G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members
Went to Bunbury last night, positively tropical after a frigid Wagin the night before, too cold for even the Roo's to be out an about, thank goodness. Excellent racing both nights ......nice little crowd at both venues but the horses at Bunbury had a testing night with a cacophony of noise from a rock festival at nearby Hay Park...."Grooving The Moo" thumping out loud all night, the swab box at this set up probably busier than the one at Donaldson Park!!!

Is it worth asking the question as to why the 2 year old race was programmed as the last race on the card? I know the answer will be turnover, turnover, turnover....but to have the inexperienced horses hanging around all night with that background racket was a test for them and their trainers. the babies handled it very well, nice win by Frank Bonnett's horse.

Conscious of "Marko's Mantra" that Bunbury is a screaming leaders track, it was worth noting the number of winners that came from the back. I think Our Major Mama showed that she appreciates being driven cold, terrific run to win, same for Sleekyn Styx and Pierre Whitby who bolted in again....looks a very nice 3 year old.  I missed Friday night at GP and the commentary surrounding Speed Man but the pilot shut them up quick and lively with 4 winners in a row, no sleeping going on there. Yes, they were probably the better horses but gee, the drives were spot on, as were the Michael Grantham steers. And for lovers of the sprint lane, it was utilised very well by a couple of drivers.

Finally, the members dining room scores a 12 out of 10 with the homemade apple pie, custard and cream.....but the Wagin pumpkin soup with sour cream and bacon bits on a very cold night gets the gold medal. (Sounds like a My Kitchen Rules review). And Emily is going to be leading driver at Wagin for the season....by the length of the straight....after another terrific treble. All the press coverage afforded the racing apprentices is fine, a good thing but Emily, the Young Family, Corey, Bailey etc  kicking heaps of goals over the weekend.
+1 -1

VillageKid likes this post.

Comments

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts
    Hey Jay Jay - glad you enjoyed the racing Frid/Sat nights - only watched a couple of races at Bunbury - but did view the entire card at Wagin

Just on the track - do yourself a favour and watch race 1 Melton last night . Now i know Melton is out in the middle of nowhere - and an absolute shiit box - and i would imagine it would be pretty depressing to live their ( even though ive never been their ) industrial waste land etc

However in race 1 ( and i wasnt financially invested ) 2 comments - Ross Payne ( the winning driver ) who has been around the block a few times - a Kiwi - over here 15 years ago - dissappeared and now back . His drive ( the horse getting the 3 wide cart up )- thats one of the best and classiest winning drives ive seen in a long day - G Douglass runner got a freak rails run - however Ross Payne waited and waited and waited - and then sprinted brilliantly - and thats what i rate as exciting about harness racing -  and the Melton track allowed him to do that - that was a giant tick for the Melton track

If that had been Bunbury or GP - Glen Douglass horse wins easy- and there would have been nothing exciting about it
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    Markovina said:

Hey Jay Jay - glad you enjoyed the racing Frid/Sat nights - only watched a couple of races at Bunbury - but did view the entire card at Wagin

Just on the track - do yourself a favour and watch race 1 Melton last night . Now i know Melton is out in the middle of nowhere - and an absolute shiit box - and i would imagine it would be pretty depressing to live their ( even though ive never been their ) industrial waste land etc

However in race 1 ( and i wasnt financially invested ) 2 comments - Ross Payne ( the winning driver ) who has been around the block a few times - a Kiwi - over here 15 years ago - dissappeared and now back . His drive ( the horse getting the 3 wide cart up )- thats one of the best and classiest winning drives ive seen in a long day - G Douglass runner got a freak rails run - however Ross Payne waited and waited and waited - and then sprinted brilliantly - and thats what i rate as exciting about harness racing -  and the Melton track allowed him to do that - that was a giant tick for the Melton track

If that had been Bunbury or GP - Glen Douglass horse wins easy- and there would have been nothing exciting about it

Speaking of Ross Payne, if I’m not wrong he was stable foreman for Jayne Davies for some time,
    Was known as a very patient driver back in the day

Markovina likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    edited May 2019
    Just watched it Marko, yes a terrific steer, those boys would have to be Saint Kilda supporters looking at the colours and logo. He goes alright that horse, have watched him a few times as he is by one of my favourite ever horses and sires. The sprint lane became available for the Douglas horse 600m from home???
    All jokes aside, I agree that there are an awful lot of all the way winners at Bunbury (not all the time and sometimes because the standout horse in the field is drawn to lead)  but not last night, they were coming from everywhere. I managed to jump on a few of them (Pierre Whitby and Sleekyn Styx....was very keen on the latter, "best horse in the race, worst draw, get on" was my advice to our table of 8 fellow consumers of deluxe apple pie, and we all collected handsomely but I couldn't have Our Major Mama on it's recent form but they drove it back and home it rolled. And Nathan Turvey's trotter was one I missed mentioning earlier, he goes alright, bolted in as well.

Markovina likes this post.