G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

2 Members & 30 Non Members
I think this bloke is/ was  an owner . I donk know who trains his horses , they might be in a bit of pain.

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Co accused is the fellow Anthonisz who has syndicate horses with Darren McAuliffe.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    did I hear talk of $25 million? jeez. talk of a "close relationship"....this could get messy.
    I feel sorry for the wife and teenage kids...
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Do the crime cop the time . First class grub taxpayer money being rorted . Heard there is some trainers still waiting to be paid training fees apparently

oldhendo, detonator likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    This thread had taken a bit of time to hit the airwaves, but I would be cautious in what you may say as it is before the Courts and public discussion could hamper proceedings.
  • JimmyPopJimmyPop    316 posts
    It looks dire and the Govt. will fight very hard in this situation. 

They could be behind bars for a very long time if found guilty.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    I think that Whyte fellow had horses with Damien Miller the same time we had one with him. never met him though...
  • sonnysonny    1,056 posts
    I think he had interests in Vollkoff and Multiverse .

RIO likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Another example of loose accountability in the public sector.
    If a couple of people get 18yrs for stealing $600,000 worth of gold from the govt then this punishment should be worth .....

spinking likes this post.

• tonytony    2,361 posts
    Front page plus pages 2 and 3 in the West today outlining the scam and the racing connection.

Whyte's partner in the matter Jacob Anthonisz had stakes in Art Series, Rebel King, Rebel Knight, Rapid Eye Movement, Rewrite the Stars and The Big Show.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    And many other horses / shares with numerous other studs / stables......

RIO likes this post.

edited November 2019
    Appears though only if you train horses for WCE Players are you afforded the courtesy of a disclaimer pointing out there is no suggestion you knew anything about it

paraletic likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    tony said:

Front page plus pages 2 and 3 in the West today outlining the scam and the racing connection.

Whyte's partner in the matter Jacob Anthonisz had stakes in Art Series, Rebel King, Rebel Knight, Rapid Eye Movement, Rewrite the Stars and The Big Show.
    and the list of the accused is a lot longer than that and goes back many years
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Can anyone post the articles?
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Gutter journalism to say the least. Dont excuse the crime, not one bit. They will and should be dealt with harshly. But posting photos from a social media account as intimate as the birth of your child, very very low. Kids have nothing to do with this.

oldhendo, jum, JayJay, Manchild, hash likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Neither does racing really. How are trainers or anybody mentioned in that story to know they were committing the offences. As you say Para journalists just trying to guage a reaction linking. It to racing
    edited November 2019
    I was thinking the same thing. They owned a few racehorses. Big Fn deal. Call the major crime squad on racing australia....
    I’m sure they spent a lot of money on a lot of other things too...... most not providing a return like racing does. (Ie need not actually spend much on racing as it generates income).
    Why none of those things mentioned ?
    (Answer - not the topic of the month ?)

TheDiva likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts
    Its amazing how slack the controls can be in the public sector - re taxpayers money

There was that case in the USA ( saw it on pay tv about 5 years ago - so i might not have all the details correct  ) but i reckon it takes the cake

There were 2 sisters - running some small non descript hardware store in a country town  . And i think because  of 9/11 or something - the govt decided to fast track ( payment )  of any hardware purchases they made

Anyhow  1 of the sisters on an invoice for under $100 - accidently on the freight charge - typed in $500 instead of $5 - govt paid the $500 freight - so she thought hello - i will try it again - paid in full again

Thus both of them on their govt invoices- just kept bumping up the freight charge - all paid in full

At one point they were raising an invoice for say $90 of Nuts and Bolts - Freight charge $177000 - paid in full- unbelievable amounts

They got away with it for several years - had all the trimmings - luxury houses - boats - overseas holidays for the relatives - the lot
    Wow
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    edited November 2019
    If the money was spent on racehorses then technically I own a share of all those horses.
    As a taxpayer I would own aprox 0.000001% $-)

Manchild likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited November 2019
    Markovina said:

Its amazing how slack the controls can be in the public sector - re taxpayers money

There was that case in the USA ( saw it on pay tv about 5 years ago - so i might not have all the details correct  ) but i reckon it takes the cake

There were 2 sisters - running some small non descript hardware store in a country town  . And i think because  of 9/11 or something - the govt decided to fast track ( payment )  of any hardware purchases they made

Anyhow  1 of the sisters on an invoice for under $100 - accidently on the freight charge - typed in $500 instead of $5 - govt paid the $500 freight - so she thought hello - i will try it again - paid in full again

Thus both of them on their govt invoices- just kept bumping up the freight charge - all paid in full

At one point they were raising an invoice for say $90 of Nuts and Bolts - Freight charge $177000 - paid in full- unbelievable amounts

They got away with it for several years - had all the trimmings - luxury houses - boats - overseas holidays for the relatives - the lot

Bit different this one marko. The guy accused doing the devious 5hit was the gate keeper, doing all the checks and balances..Really hard to detect in those circumstances
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    The real issue in the public sector is that successive governments beat their chests about cutting staff numbers and the first thing to go is integrity and auditing thoroughness. Penny wise pound foolish....as this case shows.

TheDiva, thefalcon, detonator likes this post.

Government incompetence should be the big story here...

thefalcon, detonator, Gilgamesh, JimmyPop likes this post.

• ManchildManchild    682 posts
    Whats the old saying, Its only a rort if your not in it.
    I have nfi about govt process as ive always worked private sector but does govt get books audited by EY or PWC as same with any big company?
    surely each department has accounts people? is there no checking of invoices at all? 
    how can $25 mill go missing from any business without questions being asked? 

thefalcon likes this post.

• JimmyPopJimmyPop    316 posts
    TheDiva said:

Government incompetence should be the big story here...

So true. 
    The ABC 7,30 report - government incompetence.
    The Whyte/Antonisz affair - government incompetance.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    paraletic said:

I have nfi about govt process as ive always worked private sector but does govt get books audited by EY or PWC as same with any big company?

yes and no..it is complicated. But basically every dollar has to be accounted for and they get audited for variations annually. So the books are made to balance and the funds are made to be spent against an approved activity.

Whether there have been audits against the legitimacy of the activities is another question It appears there is a 50k ceiling for expenditure approvals that may be void of that. Every govt entity generally has a figure that can be approved by line managers...Which i am not sure woudl ever by audited. $40k out of a $6billion  state budget(Am just using a figure i have no idea how big the state budget is) is not a figure that should need to be audited....But in teh future??????
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    The problem with these sorts of rorts is that the paper work can be perfectly correct,

I worked for a large private company many years ago and a similar "scheme" went on for several years before it was picked up and only because a senior manager queried what he saw as an inflated price for a building extension.

From memory I think 4 guys ended up serving time.

RIO likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    The lass from ausdrill  helped herself  to10 million over eight years,100,000 a month dubbed the golden printer cartridge accountant------think shes heading for the big house.