G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 17 Non Members

GP- Vale Bob Sweet The San Simeon (Gp2) & Blake Ashworth Memorial Marathon Handicap (L)

Harness & Greyhounds
Race 1-   Alta Louisa,  Bettor Get It On,  Smooth Rye,  Captains Beachbabe
Race 2-   Caveman,  Vespa,  Tyler Brett,  Queen Shenandoah
Race 3-   Mini Mine Yet,  See Ya Write,  Major Stare,  Triroyale Brigade
Race 4-   Minstrel,  Ideal Liner,  Vultan Tin,  Bracken Sky
Race 5-   Alta Engen,  Awaitinginstructions,  Doctor Tom,  The Code Breaker
Race 6-   Magnificent Storm,  Alta Blues,  Middlepage,  The Tiger Army
Race 7-   Lord Rosco,  Pierre Whitby,  Medieval Man,  Free To Air
Race 8-   Bettor Be Oscar,  Henwood Bay,  Deeorse,  Diamond Dove
Race 9-   Talks Up A Storm,  Arma Einstein,  Powerplay,  Machnificent
Race 10- Wall Street Girl,  Make Your Mark,  Dontbesillychilli,  Never Forget Adda

+1 -1

cisco, curmudgeon, Gilgamesh likes this post.

Comments

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Think I am the only person on this list to have had the pleasure of having driven the champ San Simeon & definitely the only one to have been tipped out of the cart behind him.

Gilgamesh, VillageKid likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts

Think I am the only person on this list to have had the pleasure of having driven the champ San Simeon & definitely the only one to have been tipped out of the cart behind him.

Ok then - what do you consider its best ever win /performance

And i dont think it was the Hobart Inter - because it beat nothing on a saucer track 

So what do you consider its best ever performance - and if you have got vision of that  race - put it up so we can enjoy it 
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    R1: I don't see a scenario where No2 Smooth Rye runs a poor race, should sit just off them, each way all day. I thought Truleylucky could suck along behind them and run 3rd or 4th really boosting the first four but im not sure how it will go now they've said they would like to lead.  

R2: I've got No7 Therugo finding the top pretty comfortably so think he is a great bet.

R3: Going to have something EW on No6 Major Stare at the big odds, fitter for the first run in about 6 weeks last time out, I thought he could get to the breeze quite comfortably and really tough it out.

R6: Wouldn't be surprised if there is a healthy drift on Magnificent Storm, If he gets out somewhere around the $1.70-$1.80 mark well worth a bet to me.

R7: No10 Free To Air leaders back a very safe EW bet.

R8: I've been loving how Bettor Be Oscar has been going but I'd rather back him at a longer price in a harder race than this scenario. I reckon he might run along and be a bit vulnerable. Going to have a few dollars on old mate No8 Deeorse dive bombing from the back.

R9: No6 Power Play leads and wins, keep it simple. Some good odds horses a chance for the novelties in the 3,4 and 8.

Good luck all.

Cant_Refuse, VillageKid likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    There is a back story to the 1980 WA Derby that I have posted the vision of. It was one of a number of wins that underscored how good this horse was but also illustrates why he was never given the accolades he deserved because he always appeared to just be efficient.
    His manners are perfectly displayed here. After following through easily from gate #9 on the back of the early speed he lobbed a good position in the one out line but Les Marriott on Noble Jim appealed to Lou Austin to let him off the fence as he thought he was in danger of choking down & falling. San Simeon backed off on a piece of cotton and Les angled into the clear & out of the road ( Noble Jim had a history of over racing at that point in time.) Bear in mind Lou was protecting an unbeaten 14 win streak & didn't have to let the other horse out & it was the WA Derby. Les to his credit got up the track & back to last when he could have rolled the dice and stayed in it once he was allowed off the fence but he was a man of integrity & thankful not to be in a tangled mess on the ground.
    SS then latched back onto his position and strolled along happily while stablemate ( and Oaks winner) Egyptian Dancer served it up to the leader....Jim Schraders very good frontrunner On The Mat.
    Mid race Gammalite got moving & flushed SS who then had to attack the leader strongly and force him to hand up. Once he found the front he eased & conserved himself until the dual Interdominion winner Gammalite came to call and try to outstay SS. Fleetingly it looked as though Gammalite was going to beat him but SS found plenty up the straight and won comfortably.
    This was only his second start as a 3 y/o and he was still a bit underdone after becoming very sick during a spell post his 2 y/o season. His next start he again defeated Gammalite in the Australian Derby. Every horse bar Phrynie in that race went on to FFAll company & she would have too I think had she not broken down as a 4 y/o.
    I had the pleasure of driving work on three of the horses in that race SS, Egyptian Dancer & John Softleys temperamental filly Phrynie. 
    Don't let anyone tell you San Simeon wasn't a champion Marko ....at his top he was equal or better than any horses we can name....& not at his top as in the Derby.....he was still too bloody good.

Markovina, VillageKid, maybeso likes this post.

There is a back story to the 1980 WA Derby that I have posted the vision of. It was one of a number of wins that underscored how good this horse was but also illustrates why he was never given the accolades he deserved because he always appeared to just be efficient.
    His manners are perfectly displayed here. After following through easily from gate #9 on the back of the early speed he lobbed a good position in the one out line but Les Marriott on Noble Jim appealed to Lou Austin to let him off the fence as he thought he was in danger of choking down & falling. San Simeon backed off on a piece of cotton and Les angled into the clear & out of the road ( Noble Jim had a history of over racing at that point in time.) Bear in mind Lou was protecting an unbeaten 14 win streak & didn't have to let the other horse out & it was the WA Derby. Les to his credit got up the track & back to last when he could have rolled the dice and stayed in it once he was allowed off the fence but he was a man of integrity & thankful not to be in a tangled mess on the ground.
    SS then latched back onto his position and strolled along happily while stablemate ( and Oaks winner) Egyptian Dancer served it up to the leader....Jim Schraders very good frontrunner On The Mat.
    Mid race Gammalite got moving & flushed SS who then had to attack the leader strongly and force him to hand up. Once he found the front he eased & conserved himself until the dual Interdominion winner Gammalite came to call and try to outstay SS. Fleetingly it looked as though Gammalite was going to beat him but SS found plenty up the straight and won comfortably.
    This was only his second start as a 3 y/o and he was still a bit underdone after becoming very sick during a spell post his 2 y/o season. His next start he again defeated Gammalite in the Australian Derby. Every horse bar Phrynie in that race went on to FFAll company & she would have too I think had she not broken down as a 4 y/o.
    I had the pleasure of driving work on three of the horses in that race SS, Egyptian Dancer & John Softleys temperamental filly Phrynie. 
    Don't let anyone tell you San Simeon wasn't a champion Marko ....at his top he was equal or better than any horses we can name....& not at his top as in the Derby.....he was still too bloody good.

Fantastic write up - and fantastic vision - very enjoyable 

The leader made SS earn the lead - and then to hold off Gammalite ( who was a mighty horse - and who sat outside and crushed plenty of horses in its day ) ) - top notch effort 

VillageKid likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Tyler Brett
    El Guerrero
    Blue Blazer
    Was that Rocket doing starjumps at end of Vespas race ???
    El Guerrero faaark me.

VillageKid likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,630 posts
    Absolute peach from WBC on Gammalite in that Derby......but so true that San Simeon was something out of the box.
    You have to give credit - where credit is due - and Rocket got the win  last night

But watching the replays - the horse i want to talk about is The Tiger Army ( and i havent watched its other WA runs ) 

But i do follow the form over East pretty closely - and that horse allways had a bit of a boom on it - won the time honoured Leeton Plate 35k race as a 2 yr old - when Laura Crossland had it - then later on it changed camps - went to a Newcastle based trainer who is no mug - allways had a decent winning strike rate with their horses

But when it was at Newcastle and still as a youngish horse - did it have some gut busting runs - like 3 wide for 500-600 - into the death - and when they got that position they didnt give it any respite - they would just bore it  into the leader - ran some terrific very tough races and in slick time 

Be interesting what they paid for that horse to bring it over to WA - none of my business of course - but like i say there was allways a bit of a boom about  that horse - and it did run some teriffic races - so i would say around the 50k mark

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Markovina said:

You have to give credit - where credit is due - and Rocket got the win  last night

But watching the replays - the horse i want to talk about is The Tiger Army ( and i havent watched its other WA runs ) 

But i do follow the form over East pretty closely - and that horse allways had a bit of a boom on it - won the time honoured Leeton Plate 35k race as a 2 yr old - when Laura Crossland had it - then later on it changed camps - went to a Newcastle based trainer who is no mug - allways had a decent winning strike rate with their horses

But when it was at Newcastle and still as a youngish horse - did it have some gut busting runs - like 3 wide for 500-600 - into the death - and when they got that position they didnt give it any respite - they would just bore it  into the leader - ran some terrific very tough races and in slick time 

Be interesting what they paid for that horse to bring it over to WA - none of my business of course - but like i say there was allways a bit of a boom about  that horse - and it did run some teriffic races - so i would say around the 50k mark

He’s still under the same ownership he’s been a nightmare for me only just now starting to get somewhere near where he should be

Markovina likes this post.

Couple tonight at Narrogin.
    Race 3 Nuclear Poker absolutely no luck last start , Vokey on board could lead or breeze was 23s now into 13s
    Race 4 Captain Casual Gilga tip last week no luck, could lead tonight.

cisco, Gilgamesh likes this post.

Got me races wrong there but horses still the same.

cisco likes this post.

• PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    That was painful viewing - I was on both, sorry that I dragged you down!

freodockers likes this post.

Train Wreck.
    Yeah i was on the Captain at the 7 bucks to - thought it was a great price - it did everything i expected to do - lead and dictate the race - but just couldnt quite hang on 

That was good harness racing last night - Jessie Moores horse last into the back straight - just went woosh - thats what i call exciting harness racing  - not that sit - walk and kick/dash home rubbish at Bunbury 

Just my opinion  which im entitled  to - but from an excitement/entertainment - and betting aspect - give me a meeting each Sat night - at Narrogin and Wagin - they can alternate it - and you can kiss goodbye Bunbury 

Donaldson Park - pity Saddam Hussein isnt still around - because he could drop a bomb on it for all i care - good riddance to it - from a harness racing aspect
    A few of us need to apologise to the Reeves stable, our weight was too much to deal with. Was such a nice price early! Still think the horse has more to give than that if it puts it all together.
    Been a good stable to me Gilga.
    Does very well considering most are cast offs.
  • ashleighmpashleighmp    24 posts
    I’m obviously quite bias but Hayden does a super job with the quality of horse he gets. With the most expensive horse on the property being $2500, he manages to make a living out of the cast offs most wouldn’t want. Proud wife that makes his life hell when he brings a new one home ;-)

I’m obviously quite bias but Hayden does a super job with the quality of horse he gets. With the most expensive horse on the property being $2500, he manages to make a living out of the cast offs most wouldn’t want. Proud wife that makes his life hell when he brings a new one home ;-)

100% and as a punter when they win they tend to win at well over the odds of what they should be so it’s a great result for everyone!

Love to see what you guys could do with a couple of horse that didn’t come with the baggage the ones at that price range all come with.

cisco likes this post.

Not forgetting without this particular stable Albany last year would not have survived and last Sat night as a one of example, same scenario.
    Wake up administrators and give these grassroots stables as much reward and recognition as they deserve.

cisco likes this post.

Yeah i echo those thoughts re H Reeves - does a great job considering the quality of horse hes got to work with 

You just need a touch of luck re new owners - you never know whats around the corner 

You look at EM Stride - Rosati - would have to be the biggest standardbred owner in Aust - re pure numbers - hes got all those Stride horses - Anthony Butt is his main man - but he has also sent a few to David Miles in Vic - and the lesser ones a few have gone to Qld -and in the last 8 weeks or so he has sent  about 4-5 ( again the lesser performed horses ) to Ben Yole  in Tassie 

So who knows - he might send half a dozen to WA . If i was a young trainer - id get on the front foot - id ring him up - he must have about 70-80  of those Stride horses - hes got a stack of them - and say look this is my winning strike rate  etc etc - would you like to send some horses to WA - like they say - there is no harm done asking .

freodockers likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    Rosati and Butt split last month.---they had 5 group 1 winners in 18 months

Rosati and Butt split last month.---they had 5 group 1 winners in 18 months

I didnt know that 

He is ruthless - about 7-8 years ago  approx - one of those Stride horses won the NSW Derby - Lizzie Heath was training it a young woman 

The horse didnt lose form  or nothing - but next preparation he sent it to Luke McCarthy - it would have broken her heart 

• savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    The bloodlines changed sides in the war at least twice.

curmudgeon likes this post.