G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 6 Non Members

AFL 2020

Sport

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    1,623 posts

Serious question what scoreboard on commentaries was first Wynns for Datsun scoreboard--or  the  Windscreens O'Brien scoreboard -----or they were at different grounds, same time. Wafl

You have got me there STG was it SD's Bassendean Oval by any chance?
    I have listened to some old WAFL broadcasts from the 1960s & 1970s with the legendary Frank Sparrow in commentary over the years and do know that "On the Metters Scoreboard" was used for Subiaco Oval matches especially old GF's from back then.

savethegame likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    1,704 posts
    Have no idea ,regards being at any oval ? ,maybe ? sponsers of around the grounds,regards score checks,listening on the radio, j.k.watts era as a commentator ?.they got value for money.both got a hammering.
  • JayJayJayJay    5,521 posts
    There were a lot of Archie Martin and Sydney Atkinson scoreboards as well....I think it was down to the station sponsor ......I remember "that's a contender for the Ozone Hotel mark of the day" or the Golden Fleece goal of the day? VK, Frank Sparrow's comrade behind the microphone was the meliflous and brilliant Oliver Drake Brockman.

VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

edited March 26
    On the old Ch7 World Of Football panel of a Sunday morning JJ that the late great Frank Sparrow hosted I can vaguely remember the Ian Diffen Mark Of The Day and the Town & Country Goal Of The Day or maybe the other way around.
    They were great days on both radio and TV for footy (sports in general) and race calling.

savethegame, JayJay likes this post.

• ManchildManchild    199 posts
    World of Football  show had the Dorf taps drip of the week.

VillageKid likes this post.

Manchild said:

World of Football  show had the Dorf taps drip of the week.

It used to be in the Football Budget every week along with the Mamma Maria's Bull Oscar Of The Week Award as well Manchild. 
    The likes of Mal Brown, John K Watts, Gary Carvolth, Tim Flynn etc were regular winners of either.

Manchild likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    1,192 posts
    I didnt mind Gary Carvolth - quite liked him

He used to have a sports show on the radio - many years ago - 6PR - it was on a weekday - about 3-4pm - went for about an hour - Mon - Frid

And i especially enjoyed when Carvolth interviewed Mahatma Coat - they were classics - Carvolth played the straight man in those interviews brilliantly - a bit like when that bloke use to interview Benny Hill - when Benny dressed up the Chinese bloke 

VillageKid, RIO, Manchild likes this post.

• (March 30 08:58AM )
    detonatordetonator    1,994 posts
    See Tony Cochrane (the Gold Coast President) had a crack at “Ross the Boss”.
    Totally justified in my opinion because.........  He just is ok 
    =))