ASCOT 18-May 5 6 7 8 AVERAGE
$K Hold 221.6 286.9 264.4 258.8 257.9
GP 18-May 2 3 4 5  
$K Hold 30.1 38.1 30.6 26.2 31.3
Ngn 17-May 1 2 3 4  
$K Hold 22.8 39.8 30.3 24.4 29.3
GP 10-May 1 2 3 4  
$K Hold 72.9 43.7 56 26.2 49.7
Over the years there has been much discussion about comparative turnovers with the gallops if we raced in prime time on a Saturday afternoon. The above figures indicate that it would be a disaster although it was a one off meeting and was allocated to Sky 2.

Turnover averages were in excess of 8 to 1 in favor of the gallops against a base stake money comparison of 3.5 to 1.

The Narrogin meeting on the Friday was not all that far behind the GP meeting and the previous Friday at GP showed why that is the best night for harness racing turnover.

No silver bullet from me but you can see why the alarm bells are ringing within RWWA and distribution will continue to come under scrutiny.

Comments

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    1,395 posts

ASCOT 18-May 5 6 7 8 AVERAGE
    $K Hold 221.6 286.9 264.4 258.8 257.9
    GP 18-May 2 3 4 5  
    $K Hold 30.1 38.1 30.6 26.2 31.3
    Ngn 17-May 1 2 3 4  
    $K Hold 22.8 39.8 30.3 24.4 29.3
    GP 10-May 1 2 3 4  
    $K Hold 72.9 43.7 56 26.2 49.7
    Over the years there has been much discussion about comparative turnovers with the gallops if we raced in prime time on a Saturday afternoon. The above figures indicate that it would be a disaster although it was a one off meeting and was allocated to Sky 2.

Turnover averages were in excess of 8 to 1 in favor of the gallops against a base stake money comparison of 3.5 to 1.

The Narrogin meeting on the Friday was not all that far behind the GP meeting and the previous Friday at GP showed why that is the best night for harness racing turnover.

No silver bullet from me but you can see why the alarm bells are ringing within RWWA and distribution will continue to come under scrutiny.
    There is a strong case that harness shouldn't race on Saturday at all turnover wise Chariots. It has become a punting abyss and it is not hard to work out the reasons. Will never change and any club coveting the Saturday dates are bananas if they think they can reinvigorate turnover and on course attendance to viable levels through Saturday harness racing. Less dire for country venues than GP though as the turnover drop isn't so great.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    1,760 posts
    I don't disagree with you comments regarding Saturdays Curmudgeon but many have seen Saturday afternoons as a panacea due to high patronage in TABs and Pubtabs.

It has, and never will, translate into turnover growth for our code.

By the way the figures provided above are purely Supertab parimutuel figures and could get even worse if fixed odds turnover was available.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    1,069 posts
    It would be interesting the comparable figures over in NZ

Because in  NZ - Harness Racing amongst the total poulation is appreciated much more - i mean Harness Racing in NZ isnt the ugly step sister of the gallops - which it has allways been in Aust

Why did i get interested ( and still are ) in Harness Racing rather than the gallops - was the excitement factor - as ive mentioned a few times - Kevin Newman - Harness Racing is 5000  times more exciting than the gallops

And from a punting point of view - so much easier to win on the harness - this forum proves that . I can remember the late Brian Blackmore tipped the card (  9 races ) at the Moonee Valley Trots one night - and they were decent prices to - i think Ritchie at GP got 9 of the 10 one night - and i think the one he missed ran 2nd - that type of  effort would be unheard of from a gallops tipster