G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 26 Non Members

annoying owners

West Australian Racing
Ryan Hill will not have endeared himself to any owners of horses he rides. After stating in todays west about the annoying owners they have to deal with sometimes at the races.What for the whole 5 minutes before and 5 mins after a race  Ryan. He should try beeing a trainer if he reckons its hard being a jockey putting up wiyh annoying owners
+1 -1

hash, GLAMOUR, jum, detonator likes this post.

Comments

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    edited March 2020
    without reading the article i'll chime in...
    he rides a few winners and it goes to his head it seems... sheesh 
    i'm assuming he may be referring to the group of new owners to the industry that have shares in the Owners Only Own The Dream horse? (watch me dance) 

some of the most talented, experienced and much more successful jockeys would rarely if ever voice such an opinion PUBLICLY 
    it was just last week I was fortunate enough to speak to Willie Pike as we were leaving the Bunbury races to get some feedback on a horse of ours he ridden earlier that day and he was more than happy to chat and give his opinion as they all should and let me slur a few questions his way, he even allowed me to carry and lift his bags into his ute 

it's all part of the job i'd of thought and how you handle it and Hilly should count himself lucky he's in an industry where he can get away with not having to be 100% truthful (the old tell em what they wanna hear mentality) do your job keep riding winners and put up with the "annoying" owners because if it weren't for some of them he might not have as much luck getting on the better horses
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Not read the article, but not surprised with the statement. Have had one jockey refuse to talk to me over the years. He rode a horse that we 100% owned and had the same opinion as Ryan. I told the trainer he wasn't to ride the horse next start...Trainer took the jocks side, told me to sort my own rider out, I put a 4kg claimer on and she won!!!!!

But i have found like you Hashy, that the better the jockey the better communicator they are with the owners........In fact i wonder if it is the other way around??? ;-) 
    refuse to talk to you... I can see why now i've met you in person  8-X

RIO, Notapuntas likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    edited March 2020
    No doubt owners can be overbearing thats why i generally don't say a word to the jockey or the trainer before a race other than “hello and good luck”. And also i own bugger percentage in my horses so i acknowledge my ownership gets me no say - im happy with that arrangement as well.

But with more owners the more chance u will get a sling so i think he is shooting himself in the foot here.. or are slings a thing of the past??

spinking likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    a sling? have a look at the jockeys car park!! at about 200 bucks a ride an average rider can have 10 rides a week...that's 2k without riding a winner.
    a sling on an outlying track is probably warranted..
    many eastern states jocks are millionaires...yes, even young Damien lane would be up there...imagine how much bowman, oliver, boss etc are worth...
    $-)
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Im with you Para.I have got shares in 3 horses the most being 10% . That does not i beleive entitle me to say to the jock how it should be ridden or interfere in its programming. The bloke thta steers mostly i know on a personal basis  so its always just a gday and good luck. (even though in my own mind im thinking dont fu.. this up lol)

RIO likes this post.

• LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    Link to article?
  • LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    No owners, no horses, no rides for the jocks.... Maybe some hoops should remember this

spinking, RIO likes this post.

Unfourtunatley Letsdothis i am not that tech savy . Its in the West Australian under heading hoops head to the dogs after shootout
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    I have had plenty of conversations with Jockeys post race in mounting yards. Some are weary of upsetting the Trainer so they don't give away much, others just tell you like it is. Conversations simply can't be limited to those days you ride a winner.

100% guarantee that Bob doesn't get ' look mate I'm a bit busy, ask the Trainer' as a response.

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    Knowing that Ryan Hill is a bit of a funny bugger, I'm fairly sure he would have been just having a laugh and maybe it has been taken in a different context to how it was either actually said or intended to come across.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Not jockey related but something to do with overbearing owners. Worked in racing adminstration for two years and nothing brings out the worst in owners than the g1 barrier draws. Phones ring off the hook about when invites will be issued, to whom and how many. I reckon i used to get at least 30 phone calls about “why havent i been invited yet”. The entitlement on some of them is immense.

Lucky enough to have a horse that has raced in 6 group 1s and been invited to all the barrier draws.... been to none! I dont see the point in it if you are not drawing the barrier.

RIO likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts
    thefalcon said:

a sling? have a look at the jockeys car park!! at about 200 bucks a ride an average rider can have 10 rides a week...that's 2k without riding a winner.
    a sling on an outlying track is probably warranted..
    many eastern states jocks are millionaires...yes, even young Damien lane would be up there...imagine how much bowman, oliver, boss etc are worth...
    $-)
    Not having a crack at you falc...however...the outlying tracks, as you call them, are certainly not running for the stakes of city or provincial. The jocks wont even go unless the trainer or owner pays for their airfare. If your confidant and want to have a bet you may be able to get $50 on with both bookies, if they turn up. Add the cost of getting there and any extra's, there is not a lot left to "sling" the jock. However the majority of trainers do and at their own expense, then try and recover it from the owner/owners.

cheers 

RIO likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    Annoying Owners...When I first read that I thought it was  going to be a general tip for jockeys on how to do so

Notapuntas likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,053 posts
    Hi Lets Do This,, You forgot no punters ..then the rest....

• MinesACoronaMinesACorona    184 posts
    Hasn't much room to talk Hilly, I admire jocks for their dedication. But in all honesty Hilly is one of the last I'd want on any of mine
  • FreoHitmanFreoHitman    426 posts
    Did he really say this ????? .................. a real tosser if this is true
    edited March 2020
    ok after reading the article and seeing how it was published I am leaning towards him saying it in a sarcastic jokingly manner, still best left unsaid IMO not very professional    :-??

detonator, spinking, jum likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Yeah nothing to see here.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    More overkill..smfh
    Agree Bomber . Said tongue in cheek.But easy enough to see how it could be a little offensive to owners he has ridden for.As Hash said above most probably a comment best left unsaid even if it was intended to inject some humour
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Remember Clarence ( Scobie) Kingston telling me in Kalgoorlie circa 1967 that the hardest thing about training horses was training their owners. Nothing changes under the equine sun  ;)) . It's an exercise in human relations

RIO likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2020
    Only ever owned the one horse, unfortunately wasn't much good, one day at the track I called out to it "hey" and the bugger looked at me and said "yes please."

RIO, oldhendo likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    was having a think about not being able to go to the races and discuss with jockeys the riding instructions or tactics from now on.... so above problem (annoying owners) solved by Coronavirus!  :D