In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 26 Non Members

When will we get to the track ?

West Australian Racing

Comments

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Tivers said:

Day one back to class and a Sydney school has had to be evacuated.
    Leave the tracks (and state borders) as they are for now thanks.
    Happy to watch from home - maybe even the pub in a week or three.

I will be watching from home this week, may even post a video or two if I get a few winners over the line!!!
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Had a photo pop up on my memories yesterday that reminded me of exactly that............. THAT face (expression) !!! 
    :))
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    Now a seond Sydney school a few hours later.
  • LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    I’d rather be away for the track for a few more months and not risk losing the races at all, than head to the track, have a positive case and have the whole industry shut down for a period (And trust me, I’m missing getting on course)
    Tivers said:

Had a photo pop up on my memories yesterday that reminded me of exactly that............. THAT face (expression) !!! 
    :))

lol yep I know the one.
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts

I’d rather be away for the track for a few more months and not risk losing the races at all, than head to the track, have a positive case and have the whole industry shut down for a period (And trust me, I’m missing getting on course)

That’s such a motherhood statement with no basis in fact.  That thinking is preventing the whole state from getting back to normal and is costing businesses and livelihoods.  Belmont is set up perfectly to have participants up one end and patrons up the other and also you are ignoring the obvious fact that there is no community spread in this state.  Schools in Sydney are not relevant to us here either

hash, detonator, AbbysAce likes this post.

And here we go (pos blowout).
    6 today off a ship, and numerous contacts being chased up.
    So for now that will freeze all lockdown removals.

thefalcon, JimmyPop likes this post.

• LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    Yes, it’s probably being a bit precious but are we really losing that much by not having people at the races compared to having people at the races? Even if it’s a small risk, I’m okay with not risking it yet, but I get it differs from person to person

JimmyPop likes this post.

Federal govt stuff up again with a ship in Freo. This thing can turn on a dime because of ignorant govt employees. Prepare yourself for no live sport until jan 2021.

detonator likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    easy tiger... they've all been quarantined and none left the ship. The system is working just fine in WA. detected and quarantined. There's no reason we cant be back at the races as the numbers for gatherings are lifted (ie no good at the moment as its only 20 ppl). A racing crowd is much more spread out than say a footy crowd. 
    I reckon the first step might not allow the participants to mix with the general public though (ie mounting yard, stables area etc)... just my guess. 

Just on that note... Tasmania called off its racing months back and is due to resume in June... that has got to have devastated the whole industry in Tassie... when the other states have successfully continued. 

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited May 2020
    Gradually easing restrictions is supposed to test the waters for undetected community transmission and asymptomatic cases. And WA differs to NSW, VIC in population density, and greater density seems to encourage the spread of the virus. SA & WA for example have less than half of NSW's population combined. The scientists & health officials are still learning how this thing works tho and if they don't know then a safety first approach is probably wise.

edited May 2020
    Not quite so simple...............
    Numerous local workers, starting with the pilot, boarded the ship and interacted with the crew.
    Technically they could have been infected, and have been out in the community for however many days now passing it on to who knows how many people.

HOPEFULLY yes, it's just the 6.
    But nervous couple of weeks now hoping it hasn't got out further than that. (or any other crew ON the ship).

So I wouldn't expect any more easing of anything until this has passed.

edited May 2020
    TheDiva said:

easy tiger... they've all been quarantined and none left the ship. The system is working just fine in WA. detected and quarantined. There's no reason we cant be back at the races as the numbers for gatherings are lifted (ie no good at the moment as its only 20 ppl). A racing crowd is much more spread out than say a footy crowd. 

I reckon the first step might not allow the participants to mix with the general public though (ie mounting yard, stables area etc)... just my guess. 

I get your point I was just pointing out how quick these events turn. Yesterday was plane infections (yes they are quarantined but what about the staff and other passengers that could be infected), today a ship where port authority boarded the ship not knowing people where infected. What happens 2moro? Still a long way to go in my opinion and mistakes can happen.
    yes ofcourse... there will be hiccups along the way for sure.... but we have to take some risk if we're going to get business/racing back on track. The way the WA govt have handled the risk has been pretty good i think. 

LETSDOTHIS, hash, detonator, thefalcon, jum likes this post.

100% Diva, people who want zero risk should then be calling to ban all cars in WA. You can’t accept the risk of driving when 200 people will die every year yet when 8 people (and at the risk of being callous all were on their way anyway) die in 4 months we want to shut the whole joint
    edited May 2020
    @Precision1-to drive you need a licence and you have to be insured so there is a clear difference. If you accept the risk of driving and are at fault in the even of a fatal crash, you're still liable for any civil claims. Does public liability insurance include death or permanent disability arising from COVID-19 I wonder? 
    @therealkrama you actually prove my point there.  If you decide not to take the risk of going on the road you have every right not to. Same as if you think the virus is not worth the risk of going out to a venue you don’t have to.  But both are such a small risk it’s irrational to not do something for them. 

@therealkrama you actually prove my point there.  If you decide not to take the risk of going on the road you have every right not to. Same as if you think the virus is not worth the risk of going out to a venue you don’t have to.  But both are such a small risk it’s irrational to not do something for them. 

There's a huge difference. You have to be on the road to be at risk whereas this virus doesn't need roads. The only vehicle it uses is the human body. You may accept the risk but those that you potentially pass it on to? Not so much.

spinking, thefalcon likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Quoting Perth Now.
    Ship reported to Dept Agriculture on May 20 that 3 crewmen on board were sick.
    Commonwealth Govt granted permission for the ship to dock at Freo On May 22 with 3 crewman having elevated temps.
    Perth worker boarded ship on May 22 to steer it into the dock.
    May 24 was the first time that Freo Port authority new of any sick crewman.
    Mark McGowan only knew of infected crewmen this morning May 26.
    WTF.        

:-q
    edited May 2020
    As soon as their is 1 community based transmission their will be 10, we won’t be going to the track but lets hope the ship pilots don’t contract anything
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    A ridiculous comparison ban all cars
    edited May 2020
    NSW has 383/478(80%) of the total active cases. By comparison VIC has 58(12%). Yet today's recovery numbers[NSW(3), VIC(8)] suggest those in VIC heal faster. Surely from a numbers perspective, you'd expect NSW's recoveries to outpace VIC, relative to their total cases i.e 6:1. I could accept this if today was an anomaly but NSW's numbers have been suspiciously askew for a while and recoveries weren't being reported for a week at one stage.

I'd be very surprised if there were any more than 150-200 active cases in NSW. Someone on twitter actually tallied up new cases over the past 5 weeks in NSW up til 22/5, and it's 148...now if the virus has a lifespan of ~21 days before most people recover then there's over 200 of questionable active cases...even allowing for a 14 period of no symptoms and/or two negative tests. There should not be the time lag showing up in one state/territory but not another. 

**I should clarify that I'm referring to confirmed cases. It's impossible to predict the number of undetected cases with any certainty but it would surely be >0
    spinking said:

A ridiculous comparison ban all cars

It’s not at all, virtually every political commentator has made the same comparison.  We all live with a level of risk like going out in a car as we think it’s so small.  You fly in a plane as a crash is unlikely yet not impossible. I repeat no one has caught this virus in WA for 34 days. The risk is sooooooo small it’s irrational to be worried about it.  Does anyone here even know a person who’s been infected?   

9 people have died in WA from the virus since it started, more are dying from virtually every other disease that exists, car crashes, murder, suicide. You wouldn’t know it though. 
    edited May 2020
    Would those be right wing commentators @Precision1? It's a false equivalence becos the cars are no danger to anyone once they're not on the road. You take the virus WITH you. It's literally a part of you and when you shed it, an unwitting person or persons catch it. You ditch your car the minute you stop driving. The cause of death comparison is another false equivalence. We know the number of active confirmed cases is low. We don't know the number of undetected cases. Hence the caution and the stages of relaxing restrictions. 
    edited May 2020
    Kramer we know how quickly this disease engulfed countries like Brazil, Spain, Israel etc, to think it’s somehow lurking here without people showing symptoms, is the equivalent of checking under the bed for monsters before going to bed each night. 

Last comment on this from me but I bet all those who are advocating tighter controls and giving government this control over us have secure government jobs or are retired with no risk of a recession ruining their life 

Kramer we know how quickly this disease engulfed countries like Brazil, Spain, Israel etc, to think it’s somehow lurking here without people showing symptoms, is the equivalent of checking under the bed for monsters before going to bed each night. 

Last comment on this from me but I bet all those who are advocating tighter controls and giving government this control over us have secure government jobs or are retired with no risk of a recession ruining their life 
    There is a clear road map to ease restrictions and the very reason caution is being exercised is because sooner or later our borders will be opened for the very reason you want them to be. The reason there's no community transmission is largely becos everybody is on lockdown. And to counter your point about those accepting the restrictions from a position of security, are those that would sooner remove them, are they working in hospitals treating COVID-19 patients or are they willing to do so? 

GLAMOUR, curmudgeon likes this post.

In W.A we are in the best position in the world to keep this under control like we have been doing since the start.
    But we need to come out the other side RIGHT NOW because mental health is more of a threat.

To quote a line from one of Australia’s best bands Midnight Oil.

“ Better to die on your feet than live on your knee’s”

thefalcon likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i like your post, but mental health being more of a threat, i do not think so. maybe to folk who have "habits", yes but to normal "joe blows" i think not.

therealkramer likes this post.

Someone dies from Covid (9 in W.A) their name gets front page news.
    Someone dies from heartbreak or hopelessness by their own means........