first four excellent dividend.

The trifecta and first four with Winx - just like nearly every one of her wins - paid well.

hash likes this post.

edited April 2019
    Had a feeling in the Sydney Cup the Charlie Appleby import will either win by six lengths or be totally out of it and unplaced - was leaning to the later though.

When saw Damian Oliver on Vengue Masque in the Cup thought that's interesting, but that's as far as it went!