G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 33 Non Members

Has Bob ever acknowledged his trainers

West Australian Racing
I can’t recall Bob giving Grant and Alana or Adam any credit or acknowledgement of the way they train and present their horses.

+1 -1

Flanders, GLAMOUR, SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

TheSwooper dislikes this post.

Comments

• FlandersFlanders    1,199 posts
    lick said:

I can’t recall Bob giving Grant and Alana or Adam any credit or acknowledgement of the way they train and present their horses.

Ditto.
    Even though they are given the best bred horses to work with and the 10% of the prizemoney, they still deserve the credit for getting the job done. Durrant also.
    The stress associated with training for that bloke must be immense. A little bit of public acknowledgment would be something.

hash likes this post.

TheSwooper dislikes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Bob maybe should name his next good one "On The Spectrum".  :D
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,743 posts
    Probably doesn't believe he needs to do so as they get his very good horses to train and make a multitude of dollars as a result.  $-) $-) $-)
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    I'd much rather hear from the trainers then the same excruciating practice of trying exract something out of him after the race. It seems they (the trainers) have been told that Bob is the one to be interviewed and that no information on his horses is to be revealed separately by them. Might no be the case but certainly comes across that way.

jum likes this post.

• TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    This team has achieved amazing success for a long period of time and it just doesn't happen on its own. Their approach is certainly working and I would imagine that everyone feels valued and respected, otherwise it just doesn't happen. We might not quite appreciate some aspects of it (eg the interviews), but it works for them. At the end of the day, I suppose one could go and ask them personally.

RIO likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    What if you don't know Puffer or Adam Swoop . Bit hard to stroll up and ask in that case
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    spinking said:

What if you don't know Puffer or Adam Swoop . Bit hard to stroll up and ask in that case

If not tried Williams, but i have spoken to Adam on more than one occasion without us knowing each other... An Bob is generally okay for a chat as well.

However, if i started asking questions about their horses, i have a feeling the conversation would stop in a bit of a hurry!!!!
  • wedgewedge    266 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

I'd much rather hear from the trainers then the same excruciating practice of trying exract something out of him after the race. It seems they (the trainers) have been told that Bob is the one to be interviewed and that no information on his horses is to be revealed separately by them. Might no be the case but certainly comes across that way.

Trainer entitlement is a strange thing.
    Sub contractors that use owners to invest cash into bloodstock only to have them promote their own interests and bet when they like.
    Bob obviously sees this as a crappy one way deal with racing media frothing over trainer/ jockey profile, tbh I don’t blame him for managing this his way.

RIO likes this post.

Fair enough.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    edited January 2020
    Bob says this is his business. He employs quite a lot of people to run that business, who all contribute to it's success and further enhance his reputation. But they are like his employees of past businesses, such as Auto Classic where I once sold cars for him. If you wanted more money, sell another car. A pay or salary increase was unheard of, he paid slightly above the base and as a result that became the standard for all sales staff, regardless of time or loyalty.

Don't expect any thanks for doing so, as he believed that as the only BMW Dealer in town in those days, he had the market by the short and curlys. People who worked for him should have been grateful that they had such well paying positions. All bonus payments were well known in structure before any calendar month or year begun, you either met the requirements or you didn't, but if you consistently under performed, you were managed out.

So that is his outlook on life and business. If he pays the bills and meets his obligations under your mutually agreed employment arrangements, he owes you nothing else. No thanks, no publicity, no referral or recommendation. I felt sorry for those struggling but it was a cutthroat environment. It was designed that way.

It's just business.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Bob doesn't need to high- five, or give bear hugs blow kisses or cry. for the masses or thank anyone because if his not happy with the results, he moves on------Williams& Durrant  would walk around there properties and say if it wasn't for bobs involvement we wouldn't have this or that.

Plus Bob as tactic he shifts horses from one camp to the other, to keep both on there toes and sharp for the betterment of his horses great coach.

Don't have to be a Rhodes scholar to browse over some numbers, to see  every bodys happy.

2016/17  till now----17,005, 508----Williams stable probably mostly bobs horses

2009/ till now--------38,994,640---   Durrant stable---the % would be slightly less in regards to bob.

The Boss is Happy.----so are the workers.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    I wonder if Waller will get another horse to train. I would say no

savethegame, JimmyPop likes this post.

Think Waller blind sided him with the Everest fiasco, Bob with list of trainers he has had over the years,very rare for him to walk back over broken- ground, having said that can recall Durrant,and Bob rebounded from a difference....But it would never become public- but I would-be very surprised to see Wallers name training a cerise and white runner. 
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    can anyone remember who trained star exhibit when it won its first cup?
    none other then Geoff Durrant...with young jarrod noske on top...
    thefalcon said:

can anyone remember who trained star exhibit when it won its first cup?
    none other then Geoff Durrant...with young jarrod noske on top...
    Falcon before getting everyone in a fossil fueled spinout------Kendon? 1970-71 horse of the year. trainer --will nail today---- dillion or spencer.----got anything yet.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    A monkey on Dillon for mine.
    for jayjay to risk a monkey I bow to his knowledge.
    the horse was named by the Summers brothers Ken and Don.
    Don (miserable old buzzard, never bought a drink when Willoughby was winning everything..in fact NEVER bought a drink for anyone but himself).
    could have found out from him but he snuffed it...
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    I was only talking to Murray Dillion the other day in the street . He lives over the road from my mate just across the road from Ascot. He is Bills son i am sure he would know
    hey spink, see if you can find out..put us out of our dilemma..thanks
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Geoff Durrant and Jason Miller were co-trainers of Star Exhibit when he won his first Perth Cup.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    edited January 2020

KENDON by Martello Towers (AUS) gr. H, 1966 DP = 6-0-2-0-0 (8) DI = 7.00   CD = 1.50

Owner: D. & K. Summers. Trainer: W.J. Dillon. Regular rider: F.Treen

Won 9 races in succession. (Incl. D/h with Heliolight in WATC Turf Club Quality Hdp, 1400m)

^ thanks jayjay.
    now we'd better get out of here before hash goes off his noggin for hijacking the Peters thread!!

JayJay likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    edited January 2020
    thefalcon said:

^ thanks jayjay.
    now we'd better get out of here before hash goes off his noggin for hijacking the Peters thread!!

:-j :-j

the sooner the better... wouldn't you guys prefer to have it all under one thread to discuss some great history all of you are so familair with so that the Y gen like myself can learn a bit about

PNG
    PNG
    Capture.PNG
    edited January 2020
    Falcon Quote: can anyone remember who trained star exhibit when it won its first cup?
    none other then Geoff Durrant...

Geoff Durrant was d
    isqualified for 9 months for a prohibited substance detected in a horse presented for a race before handing over the reins to Adam.

Locally there has hardly been any trainers disqualified since and certainly not for that length of time and that was about fifteen years ago

so dad goes and hands the reins to son? in other words business as usual... :-S
    You can relate Falcon with the Greyhounds.  Britton to her partner Halse

RIO likes this post.

below the belt SG...until you know the real story..... :-L
    Falcon that was not intended to be below the belt just an example of trainer replacement and no matter what the real story is as you know it being closely associated, I can only go on information previously provided by stewards and media.

RIO likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    That handover was a long time before Star Exhibit won the cup though, Durrant snr and Miller were co training because Adam was having a well earned break and experiencing a bit of life away from racing was he not?

H-BOMBER likes this post.

Correct