G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 19 Non Members

Surviving A Slump-good article by Terry Leighton

West Australian Racing
RodentRodent    7,025 posts
edited November 2019 West Australian Racing
https://www.betfair.com.au/hub/surviving-a-slump/?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

PUBLIC PERCEPTION
“I can’t believe you punt full time. You’re so lucky to do what you do.”

The quote I’ve heard countless times when first sharing my profession with new friends (more so male, females tend think I’m some type of degenerate… probably accurately).

“You should do something you love.”

That old saying is pretty fitting in my case, taking my hobby and passion and crafting it into something more sustainable. I never for a moment take for granted how lucky I am to be in my position, but one thing that isn’t advertised publicly or included in the JD is the long hours and, at times, self-doubts which are all too frequent in this industry.

THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER
There is a common misconception that the average week of a professional punter is full of long lunches and hours spent working on your tan (one look at me and my see-through skin dispels that myth quick smart). Unfortunately, this couldn’t be any further from the truth in this very pale human’s case.

My average week consists of 60 to 70 hours sitting in the home office, creating markets and content and reviewing and previewing race meets. While I love these tasks (apart from reviewing the meets I’ve done my ass), the lack of official structure to the week is something I’m still getting used to.

When I first gave thought to giving up the 9 to 5 grind and took this show on the road, the thought of the freedom I’d have, and autonomy to do what I want, when I want, was a major draw-card. The grass is always greener, right?

THE STRUGGLES OF GOING SOLO
I’m a firm believer in being unable to objectively view a race once you’ve seen the prices, meaning I need to have all analysis completed for each meeting at least two, sometimes three days beforehand. This means that the majority of my work is completed early in the week.

I’ll often get to Thursday and the only person I’ve seen for the week is the young lady who sells me my morning flat white (the worst part is, I’ve just found out she’s married… thought I was around the $4 mark for a date at some point). Such a secluded and individual lifestyle is something I’ll never get used to.

For the first time in a few years, I’ve found myself going through a challenging period and the mental struggles that have ensued from that have surprised me. Difficult periods and runs are part and parcel of this game, but I’d never had any real doubts in my own abilities or structures I have in place (now I’m talking like an AFL coach at a post-game presser, after his team’s seventh consecutive defeat).

There is no manual to tell you how to correct your ways or what you’ve been doing wrong and for someone who has always been confident (bordering on cocky), it’s been confronting to question my own mortality in the industry.

TRUSTING THE PROCESS
While I’ve got all the right structures in place to sustain the tougher runs and my own personal results don’t really affect me too much, what I have found and what has surprised me is how much a decline in public tipping results can affect your mental attitude towards your analysis.

My strengths and model for sustainable long term success has always been about identifying value and investing and tipping accordingly. I will always personally back and suggest an investment on a runner who is not necessarily my ‘gun to head’ on top selection.

“As we say, it’s a marathon not a sprint and we’re after long term success, not a quick fill-up.”

Recently, I found myself purely concerned with selecting winners, regardless of whether it was over my rated price. I lost my point of difference and thing which made me, me. It got to a point where I recently decided to have a few weeks away from public tipping.

Anyone that knows me would know how hard this decision was, as I love nothing more than writing about Perth Racing. It’s always nice to back a winner yourself, but to have a bunch of your mates and readers be a part of that win, there is nothing better.

THE IMPACT OF SOCIAL MEDIA
My recent spell has made me contemplate social media and the psychological role it plays in our industry.

Social media is an absolute godsend for those looking to promote their products and services and is also a great medium to establish connections and network with other racing minds. It’s also filled with endless self-promotion and the very publicly flaunted successes, which can promote feelings of inadequacy.

It’s no different to people putting their lives on Instagram and or Facebook. We are constantly comparing ourselves – in life and as punters against a fake reality. The ability to understand the nature of these platforms and how they can affect you, almost subconsciously, is of paramount importance in this industry. We are all just basically teenage girls, comparing ourselves to our favourite supermodel.

LOVING THE GAME
So much of the punting related content we see in the mainstream media is to do with success stories and the lifestyles attached to professional punting. I felt this piece was an opportunity for me to stand up, as someone who has done this and done this successfully for a long time now and say; this is not always easy.

“This lifestyle is hard. The mental aspect of this can be brutal. But I love it.”

I love predicting market fluctuations and moves. I love unearthing that next hidden gem. Hell, I even love doing the form for six maidens at Northam on a cold and wet Thursday afternoon. Very simply, I love the Great Game. One thing I have learnt recently is that to do this, you have to more than just love it. You need to be immersed in it, while not losing your identity outside of racing. There is more to life.

I’m hoping this resonates and even comforts others in the industry (punter and analysts alike) and educates those who are looking to become further involved on the mental aspects of our game. It’s never easy. But just remember, you are never alone.
+1 -1

jum, LETSDOTHIS likes this post.

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    I wouldve thought he'd know that reviewing the meetings where you've done your ass are more productive in the long run than watching endless replays of races you've won on . I've heard sport stars reflect on how you learn more when you lose and it's an observation equally as accurate when talking about the punt.

PackedMetalPanda likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    I hope you haven’t been comparing yourself to that flog Tom Waterhouse on social media...with his bevy of nodding and smiling bimbos? The bloke never loses... so he says 8-}
    edited November 2019
    A good read by the way... give up that betfair gig... it’s like you’re being produced by stock aitken waterman
    You’re welcome back at PTT any time

jum, rooboy likes this post.

You haven’t signed up for the Platinum package @TheDiva? The victory celebrations on a Saturday arvo when an even money fav salutes...they never disappoint. The brunette is way hotter than the blonde tho =P~

TheDiva likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Flog or not, Tom Waterhouse is very good at what he does.

jum likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    it must be hard on the family at times, terry.
    H-BOMBER said:

Which is what exactly?

H-BOMBER said:

Which is what exactly?
    flogging about how good he is on social media. 

H-BOMBER said:

Which is what exactly?

Getting people to subscribe to his services. Whether he's a good tipper/punter seems to be irrelevant. That's why I think he's very good at what ever he actually does.
    BTW I'm not a subscriber
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

H-BOMBER said:

Which is what exactly?

Sold a bookmaking business for $36 million,  plus his debts. With bonus's included.

All by the age of 35. Id say that he is extremely good at what he does. Yes he has had a fair ole kick start in life from Ma and Pa. But he didn't **** it up like most kids his age do when they come from a priveliged background.

And yep he comes across as a flog. But he does have some very good points about how Australian racing can be fixed. And he doesn't mind putting it out there.

showing serious concern for the situation now in Hong Kong is our mate Tom:

·
    2h
    Dark times in HK, person shot yesterday
    ????, races off today. Booked with Platinum Members to go to International Race Day in December might head to the Tatura instead for the Italian Plate Day.

therealkramer likes this post.

203137162X2
    TheDiva said:

showing serious concern for the situation now in Hong Kong is our mate Tom:

·
    Dark times in HK, person shot yesterday
    ????
    , races off today. Booked with Platinum Members to go to International Race Day in December might head to the Tatura instead for the Italian Plate Day.
    They want deocracy and freedom. He wants to have his ego massaged by tipping favs to his crew. How dare they rain on his parade! 
    jum said:

H-BOMBER said:

Which is what exactly?

Sold a bookmaking business for $36 million,  plus his debts. With bonus's included.

All by the age of 35. Id say that he is extremely good at what he does. Yes he has had a fair ole kick start in life from Ma and Pa. But he didn't **** it up like most kids his age do when they come from a priveliged background.

And yep he comes across as a flog. But he does have some very good points about how Australian racing can be fixed. And he doesn't mind putting it out there.

You're confusing him with the Tripps who wrote the book on starting a corp and selling to an investor at a massively inflated price. William Hill sold for what? $300mil after Sportingbet, Centrebet & TW was worth a billion?
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    I will take $1.10 odds that he is not running his social media. Poor taste regarding honk kong, but i dare say he has no idea what was written
    paraletic said:

I will take $1.10 odds that he is not running his social media. Poor taste regarding honk kong, but i dare say he has no idea what was written

Really? I'd say it reads like exactly the sort of entitled, self serving tripe he'd write.

paraletic said:

Really? I'd say it reads like exactly the sort of entitled, self serving tripe he'd write.

im that confident i would take $1.05
    paraletic said:

paraletic said:

Unless you know something we don't, I'd lay that $1.05 for plenty
    Does he appear in those sick bag videos he posts on social media or is that a stunt double?

hash likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    paraletic said:

paraletic said:

How much do you want on Para?? I’ll be a good bloke and let you boost your odds from 1.05 to 1.50....
    $200 on to make a quick watermelon??
    I'm pretty sure Jason Dundas' media outfit does all of Tom videos.

• JimmyPopJimmyPop    316 posts
    Blah blah blah

• goosegoose    1,628 posts
    Good article punting fulltime would be very hard gig to sustain like the money traders in training who can make a fortune with play money but cant do it with their own cash.
    The mind is hard to work out if on a run and punting with zen like focus any change to outside circumstances such as a birth or funeral will throw your punting out almost impossible to stop it happening. Over time you can get it back then the challenge is to keep backing your 20 to1 shots like the 2 to1 favourites once your confidence has been dented.

thefalcon, JimmyPop likes this post.

edited December 2019
    paraletic said:

https://twitter.com/tomwaterhouse/status/1203616237621673984
    stunt double... but... how did they find another flog as big as Tom to pull this one off? 
    AND... in extremely poor taste... poor bloke cant get a cab while the people of Hong Kong fighting for their freedom.

paraletic said:

stop de-railing the thread! =))

Good to see Terry got 2 winners on Sat

yes true.. this should be a Tom FREE forum. 

jimbo1 likes this post.

TheDiva said:

yes true.. this should be a Tom FREE forum. 

<:-P
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    Toms best of the day on Saturday (Australia wide) was Sentimental Gift FYI