G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 14 Non Members

Tales and Thoughts of Yesteryear.

West Australian Racing

Comments

• paraleticparaletic    3,738 posts
    Part of the reason i dont back any so called “experts” tips. In fact i put a line thru them.

bookielover likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,057 posts
    Para- Dead right the real good judges--don't  put everything on the table---they have other means.Plus couple betting commentators can milk a extra 40-50c on the one they have punted.& also not necessary the one they have tipped----Followers of Queensland racing would know who was master at it. --

Saying they have come for 7 like there's no tomorrow.& plus the 6 is also a strong.go.& crikey they haven't forgetten the 5.&--------- he would be on the 2. Scenario's like that  were quite regular occurrence's

Then a weasel from the corporate's-- or someone representing them starts coat tugging ---trying to square the ledger, buy trying to ramp one up,that there's been no money for. Gee alot dribble can happen in last two minutes to start time.. 

Getting back to Jack.D.(Joe Win)---very humorous man from all reports.

Fronted--  Bart said listen Bart i am alot better trainer then you,----Have had only  100 horses and   Won  Group 1 with everyone of them.------

Being a lockdown  day down for some------stretch the grey-matter.

Anyone got train of thought regarding how he got  to achieve  them  numbers.
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,345 posts
    STG,

That Glenn Munsie is a beauty at it. He's a glorified, albeit well paid, tout for the TOTE.
    And who are the mugs having the so called big bets they put up on screen  prior to the jump.

$4,000 on scrotum at $2.80 when you can have that plus more on Betfair at $3.50.

• paraleticparaletic    3,738 posts
    Brent Zerafa, lost his job on TVN for not tipping one that he actually got a tip on. They went thru his sms’s

Getting back to Jack.D.(Joe Win)---very humorous man from all reports.

Fronted--  Bart said listen Bart i am alot better trainer then you,----Have had only  100 horses and   Won  Group 1 with everyone of them.------

Told to me----- You ---- Can  just imagine Bart looking through his Shadow Roll,saying what are you using. Jack said electricity, that makes them go.
     Jack owned 100 coin operated power driven Horse Rides  ----,that back in the day they seemed to be outside a lot  shops----Hence everyone was Group 1 performer. for Jack.

spinking, Tucool likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    6,283 posts

$4,000 on scrotum at $2.80 when you can have that plus more on Betfair at $3.50.

That's if you had the balls to back Scrotum  :D

bookielover, savethegame, Manchild, jum likes this post.

Coincidentally a horse running Warwick tonight (wed)  R1 BALZAC
  • Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    1,949 posts
    edited February 5
    Cassidy swore on his kids life it tried, without doubt the hottest thing I've ever seen, and still got in the Hall Of Fame after the Jockey tapes scandal

carey likes this post.

edited February 5
    spinking said:

This one will go down in the tales section , but beleive me is as true as me sitting here typing it.Will not mention the name of the culprit but here it is . Years ago on Mathieson road in Ascot there lived just up from the corner of Moreing street and Mathieson road a big German fella bye the name of Zimmerman. Every morning for a few weeks running someone had pinched his home delivered West Australian. Well Zimmerman had had enough so this morning he lies in wait. And the culprit who was riding a lot of work for Col Webster , and to this day still says it was the first time he pinched Zimmermans paper. Pulls up in the darkness and grabs the paper from Zimmermans front lawn. Bang Zimmerman pounces from behind a bulga tree and grabs him. The jockey pleads his case that its the first time he has pinched the paper. Zimmerman is having nothing of it , and to make a statement handcuffs said jockey to the lightpole out the front. You can imagine the look on Col Webster his staffs face as they drive along Mathieson road with their second trip back to the track to see their jock handcuffed to the post. Let alone the look on the jocks face as everyone going to the track spotts him there handcuffed to the post . True story

Max Roney at his best
  • thefalconthefalcon    17,377 posts
    long time no see P_B, hope all is going well.

Manchild likes this post.

Just on --------HALL FAME  JOCKEYS.

Thought  W.A. racing would have added rider  Neville Percival---into there  hall of fame by now.

Born in Jarradale first ride was winner just a brief list of his achievements in the saddle.

MELBOURNE CUP. White Nose. 1931. Caulfield Cup Palfresco. Two Adelaide Cups. Brisbane Cup. Doomben Cup.--- Warwick Farm Cup Menagle Cup (nsw)--- Kalgoorlie Cup. Hannahs HCP. Two boulder cups.

South Africa--Durban Gold Cup  Stewards Gold Cup. two of the main  feature races.

India --  Calcutta  Mayfowl Cup---Ronald shay Cup. two  of the main features

Read where in  one W.A. season Percival  rode 143 winners ---- 65 in metro. area.

Was on course --- When Rod  Kemp went to KALGOORLIE & won  on Todbury to break Mark Grigsby state record of around 128 wins.was the last meeting of the season.

One article says over  a kalgoorlie 6 day race round.rode  18 winners.

Be interesting to see what feature wins he had in the city.

Carried two nicknames the miracle midget--- & The pocket Hercules went to scale  at 6st. 12 lb. 43.5 kgs.

Be flukers hope for Hall of  Fame nom.

ADD - A -Newmarket Hcp.--- Oakleigh Plate-- Toorak Hcp.-- he never stopped going from state to state. By Air ---- but mostly by Car..

thefalcon, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    17,377 posts
    i've heard of him but jeez what an imposing record....
    edited February 18
    Spin king love the history of Goldfields round you just mentioned Craig Wake on Triggers post, thought one of the greatest achievements in W.A. racing was Craig's first winner at his 10th ride in a race  weighing  39kgs.was in the 1980 Kalgoorlie Cup, on Bridge of Friendship had to withstand a protest.

W.A. has had two terrible protest upheld decision's one Ma Doubt  jockey  ( M.Sherwood) won the race eased down by official margin of 2-1/2 lengths for interference at the start -----.Of cause the other one involved Bridge of Friendship who was ridden by  a 16 yearold  Danny Hobby.won  the Bunbury Cup after the race was taken off Great Cat. the margin looks 3-4lengths on the vision.

The rules don't allow inexperienced apprentices to ride in feature races.nowadays

But there was  1979 Coolgardie Cup that Tamil Prince  reached the line first 31/2  lengths clear, only to lose on protest----Have no opinion  on that one.. The 1600m start at Kalg.if you draw wide its a hard ask.---- Jockey Gary Gath was on the marker line after 200m in field of 14 from a wide gate. the protest was based on the start.

REX -might know was Gary Gath related to famous Harness Driver Brain Gath? whos still driving winners at 76----What was the camps feeling on losing that one was it justified ?

Plus jockey Parkinson  were did he originate from------  thinking one G.L W. brought over?

Gary .Gath read were he lost his life in a car accident at 32. but was  already retired from riding.

spinking, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    2,980 posts
    Gary (foo) Gath i am positive rode for George Way STS . At the time if my memory serves me correct G.Gath Terry Finger  Peter Finger and Tommy Graham all lived at the same premises in Thompson street adjacent to the Ascot Inn. What a great pub it was in its day. On the subject of protests was it La Trice and Kilrickle protest upheld in a Railway bit before my time. Was a very good rider and great bloke to boot C.Wake taken way way to early

Manchild, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    2,980 posts
    Sorry that should have been STG not STS. Could have been worse STG i could have wrote STD

savethegame likes this post.

• RexRex    350 posts
    spinking said:

Gary (foo) Gath i am positive rode for George Way STS . At the time if my memory serves me correct G.Gath Terry Finger  Peter Finger and Tommy Graham all lived at the same premises in Thompson street adjacent to the Ascot Inn. What a great pub it was in its day. On the subject of protests was it La Trice and Kilrickle protest upheld in a Railway bit before my time. Was a very good rider and great bloke to boot C.Wake taken way way to early

Tommy Graham, what a comic. Remember him out with Colin Duffy for dinner one night and both ordered the same meal. It took a good while to come but Colins came first. Tommy grabbed the meal, spat on it and told Colin he could have his when it arrived.

savethegame, oldhendo likes this post.

May have posted on here before but I heard Tommy Graham had a nice collect on favourite numbers several years ago.
    spinking said:

Sorry that should have been STG not STS. Could have been worse STG i could have wrote STD

Ha-Ha put that down to you being busier then a one-arm paper boy with crabs. :))

spinking likes this post.

• (March 2 01:34AM )
    savethegamesavethegame    2,057 posts
    Palfresco ----Vital  story -----After reading what alleged took place,and researching old newspaper articles.Have grave doubt that he won the Kalg.Cup---Hannans Hcp as Vital in sept 36 ,what has been alleged in some quarters,

Palfresco won 1935 Caulfield Cup as a three yearold. Then in july 36 his owner who had lessed him out for a period of two years which had commenced nov 34. until end of nov 36. put a court injunction concerned about his leg with three affidavits from vets regarding his leg issues.

It was settled out of court with the owner making a payment to the lessee with a clause she wasn't allowed to race the horse before end of Nov.36,

Would there be anywhere you could find Palfresco  total race record?.  He won his first start Jan 1st   35, He later stood at stud  in queensland.