G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 29 Non Members

Comments

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    he is still keen as mustard...
    trevor is now 74yo..enjoying his latest missus.
    saw stewie shents the other week...lets leave it at that.
  • FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts

detonator said:

Or DMAC can just focus on 2nd 3rd and 4th when they cross the line instead of after they have gone over the crossing, 200m past the finishing line. :-B

That aside I think we would all agree he is a good caller but he has to focus on the correct finishing order but forum contributors have mentioned that more times than Winx and Black Caviar won races.

Pity Shenton blew it... so to speak. I don't know why Jenkins retired from calling. Both were very good callers.

I don't mind Richard Bell and yes there is certainly a good argument for Craig Evans but Darren will not be 'renouncing the announcing' in the near future.

Anyone know how Shenton is travelling these days?
    refer to my comment above, flanders.
    lets just say "doing the best he can", still has a memory like a steel trap. named the place getters at the first race ever at cannington!!
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    Hopefully Jenkins still has most of the Ethereal money that he won.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    detonator said:

Or DMAC can just focus on 2nd 3rd and 4th when they cross the line instead of after they have gone over the crossing, 200m past the finishing line. :-B

Yes becos people get into race to finish in the minor placings in a BM70+ race at Belmont Park on a Wednesday. Do they sell the prints of the first 4 over the line or just the winner? Listen to the fans-or the 50c trifecta players-and you'll soon be sitting with them, etc etc :-@ [-X
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    edited June 2020

That aside I think we would all agree he is a good caller but he has to focus on the correct finishing order but forum contributors have mentioned that more times than Winx and Black Caviar won races.

Pity Shenton blew it... so to speak. I don't know why Jenkins retired from calling. Both were very good callers.

I don't mind Richard Bell and yes there is certainly a good argument for Craig Evans but Darren will not be 'renouncing the announcing' in the near future.

He wanted to become a football/sports commentator and did so for about 20 years at the ABC (both TV & radio) and he was a very good commentator as well, even despite his West Perth bias at times. 

JimmyPop likes this post.

Thanks for your reply VK I knew that and agree he was a very good sports.commentator. I meant why not retain the racecalling ahead of football. I would think there is a lot more pressure racecalling.

That Ethereal double he cracked was a beauty. I think he knew the trainer Sheila Laxon prior to that. A fantastic result for both of them

VillageKid likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited June 2020
    Did anyone just hear Flindell's call of Rosehill r3? "Gladys did tell us to watch out for the Victorians"    %-(
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts

Thanks for your reply VK I knew that and agree he was a very good sports.commentator. I meant why not retain the racecalling ahead of football. I would think there is a lot more pressure racecalling.

That Ethereal double he cracked was a beauty. I think he knew the trainer Sheila Laxon prior to that. A fantastic result for both of them
    Slip without sounding disrespectful to local racing the chance in the mid 1980s when he made the switch to sports commentary to then broadcast the likes of Football- AFL & WAFL, Cricket- Tests/ODI's & State, Olympic/Commonwealth Games, read the ABC TV sports news etc those opportunities do not come around every week for a broadcaster especially while based here in WA.
    He was very good at his craft whether it was calling footy, cricket, racing.
    he now does the emceeing/guest speaking gig...and knows how to charge... ;)
    Not disrespectful at all VK. Your assessment is spot on.

Falcon his agency knows how to charge and corporate and sporting gigs are money for jam...If you can get them.

• AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    D Mac did nail race 4 at Belmont correctly calling Bright Diamond the winner by a nose.

Good that he had a go and good for him that he got it right.

he nailed Flow also but made a canines brekky of the 1st...
    thefalcon said:

he nailed Flow also but made a canines brekky of the 1st...

What has changed Falc? You used to always have Darrens back, now not so much

oldhendo likes this post.

only my first criticism, flanders. we are still mates... =;
    btw, where is mr. cameron?
    thefalcon said:

only my first criticism, flanders. we are still mates... =;

btw, where is mr. cameron?

Dunno, is he missing? Now that he's not in the public eye or ear he's nowhere to be seen.
    In my opinion its a shame

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Was on racing radio yday morning and today
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Wes is a good man without doubt.
    sure is, thunder. you'd walk many a mile before you met another Wes. \m/
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Kudos to Darren this morning on radio talking about Harvey Crossman.
    He spoke glowingly about Harvey and what he contributed to the industry.
    Didn't know of Harvey before this morning but I feel that now do.
    Darren gets a few whacks on here (from contributors such as myself) but on other occasions such as today he excels. Well done. =D>

Thunderstruck, thefalcon, jum, Manchild, hash likes this post.

• JimmyPopJimmyPop    316 posts
    edited August 2020

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Some 13yo kid just made his calling debut in race 8 at Dubbo greyhounds and he got the placings correct! Shame he got 4th/5th wrong but he should have plenty of upside  :D

Thunderstruck, TheDiva likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Had a ballsup today too our fella...
    :-$
  • ManchildManchild    679 posts
    Race 3, 
    you guys just love rubbing it in, don't you? [-X

therealkramer likes this post.

• Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    After the recent passing of Delicacy her Perth Cup win was out and about on social media and the like.  That call from D-MAc was spine tingling And absolutely made that race even more special.  You might be right we could find plenty of other options to get the minors slightly more accurate on a Wednesday but none can make the big moments come to life like that!

whereamigoingwrong, therealkramer likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Rodent said:

Some 13yo kid just made his calling debut in race 8 at Dubbo greyhounds and he got the placings correct! Shame he got 4th/5th wrong but he should have plenty of upside  :D

There was only 5 dogs in the field... moral of the story race callers should only worry about the placings for the eachway punters
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    pack your 44 vile posts and f*ck off...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.