G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 38 Non Members

VALE "FASTMONEY"

West Australian Racing
I am sure a lot of you will remember fastmoney, a regular contributor here about 2 years ago. his new work position precluded him from further contributing but he was a regular viewer. 
his name is Dean Starkie, as well has being an almost genius at greyhound form he was a real decent man, a lovely human being.
he leaves his wife Juanita and 2 young children.
RIP mate.

Comments

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    he was also a part owner in Essayez with many of us. 

RIO likes this post.

• BlacksAFakeBlacksAFake    2,372 posts
    Never saw eye to eye with him,but sad to hear

therealkramer, TheDiva, Tucool, theduke likes this post.

• MuldoonMuldoon    317 posts
    My heart skipped a beat always thought Fastmoney was someone else. 

Very sad all the same though, especially for the children losing a dad.

Tucool, RIO likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2019
    Amazing that nearly two years gone by since left the site as "Fastmoney", very knowledgable and always gave me the impression would be very difficult to debate against.

Posted some wonderful photos, no surprise now, how involved was with the greyhounds, his tipping efforts nothing short of superb.

Even though had very minor skirmishes once or twice ( soon learnt I needed my facts 100% correct ), he was often on the punters side, and saw the overall picture of racing and gambling in a positive light, and of wanting it to do better.

Time goes very fast like passing through a station, RIP Fastmoney.

cisco, RIO, curmudgeon, theduke likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts

RIP Fastmoney.

Got to have a beer with him at Ascot on the PTT day that Jell organised.. Absolute cracking bloke 

Very sad to hear this.

RIO, curmudgeon likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    Here is a photo of him on the day. He is the gentleman on the left
    jpg
    jpg
    8bddeaa3acda80968240544612c00a.jpg

FreoHitman, detonator, SKIDS, curmudgeon likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Didn't Fastmoney get a gig on some board to do with RWWA or something like that. And stopped posting after that due to what he maybe perceived to be a conflict of interest. Think him and Kramer had some robust discussion over the journey.Regardles may he rest in peace and condolences to his young family

jum, RIO, rooboy, curmudgeon likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    That was him Spink

RIO likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited December 2019
    He definitely was no fan of me and a few others @spinking. I'm happy to leave that aside. Terrible for his loved ones especially so close to Xmas.

BlacksAFake, Chris, spinking, RIO, rooboy, theduke likes this post.

• ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    RIP mate

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    So sad. I hope his family get through this rough time. RIP.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited December 2019
    Big loss to his loving family.

I was fortunate enough to be shown his work office. It was just after we had all been debating the Sydney syndicate on here, and how they seemed to "know" which ones to get on. It was then i realized why so many of us were called Mug Punters. The amount of data they had, from so many different things that were measured, just staggered me.

Was lucky enough to have a few really good chats with him over the journey. Helped him get involved in a few horses after he gave the dog training caper away and i hope his loving family dont track me down and blame me for that!!!!

He will be missed by many

RIP Dean
  • Horses were in his blood too Rio. It was always going to happen :)
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    God bless you, mrs. fastmoney.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    I was fortunate enough to become great mates with Deans parents Rod and Marie Starkie during the eighties ( both prematurely and sadly deceased ) and watched Dean and his sister Carol and brother Todd grow up.  Rod was a well known figure as a harness trainer reinsman and latterly a thoroughbred  trainer as well as a horse dentist who took over the business started by his father Gilbert ...Deans grandfather. Dean grew up loving a punt and was always a pretty good judge with a competitive streak....when he took up greyhound training he had plenty of support from his family and that of Rod's childhood best mate Graeme Shortte ...father of David.
    My last contact with Dean was in 2017 when he posted a couple of pics on this forum and prompted me to msg Fastmoney as I recognised the subject of the pics from the eighties in the Starkie games room/shed. Dean was enthusiastic about moving from Casuarina to Secret Harbour at the time and gave me a run down of the thoroughbreds he had an interest in....a flat out honest assessment of their achievements and prospects going forward....as was his style. 
    That was the last time we communicated and I was staggered to hear David Shortte mention that Dean had passed away on the Aftermath program last sunday.
    It is an absolute unfairness that Dean should be victim like his parents of illness that proved insurmountable and at such a relatively young age.
    My heart goes out to the family.
    Deano...it was a pleasure mate.
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    thefalcon I have sent you a private message regarding this 

cheers cisco
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    Hello Boys,

I wanted to try and help Dean's Family. I want to donate $500 but as I live in Melbourne, I need somebody to coordinate this from the WA end. Once everybody has donated whatever money they can we can send it to Mrs Fastmoney. 

Can somebody please reply to volunteer with their bank details and lets help where we can.

Cheers cisco

jum likes this post.

• JellJell    1,201 posts
    Very sad to hear, condolences to his family.

I too met him only once that day at Ascot, that Jum mentioned. Great bloke, RIP mate.
  • FreoHitmanFreoHitman    426 posts
    RIO said:

Big loss to his loving family.

I was fortunate enough to be shown his work office. It was just after we had all been debating the Sydney syndicate on here, and how they seemed to "know" which ones to get on. It was then i realized why so many of us were called Mug Punters. The amount of data they had, from so many different things that were measured, just staggered me.

Was lucky enough to have a few really good chats with him over the journey. Helped him get involved in a few horses after he gave the dog training caper away and i hope his loving family dont track me down and blame me for that!!!!

He will be missed by many

RIP Dean
    Funny you mention the famous "Sydney Syndicate" , lets see how active they are now that Paul Whyte won't be laying a bet for a while. 
    Sorry to take this off the beaten track , RIP Fastmoney
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    Although I haven’t posted in long long time, as I have had other issues that have taken up my time,  I have from time to time read PTT.

Today is one of those times and I am absolutely shattered to discover the untimely passing of Dean who I only knew as Fastmoney. 

I read a biography just before posting this on the greyhound website and see that he succumbed to brain cancer, probably one of the worst forms of cancer you can get. So young. So unfair.

I think it is fair to say that he and I differed greatly on a number of issues, most notably the Essendon drug saga. He was passionate in his defence of the club and players and what he perceived to be a lack of evidence and that they did not deserve the punishment meted out to them,  and I was just as passionate that they were all guilty and deserved their collective punishment.

We exchanged some pretty harsh words, and while I do not regret the fact that our discussion or debate became so heated, we had a difference of opinion and there was nothing wrong with that, we certainly did not part on the best of terms when he left PTT to take up his position with RWWA.

And I do regret that. 

I would have liked to have met him, and I am certain that I would have discovered that he was a decent human being and I would hope that he would have thought the same of me.

My deepest sympathy and condolences go out to his family.
    May his dear soul Rest In Peace.
  • theduketheduke    284 posts
    I can vouch for Dean being one of the most knowledgeable in the greyhound game. And a very fair-minded bloke that was generous with his time and help to others.

RIO, hash, curmudgeon, Mrs_Fastmoney likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Great work by Shortte at his celebration of life ceremony today.

I am always amazed how some of the kids of today can stand and speak so well at these ceremonies. His daughter did an amazing job in paying her respect to her Dad for all the wonderful times they shared.

Definitely one of the good ones taken way too young.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    Good man Rio. Trust life is treating you well.
  • theduketheduke    284 posts
    Agree totally with Rio. Shortte did an amazing job and I am sure that Deano’s family were very proud of what he put together and delivered so beautifully.
    you are correct about kids of today, rio. an old friend passed away and his 3 teenage grand-daughters spoke at the church..he would have been SO proud of them.

theduke, RIO, spinking likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    edited December 2019
    I don’t know how anyone does it under such trying circumstances. Shows terrific character to be able to stand up and deliver those words

RIO, Flanders, spinking, theduke likes this post.

its all in the breeding, diva..

spinking likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Sometimes in todays world we look at its youth in bewilderment, and think were is it heading. then you read a story like above or see the action of a kid helping  a elderly person out and i think maybe after all its not heading to hell in a handbasket. As you say Falc its all in the breeding. My two nieces delivered a eulogy at my dads funeral that had me in tears how they got through it albeit sometimes in broken voice talking about a man they so clearly loved and would miss forever had me beat

oldhendo, RIO, rooboy, theduke likes this post.

• LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    Dean took out the Gerry O’keefe award tonight for his commitment to the sport at the greyhound awards night tonight

oldhendo, curmudgeon, jum, Chelsea, spinking, RIO likes this post.