G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 30 Non Members

The West's Brilliant Racing Coverage

West Australian Racing

Comments

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    bet you have them pasted on your bedroom ceiling as wanking material..... :x
    the devil made me write it,,the horned basta&d....
    i'm off to look at my flaking ceiling....any painters on the site? genuine question...
  • ManchildManchild    682 posts
    Nobody has mentions Heartbalm yet ???

savethegame, detonator likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    Manchild said:

Ha-ha ---. How did we forget the '' jerk the gerkin''' column.

thefalcon likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    or Dyer 'ere
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    Manchild said:

I knew Ron Taylor the racing writer there pretty well. Absolute gentleman. He told me that they had up to three blokes writing the questions and answers for Heartbalm. 

They used to have a competition between them, to see who could write the filthiest "letter" and get it past the Editor.

We had some great racing writers back in those days. Rollo Roylance, a very nice bloke, but a hopeless punter, in that he rarely backed a winner. Jack Elliot was ok as a bloke. Didn't say much.. 

I loved Jim Coglhan, don't know if the spelling is correct, but he used to appear on the World of Sport racing Panel and always start their time off by telling a joke. Was a bookie who went bust, but at least understood the caper. 

Ray Huxley was a big punter, at least from what I saw. He'd have a thousand on if he had money. Used to do the prices for racing radio, pre-being owned by the TAB. Shane Templeton, was a very nice bloke, but an ordinary punter, even though he had the ability to find decent price winners. Both have effectively disappeared from the media scene. 

Just on Journalists  and commentators who were punters, actually, they all were, Bill Collins was a great figures man who had a brilliant mind and could add up the percentage  on the bookies board as fast as my old man who was the fastest I ever heard do it. This gave him a bit of an advantage over other punters who couldn't do it, and Bill would back a heap of horses in a race if the the percentage was in his favour. 

He once backed every horse in a hurdle race at Moe because bookies who were extending the odds to try and entice punters, at what was an ordinary meeting, but 8 Melbourne rails bookies were operating, so competition was hot, got down to 92%. 

Another character who wrote for the papers and appeared on the racing panel at World of Sport,  was Bill,the fruit fly, Condon, 

I reckon the best judge of all, who started off by doing a complete form summary in the  Metropolitan race book and later on Best bests, was Stephen Moran. He was uncanny, especially when he tipped in the race book, and could sum up a race like no other. 

He was pretty effective at Best Bets, but that all changed, when the publication went national, and he had to comment on the horses chances before final acceptors, to meet printing deadlines, something that is still an issue today. 

So Moran went from being dogmatic in his comments about a horses chances, to once giving a steeple chaser who was racing first up, a chance in 1200 metre race. I asked him about it at the track one day, and he sort of shrugged it off. 

Not long after that, he left Best bets. I know that he had heart problems, and maybe that got the better of him, and the job satisfaction wasn't there. But he was a great judge, who really introduced what we all use today,taking note of the form out of various races, in order to help us  pick a winner. 

This was not really something that the regular punter used as a tool to pick winners, but every form analyst today, and posters on this site, refer to a horses last start in a good form race,and use it as a guide to the horses chances in an upcoming race.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,744 posts
    edited January 2021
    Bookielover quote; I reckon the best judge of all, who started off by doing a complete form summary in the  Metropolitan race book and later on Best bests, was Stephen Moran. He was uncanny, especially when he tipped in the race book, and could sum up a race like no other. 

I totally agree Bookie. I was never one for taking note of tipsters but did respect his assessments.