G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 32 Non Members

WAFL 2020

Sport

Comments

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Suspect "venue hire" is just one of numerous fees / costs.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    Ah yes didn’t consider things like the associated costs of road closures, police presence etc.
    and not seeing a cent off he bar

goose likes this post.

• goosegoose    1,628 posts
    Was a great day doubt that Fremantle Oval could fit too many more in was the right number all things considered would be great if they reconfigured the set up for future will wait and see.
    Not sure if they will do it again would be making it purely a financial decision for the WAFL clubs. 
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

Spot on TheDiva.

Does anyone know when the next event Optus Stadium will host will actually be?
    No International cricket for Perth this Summer, the Eastcoast holding all of the domestic cricket in hubs over there, no big concerts for the near future?
    Could it be our new $1.5 billion world class Stadium is sitting idle gathering dust and cobwebs until next footy season in late March/early April.
    At the price tag it should be utilised at every big opportunity and the WAFL GF was one just gone begging!

Interesting just found this in an old article on the west.

The most complicated part of the agreement is around the venue hire fees charged to Fremantle and West Coast, but one scenario would have the two clubs paying $5.9 million over a season based on gross assessable revenue of $31.5 million.

Pre-season matches for AFL, women’s AFL and WAFL competitions will be exempt from hire fees.

The WAFL will not be charged to hire the stadium for its grand final.

I guess this is no longer the case.

Very interesting Gil, and good pick up.
    I am sure there is more to this than the secret boys club WAFC will ever let on?
    With the lack of live sport for West Aussies to attend over the next 6 months at the least I am sure they would have got a minimum 25,000 to Optus which easily covers the costs associated but instead settled for 3rd best at Fremantle with only 10,000!
    Not so sure about that - I'm aware of plenty of tickets that were being offered about / were available on game day.
    Gee Claremont have shown an unfamiliar ruthless side by not renewing coach Darren Harris contract despite taking them to their first GF since 2012 and having a formidable 67% winning record in his 4 years at the helm.

Gee Claremont have shown an unfamiliar ruthless side by not renewing coach Darren Harris contract despite taking them to their first GF since 2012 and having a formidable 67% winning record in his 4 years at the helm.

With that sort of coaching record in the WAFL would be surprised if he didnt get snapped up elsewhere but with whom I wonder?
    Be interesting to see who gets the Claremont job as no shortage of talent to work with through all 3 grades.

cisco likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    I am sure Grant Dorrington will consider himself a perfect fit for Claremont.....he could apply his vast set of self centred narcissistic skills  that have been on display through his marvelous tenure as a WAFC commisioner.

VillageKid likes this post.

edited October 2020
    JayJay said:

I am sure Grant Dorrington will consider himself a perfect fit for Claremont.....he could apply his vast set of self centred narcissistic skills  that have been on display through his marvelous tenure as a WAFC commisioner.

Can you believe he is still on the WAFC shortlist JJ?
    Sheesh he should have been one of the first one's crossed off after what came out in the parliamentary enquiry!....let alone some of his earlier work at the WAFC- remember Dorro's baby Westar Rules or the introduction of Peel a couple of beauties right there!
    Mind you as a coach he "retired" after the 85 Teal Cup win as coach and has lived off if it for the last 35 years.

In a word, No. And as a current commissioner, he gets to vote for himself under their very democratic election process. Wasn't he going to be under threat of a charge of parliamentary contempt for urging Swans NOT to make a submission to the inquiry. His sense of self importance has no limits.

Surely the WAFL Clubs say emphatically, "come up with another list, with real footy people on it, we reject what you have come up with".   If the old guard or representatives of the old guard are returned as Commissioners, the parliamentary inquiry will have been a complete waste of time.

JayJay said:

In a word, No. And as a current commissioner, he gets to vote for himself under their very democratic election process. Wasn't he going to be under threat of a charge of parliamentary contempt for urging Swans NOT to make a submission to the inquiry. His sense of self importance has no limits.

Surely the WAFL Clubs say emphatically, "come up with another list, with real footy people on it, we reject what you have come up with".   If the old guard or representatives of the old guard are returned as Commissioners, the parliamentary inquiry will have been a complete waste of time.
    There were some very good football & business names bandied about early in the piece and yet the shortlist of 11 none of them appear and we have more of the same WCE/Freo sycophants looking for a free lunch at afl games.
    God help WA footy with those numpties running the show!
    Claremont - all is revealed................ Ash Prescott had become available.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I've recently been involved - for a very short time - in a project that saw me working closely with the Peel Thunder. I'm surprised that they actually have the ability to open the gates on game day, let alone run a semi-professional sporting club.

After what i saw and heard, i think their league results this season were a true reflection of where their club is.
    RIO said:

I've recently been involved - for a very short time - in a project that saw me working closely with the Peel Thunder. I'm surprised that they actually have the ability to open the gates on game day, let alone run a semi-professional sporting club.

After what i saw and heard, i think their league results this season were a true reflection of where their club is.
    I doubt they would survive if it were not for Fremantle bankrolling them as their Reserves team Rio.
    They still owe the WAFC a 6 figure debt from a loan nearly 10 years ago.
    They are also in the poo for yet another salary cap breach (their 3rd mind you) that has taken the WAFC nearly 12 months to investigate and come up with an appropriate penalty.
    They should never have been admitted into the WAFL straight after Freo into the AFL, instead a club like EF who have an ordinary facility and are only located 2km from SF should have been enticed to move down there!
    And more recently EF should have taken over Freo's facilities at Freo Oval when they vacated, but instead have spent a fortune upgrading their separate facility, leaving both under utilised.
    Tivers said:

And more recently EF should have taken over Freo's facilities at Freo Oval when they vacated, but instead have spent a fortune upgrading their separate facility, leaving both under utilised.

They are now pushing for government funding for a redevelopment at EF Oval would you believe Tivers?
    It makes no sense whatsoever as EF Oval is only located 2km from another WAFL ground (Fremantle Oval), also it is not on the train line like every other WAFL ground so patrons are forced to drive there, as a venue and location it has very little going for it and hopefully taxpayers money is not wasted on it!
    Exactly
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    After my experience none of that surprises me Village Kid. After what I've seen i doubt they could find a root in a Old Growth Forrest.

I seriously didn't think those management practices survived the 80's!!!! I doubt they will get better any time soon. So the financial drain they have on the WAFC will continue

RIO said:

After my experience none of that surprises me Village Kid. After what I've seen i doubt they could find a root in a Old Growth Forrest.

I seriously didn't think those management practices survived the 80's!!!! I doubt they will get better any time soon. So the financial drain they have on the WAFC will continue

They have just announced Will Schofield as their new signing for 2021.
    Interesting considering they havent had their penalty/sanction handed down for their current salary cap offence, their 3rd this century which is supposed to invoke a points reduction for the next season and or other similar penalties!
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    The way they play they wouldn't be too concerned about being penalised points!!!

One particular incident I highlighted what I thought was an error in a financial record. They responded with it was included on a certain line and balanced out on a certain line... the 2 figures didn't match!?!?!? I asked the obvious question, and got the response that that's just a computer thing!?!? I didn't ask again, it was going to achieve nothing!!!

However that is still a long way from why they were not a ver impressive mob... Thought Will would be smarter than that!!!
    RIO said:

The way they play they wouldn't be too concerned about being penalised points!!!

One particular incident I highlighted what I thought was an error in a financial record. They responded with it was included on a certain line and balanced out on a certain line... the 2 figures didn't match!?!?!? I asked the obvious question, and got the response that that's just a computer thing!?!? I didn't ask again, it was going to achieve nothing!!!

However that is still a long way from why they were not a ver impressive mob... Thought Will would be smarter than that!!!

Haha yeah that doesnt surprise me one bit, whether it is balancing the books or staying within the salary cap they have trouble....and that is even without getting to the actual football on field side of things!

RIO likes this post.

Report on WAFC Parliamentary Inquiry released today.....144 pages....quite damning of the culture, the process, the performance, the financing of grass roots footy and of certain individuals. Surely Dorringtons position is now untenable.....lucky to escape a charge of Parliamentary Contempt, same as Simon Crouch-Moore for his alleged comment that the inquiry was a "dog and pony show". In spite of Dorringtons actions, he still made the cut as one on the WAFC's list of potential  commissioners to go through their much ridiculed "election" process. Will much change? I doubt it....footy, especially in the country will continue to slowly die. Bit like watching what is happening to Harness Racing in the bush.

VillageKid, RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited November 2020
    And the enquiry into Peel Thunder is complete. Ditchburn removed and the club fined $50k. Why they have been allowed to continue in any capacity after what I experienced first hand is a total mystery. Probably due to a multi level management process of TOTAL INCOMPETENCE!!! throughout the association from what I’ve read above!!

So Gareth Parker (whoever he is) and Doctor Fong pull out of the so called WAFC Elections for Commissioners. Dorrington, however, remains on the list of nominees.....his price is shortening simply by elimination. Surely he can read the Parliamentary Report and do the right thing and ride off into the sunset.

JayJay said:

So Gareth Parker (whoever he is) and Doctor Fong pull out of the so called WAFC Elections for Commissioners. Dorrington, however, remains on the list of nominees.....his price is shortening simply by elimination. Surely he can read the Parliamentary Report and do the right thing and ride off into the sunset.

Parker is a journalist for The West & 6PR and a former WAFL umpire JJ.
    As for Dorrington I dont think he knows how to read a room and or is just pig headed or both!