G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 36 Non Members

WA Pacing Cup - your thoughts please

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Very rarely bet at GP - basically because of the unfair track - but i have had 2 small e/w bets on Jack Farthing and Lavra Joe

Just watched a replay of race 2 - and that is a perfect ezample of the unfair track 

Liam Neil who led and won at a 3s on quote - if that race had been run on a proper fair track like Melton or Albion Park - then it wouldnt have finished in the 1st 5 

Both Aldos horse and also the Shadow Roll - both wide in the last lap - super runs  would have both beaten home LN - but GP is just diabolically unfair 
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Markovina said:

Very rarely bet at GP - basically because of the unfair track - but i have had 2 small e/w bets on Jack Farthing and Lavra Joe

Just watched a replay of race 2 - and that is a perfect ezample of the unfair track 

Liam Neil who led and won at a 3s on quote - if that race had been run on a proper fair track like Melton or Albion Park - then it wouldnt have finished in the 1st 5 

Both Aldos horse and also the Shadow Roll - both wide in the last lap - super runs  would have both beaten home LN - but GP is just diabolically unfair 

On your theory you should love punting here and you should be making a stack!

Markovina said:

Well look at your horse tonight - another example - ran a terrific race - but coming from behind at GP - and out 3-4 wide is mission impossible 

The point i was making - other tracks which are infinitely fairer - horses can come wide and from behind and win - makes for much more exciting harness racing 
    Markovina said:

Markovina said:

Well look at your horse tonight - another example - ran a terrific race - but coming from behind at GP - and out 3-4 wide is mission impossible 

The point i was making - other tracks which are infinitely fairer - horses can come wide and from behind and win - makes for much more exciting harness racing 

Yes but we went into the race knowing that was most likely going to be the case next time hopefully we get the draw, but point being from a punting perspective love predictable racing it’s the easiest way to make money
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Agree Marko it’s shite.
    But it’s only because there is no sprint lane.
    Any driver with half a brain locks them up and sprints last 200 mtrs.
    It’s got to the stage where drivers are happy to run second or third held up rather than pull out and have a go.
    Race 2 3rd horse seriously had 100 metres to pull off and go round, nup stick to fence and go home wondering.
    No to mention Bracken Sky locked up no fault of driver.
    Gran Chico pulls out at the start to the back of the field so he doesn’t get held up running second on the fence.
    JoBlo punters pulling there hair out that don’t understand.
    Geez Vampiro 34s fixed got to be a big hope if he crosses.
    Cmon Rocket put ya nuts on the line.
  • Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    198 posts
    Good on Vultan tin
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Vultin Tin! Looked a treat. Well done to all involved.
    But like seriously I don’t know who issues the driving instructions or does their form but the bond stable sure can get it badly wrong

freodockers likes this post.

Cmon Rocket put ya nuts on the line.

What are ya talking about? Must be a few red cans in
  • Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    Had my last $5 in my betting account on the tin just because he’s one of my favourites

Gilgamesh, freodockers likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    If ever there has been a more deserved winner of the WA Pacing Cup than Vultan Tin I haven't seen it.
    Week in week out year in year in and year out Phil Costello's champ has fronted up against all comers.
    Tonight the cards fell in his favour.....but it was no fluke.
    Congratulations to all.
  • Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    Still trying to work out why Dylan handed up then they hold out galactic star, surely they were not the instructions

Cant_Refuse likes this post.

Can’t refuse can’t agree any more what a cluster Fock by the blue ringed octopuses.
    One particular driver who I will not name got it horribly horribly wrong, just can’t work out his drive out. Wondering if he backed CB half way through.
    Don’t know Tim Costello but at the end awesome result for connections.
    Great to see.

Settle Rocket just wanted ya tip for the Cup.
    PS don’t drink red cans.
    All good.
    PS great drive by SS had a few heated discussions with him over the years but always respected him as a driver.
    One of the best who has made something out of nothing well done.

From their draws the Bond contingent will have a big say in who settles where and when the moves come. Weight of numbers and the potential to force Jnr to work when he would rather not over the 2900 may be a factor. I am going to enjoy the contest and have a little e/w on Vultan Tin with Shannnon driving just out of interest. I think he will do nothing in the run and may be a forgotten horse. The champ is too short for me... but really....if you discard the Bull you probably should be in Graylands, If he doesn't win though...anything with the right run will.

Well done - i just re read the thread - you were the only one who tipped it - gave good reasons to 

Hopefully you did back it 

freodockers, Gilgamesh likes this post.

Settle Rocket just wanted ya tip for the Cup.
    PS don’t drink red cans.
    All good.

Wouldn’t of tipped the winner but happy to see it win! Looks like my memory not so good then haha

freodockers likes this post.

Can’t refuse can’t agree any more what a cluster Fock by the blue ringed octopuses.
    One particular driver who I will not name got it horribly horribly wrong, just can’t work out his drive out. Wondering if he backed CB half way through.
    Don’t know Tim Costello but at the end awesome result for connections.
    Great to see.

Surely between them they would at least have half an idea of what each other’s role is. But hey we can’t be too rough, they did get it right in the pacing cup last year just took a few practice runs
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Got dudded by circumstance Marko....was cooking for the gang in the kitchen when the race rolled on.....got in to watch it and watch Vultan and The Bull go at it.
    Knew in my water a lap out what was going to unfold though 
    :D
    Shannon drives his best big races when not expected to win.
    Air fried sausages, buns, crisp lettuce and fried onions with a dash of balsamic vinegar if you are wondering....simple but tasty....if a little salty after the result though 
    :)) :((

Markovina, VillageKid, JayJay likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    edited December 2020
    What a great win to the Tin.
    Congrats to the Costello's and SJS on a great drive.

A good crowd and atmosphere on course last night, hopefully moving forward there is a concerted effort from the club to push more nights like last at our great inner city track.

cisco, freodockers, curmudgeon likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Agree VK, credit where credit is due to GP, it was busy....not a huge crowd as in days past but a very, very healthy number on course and fantastic atmosphere. I felt "right at home" for the first time in ages.

I ran into Phil Costello on the way home last night, we were both getting fuel on Forrest Highway. It is not often you have a chat with a Pacing Cup winner at about 11pm at the BP servo every day of the week. Smile on his face like a split water melon, same old Phil, humble as ever since I first met him back in 1975 at the Northam trials. Absolutely thrilled for him and his brave war horse, 5th run back, trained to perfection, sat out the RWWA Cup last week, just fantastic.

And I don't say this very often.....but that was a drive straight from the Coulson file....a sensational patient drive, masterful from SJS. And worth the trip up to see the look of amazement on his youngest son Lucas's face, what a moment for the young fellow. Was a terrific night at Brennan Park.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

Does anyone at the club ever wonder the facilities to hear that at least 50% of the venue has no audio??

The audio at GP has been an issue for a while Gil, as has the bell which sounds like it might need a little TLC as well.
    But nonetheless an enjoyable night last night at the iconic inner city location that is our GP.
    One interesting point of discussion - and it would be great to get Gary Halls  Snr opininion/view on this - perhaps down the track a bit 

Like Im TheMighty Quinn - is obviously the best horse he has trained -  champion - 1 of the best ever - if not the best 

But 2 other horses he has had ( who have got very similar racing patterns ) Chicago Bull and The Falcon Strike - who he would give the nod to as the better/superior pacer

CB was very game last night - Brown made it hard for him - 58.3 2nd last half of the last mile in a 14.5 furlong race 

However my opinion - i think the The Falcon Strike was a slightly superior horse

Taking nothing away from CB effort last night - but i reckon when VT ranged alongside it at the top of the straight - i reckon  TFS would have kicked and kicked slightly harder - just my view
    Markovina said:

One interesting point of discussion - and it would be great to get Gary Halls  Snr opininion/view on this - perhaps down the track a bit 

Like Im TheMighty Quinn - is obviously the best horse he has trained -  champion - 1 of the best ever - if not the best 

But 2 other horses he has had ( who have got very similar racing patterns ) Chicago Bull and The Falcon Strike - who he would give the nod to as the better/superior pacer

CB was very game last night - Brown made it hard for him - 58.3 2nd last half of the last mile in a 14.5 furlong race 

However my opinion - i think the The Falcon Strike was a slightly superior horse

Taking nothing away from CB effort last night - but i reckon when VT ranged alongside it at the top of the straight - i reckon  TFS would have kicked and kicked slightly harder - just my view

I’ll ask him for ya at the stables on Monday

Markovina likes this post.

That’s very nice of you Rocket.
    PS any good horses on the horizon.

Rocket_Reign likes this post.

That’s very nice of you Rocket.
    PS any good horses on the horizon.

Me or him? I’ve got one that’s about to start work that’s pretty smart he’s got about 20 of them haha
    You
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Jumping on the back of what JayJay has said spoke with a couple of people at work today who went along, non racing people and they had a ball and will look to head along again which is what you want to get out of the big nights, return patronage.

It was the most enjoyable night I’ve had too, the Italian crowd made for a great atmosphere and they nailed my pizza!