G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 23 Non Members

AFL 2020

Sport

Comments

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Not trying to piss anyone off or make light of it but I'm just not bothered by them playing..I don't think I'm naive or stupid but why cant they continue to play and stay disease free, all involved would be living pretty isolated lives no? The risk must be immensely low to zero as they have had it assessed and continually monitor it...

Maybe the gov't will just suspend the two codes soon idk if they have that power?
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Tivers said:

How "Richmondy" is this whole thing ?

Finally we're the dominant team in the league, and this is going to rob us of a(nother) Premiership ! :(

The Raiders are in a similar position in the NRL. We were robbed in the GF last year and we looked in ominous form last week, the new recruits making us look capable of going one better this year. . The irony of a virus from china derailing a team whose major sponsor is a chineses phone maufacturer(Huawei)

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Rio are they really putting profit before participants health. Weren’t all teams consulted before this week and asked as a group if the season should start as scheduled. You would think the AFL only revenue stream through this period of no supporters would be from telecast rights. This virus is doing its best and seems to be successfully destroying our economy, at least by starting the season the clubs employees still have a income.The squads and those close to them I think would have very stringent testing regimes as has been mentioned 1 player becomes C9 positive it would basically finish the season. Everyone has a opinion on the codes going ahead right or wrong. What a lot has not been said though is the decision by the other industry’s that’s worth and generates millions of dollars to keep operating in virtually every state of Australia tomorrow

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited March 2020
    Yes Spinkster, in my opinion and the interpretation i have of the World Health Organisation. The first 2- 3 week period of when person to person infection starts is the period when most isolation is required, as it spreads in unknown ways, from unknown sources. That is now being seen by USA, Italy, Spain, France, UK and othere western countries.

In Aus they are trying to reduce teh amount of secondary person to person case. NSW and Vic are already starting to see the upswing in numbers. In the USA the reality is that out of all the people who had Covid 19 and no longer do, 60% have died, and the have very little idea where they got infected in the first place. And tomorrow that figure/ratio/percentage will be different.

So that is why this period appears to be the most important to stop/delay contact. An yes i do have a personal interest in the situation so i have been keeping a close eye on it, like most of us.

• spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    With the Victorian government banning non essential gatherings. You would think it’s season over
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    Off until at least end May
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Best for the Eagles today.......yes, “the big black panther”  =D> :x

RIO likes this post.

• oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    =)) [-X L-)

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    detonator said:

He had a MASSIVE influence today...Poetry in motion. Personally i think Barrass, Hurn and Gaff may have been in front of him for Best On Ground though. Then again i never read what the commentators say, so who knows. However if i was a selector i know that it would be months before Sheed would be back in my starting line up.....He is a serious liability
    WOW :))

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    We've only got the one opportunity to flap our gums, so thanks for being so understanding!!!
    :)) :)) :)) ;)

Thunderstruck, oldhendo likes this post.

I'll give you that mate, in these tough tough times ;)

RIO likes this post.

Time for y'all to brush up on the ins and outs of NRL :)]

Thunderstruck, RIO likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts

Bring back the Newtown Jets and i might get half interested mate 

Thunderstruck, therealkramer likes this post.

Markovina said:

Watch this space. A few clubs might go to the wall when the comp inevitably shuts down.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

Thanks but no thanks I think I will pass on that...........  I-)

JayJay likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Markovina said:

Will Chris Dawson still be playing?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts

Is Blocker Roach and Paul Siridon still playing for the Tigers. And that littel benny block. Used to love it back in those days
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts

RIO said:

detonator said:

He had a MASSIVE influence today...Poetry in motion. Personally i think Barrass, Hurn and Gaff may have been in front of him for Best On Ground though. Then again i never read what the commentators say, so who knows. However if i was a selector i know that it would be months before Sheed would be back in my starting line up.....He is a serious liability
    I was impressed by Barrass. Re energised and looked trim. 
    Gaff is a pro and looked like he could have played another match.
    Gawn got his wish and went head to head with Nic. Be careful what you wish for. 

:D

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Yes Gawn may consider what he really wants in the future!!!!! haha

Nic Nat will never make All Australian. He will never win a Brownlow. But if the Eagles win a flag in the next 3 years, he will play a large part in that happening..

detonator likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Who gets #1 draft pick this year ?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Tivers said:

Who gets #1 draft pick this year ?

:)) :)) :))

Maybe they will just be told to go around again with what they have!! 18 a side and 15 minute quarters!!!!
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Meanwhile, the bloated bureaucracy of AFL Admin, the 12 so called dozen "executives" who pocket a combined $10.56 million, head by Gil's handy little stipend of $1.74 million, want the players to take an 80% pay cut, whilst they are prepared to forego a 20% cut. Chris Scott to forego all of his salary down at Geelong. Stark comparisons here.
    Meanwhile, the WAFC is slaughtering local WAFL clubs, halving their dividend income whilst maintaining a staff of 130 who presumably now have nothing much to do....the talent spotters and coaching clinic organisers, the regional officers......there is NO footy going on ...anywhere.....haven't noticed anyone showing the way with voluntary pay cuts?
    At the grassroots level, many, many community and country clubs will disappear...forever.....they will simply disappear down a financial black hole whilst those at the top of the bureaucratic pile contemplate how to reinvest their "hard earned" after the crisis is over in order to punch their superannuation balance back into black.

VillageKid, RIO, Manchild, TheDiva likes this post.

It is bloody scary for local footy JJ.
    I fear for a number of WAFL clubs including my own beloved Swan Districts that I have followed since birth and the number of community and country clubs that I had an involvement with over the years as well.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    I think West Perth are already heavily in debt, or technically broke, very vulnerable, so they may well become extinct. I think the Black Ducks have all their "ducks in a row" and will be okay.

We would have at least 3 of the 7 clubs in our local league who would be on the critically endangered list, probably even prior to Covid 19, and without food, beverage and gate income, they will rapidly become nonviable. Normally, local businesses, farmers, individuals will readily put their hands in their pockets to keep the clubs afloat ......but they are all in the same boat dealing with potential financial disaster as well.

VillageKid likes this post.

I hope you are right JJ, one thing we do have in our favour is our geographical location being the only WAFL club based wholly and solely in the growing, football mad, blue collar Eastern Suburbs.

I will be saddened if any football club is lost due to this pandemic I should add.
    A few observations re the AFL - and whats going to happen 

I decided pre these course of events - that i wasnt going to watch any AFL this season - or read about and listen about  - and the 1st round - i didnt watch one minute - i didnt know who played who - i looked up the ladder Sunday night - and worked out the 8 winners and 8 losers

Whats going on - now re suspended league - a few things might happen next year

The players/coaches and clubs might be a bit more appreciative of the supporters - i mean lock out training sessions - what a load of nonsense - no supporters - then no big fat pay packets - i mean look at those assistant coaches - Kenny Judge used to say - assistant coaches - all care and no responsibilty - they are on tremendous easy money - and when one club gets sick of them - thevev got a mate someone else - so they hitch up their caravan and take their troubles to that club - and their back on the tremendous easy money gravy train - well alot of them have now been stood down without pay - a bit of a reality check their

There will be people like  me this year not following it anymore  - if this season gets cancelled - at the end of year - they might say to themselves - actually i didnt miss AFL - i did other enjoyable things - i might give AFL the flick - except of course  Richmond supporters - who are deadset nutters - fanatical - and thats all theve got in their life

So next season there might be a drop off in supporters/members following the game - people might do other pleasurable things in winter
    Marko by AFL I assume you mean the competition and not the sport of Australian Rules Football?
    Do you follow a local football team in your region be it at state football level, community football level or country football level?
    I dont really follow an AFL team as such (hope the WA teams do well from a state parochial reason) I more follow to see how the SD boys are going across the comp. 

Marko by AFL I assume you mean the competition and not the sport of Australian Rules Football?

Do you follow a local football team in your region be it at state football level, community football level or country football level?
    I dont really follow an AFL team as such (hope the WA teams do well from a state parochial reason) I more follow to see how the SD boys are going across the comp. 
    When the WAFL was the comp - i was a Subiaco supporter - i went to that GF in the 80s ( wet day ) when East Freo beat Subi 

Big Ron was Capt/Coach of Old Easts - Malcolm Blight had come over that week to help East Freo - because i saw him on the boundary line in their camp

A very young Peter Wilson was playing in the centre against the veteran Peter Featherby - Willo was a rough baarstard even back then - he was roughing up Featherby -which some of  the EF supporters enjoyed - i can remember some of their supporters yelliing out " Footsteps Featherby "  . Big Laurie Keene - beard and all was playing for Subi

I quite enjoyed the WAFL - even up to 4-5 years ago when it was on the ABC - found it was quite refreshing 

As for the AFL it use to be a game of chance - made it exciting - now it is a game of keeping off - got no interest in it at all- finished with it im telling you 

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Serious question what scoreboard on commentaries was first Wynns for Datsun scoreboard--or  the  Windscreens O'Brien scoreboard -----or they were at different grounds, same time. Wafl