G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 33 Non Members

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2019
    Anyway good to fill in with some nostalgia as we wait for another 3+ weeks until the Perth Cup.

About seven of them go around in the Towton Cup this Saturday - a race that can recall 16-18 runners going around in the past, this week just a maximum of 8.

As far as the market for Perth Cup noticed the very few eastern states horses nominated are drifting in the betting, the chances of them running maybe remote.

The Towton Cup 8 will be quite interesting just the same - a very even bunch.
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Hi Rodent, Just out of interest did you work for other stables?. Thanks,
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    sonny said:

Hi Rodent, Just out of interest did you work for other stables?. Thanks,

Not really however I did strap a horse for another trainer when it won at a non tab meeting in Wellington NSW. The horse ended up running 4th in a Group 1 WFA race at Rosehill, The Ranvet!
    edited December 2019
    Two NSW stayers use to place the pocket money on that bring back good memories: Trafalgar Square and Big Butch.

Grand Scale another, think from Sydney, ran fourth at 250/1 in a Caulfield Cup.

In later years two fave's were Oompala and Mr. Prudent.
  • careycarey    6,368 posts

Mick Goreham, Garry Willets, Peter Cook, Mick Dittman, Darren Gauci, Kevin Forrester, Malcolm Pay, George Evagora, Brendan Clements are just some that rode successfully for him.

Another reason liked the owners coming over on a Sunday morning - " so you can pay your accounts!"

Surround a champion filly won the Cox Plate at three, and pretty sure he won another Cox Plate with a horse by the name of Abdul, early 80's.

Gurners Lane Caulfied/Melbourne Cup double, think he trained the quinella in the Gurners Lane Caulfield Cup too.

You forgot Alan Trevena & Rodney Dawkins and later Brian Andrews from NZ
    Trevena was his main rider from memory and was usual rider for Surround.
    Our ex syndicate horse expert used to be his foreman,and had told me many tales of Murphy and his foibles.

thefalcon, jum likes this post.

A couple of months between posts @carey 
     Good to see you still chiming in on occasion.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    yes, I've missed your input, carey.
    Hi Rodent ,Just as a matter of interest , What was the horses name..Thanks..
    edited December 2019
    sonny said:

Hi Rodent ,Just as a matter of interest , What was the horses name..Thanks..

Oops, just as I was about to post the horse's name I checked its record.....it actually ran 7th in the Ranvet. It ran 4th in The Gloaming. Can you believe they bet 6-1 about a horse that ran 4th in The Gloaming in a 3yo C5 non tab race at Wellington? He led all the way and won by 5.5L. Easy money for a struggling Uni Student!
     Roadworthy
    Did mention Alan Trevena a little bit earlier in the piece @Carey.
    Hi Rodent, Those days horses that were even money shots would open around 7/4 because of the %. Now even money shots open 2's on. Great to read the jockeys. Larry Mortell was apprenticed at the farm to Harry McCoy with M.Usher if my memory serves me well.. 
     Sorry.. Larry was apprentice to Steve Quintano who moved up North after his son Luke was bashed at Skelseys.. 
    I found my copy of the aust. derby 1978...must have been home for xmas.
    the visiting jocks were sponsored..
    r. corner coles elders bloodstock
    h lee aust. insurance brokers
    g dettori fiat-lancia
    w. carson Lombard finance
    p remmert premier motors
    a Barroso Houghton ford
    h nakajima toyota
    r Higgins rod evans autos
    m sng blue funnel line
    y st. martin.bell tyre centres
    j guce taimac video

the book also told us g.webster snr was leading the top jockey award with 97pts from t. finger on 93 and j Wilson on 91.

the 6PR team was stuart low, George kenaway, stuart shenton, trevor Jenkins.
    I saw stewie last week, he's going OK.

I also found in the book an ols photo of dad with darby munro and Arthur ward...funny what you find in old drawers...

• ChelseaChelsea    1,369 posts
    thefalcon said:

I found my copy of the aust. derby 1978...must have been home for xmas.
    the visiting jocks were sponsored..
    r. corner coles elders bloodstock
    h lee aust. insurance brokers
    g dettori fiat-lancia
    w. carson Lombard finance
    p remmert premier motors
    a Barroso Houghton ford
    h nakajima toyota
    r Higgins rod evans autos
    m sng blue funnel line
    y st. martin.bell tyre centres
    j guce taimac video

the book also told us g.webster snr was leading the top jockey award with 97pts from t. finger on 93 and j Wilson on 91.

the 6PR team was stuart low, George kenaway, stuart shenton, trevor Jenkins.
    I saw stewie last week, he's going OK.

I also found in the book an ols photo of dad with darby munro and Arthur ward...funny what you find in old drawers...

I bet you have a lot of old drawers Falc????????
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    And a big closet
    everything from bloomers to G-strings, Chelsea.... :D

Chelsea likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    You didn't notice the pictures on page 2 of this thread Falc
    sure did, spinking, just added a bit to it when I found the book...in a drawer.

haven't opened the big closet, diva, thought you might pop out...
    ;))
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Frankie dettori -----Dad  Gianfranco Dettori  could have rode in w.a at least twice thought he rode in perth same time as Lester Piggott early seventies as well as 78 could be wrong
    edited December 2019
    Didn't realise Terry Finger had such a good trot, but does ring a bit of a bell now, him being pretty good.
    George Kennaway 6PR can't say can recall the name.
    Around the same time there were a couple blokes rode here for George Way. . Gary gath T. Finger and Keith Watson also remember George bringing a bloke called Doug Messingham over to ride

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Spinning --remmeber those rider's messingham was from Queensland and finger used to ride the famous front runner in melb scotch and dry who lead by 20 odd lengths and forget to stop other riders would get a bake from stewards. There was a crazy called Greg Dunn as well

Ridersonthestorm33, spinking likes this post.

edited December 2019
    A couple of obsure blasts of past jockey's from the sensational 70's...put your hand up if remember these two - Terry Buswell & Nigel Spencer.
    And a very good 1400, 1500 metre horse - think was quite unlucky in the 1500 metre ( as it was back then ) Railway Stakes - could get back in the field, and sometimes not much luck - Gilt Patton.
    riders, it was a fantastic horse owned by frank pagoda and trained by "uncle" hugh jamieson.
    I was living in Sydney when hugh brought him over, won the Liverpool cup and other top races. I think bill camer and darby McCarthy rode him.
    I know I backed him on course....

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Greg spider Dunn. Got the story for 60 minutes about the jiggers back then think he had a small problem with a well known poppy back then.sold some of his mates down the drain to 60 mins setting up the story. Some of those blokes still involved in racing to this day . Obviously a first class grub. But before he derailed was a likeable bloke
    Keith Watson very good rider even better when the cash was on . Now has a very successful business. Still see T.Finger every now and then . G. Gath I think killed in a car accident as for Spider Dunn who knows
    Funny how names stick from that era two horses had winning streaks clashed no idea which one won but there names were heliolight & chez Felix ------
    edited December 2019
    And another one won about 7 or 8 in a row - Orange colours - Craigie Boy.

Recall hoop Dale "Spike" Short coming over from Melbourne to ride the handy Micron into third placing in Railway Stakes - Micron carried about 48 kgs today would carry 53 or whatever the min is for the Railway.
    Craige boy trained by brain Mueller Think falcon-- R.Stewart the trainer was apprenticed to bill Dillon who I reckon had kendon.