In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 14 Non Members

2021 Melbourne Cup Thread

East Coast Racing

Comments

• jumjum    3,015 posts
    thefalcon said:

i'll tell you blokes something for nothing...something way down in the weights will take the cup home.

Throw some names at the stumps Falc
  • thefalconthefalcon    17,949 posts
    i'll tell you blokes something for nothing...something way down in the weights will take the cup home.......
    give me a bit of time, jum. all i said is that i reckon the higher rated horses have the job ahead of them and will be hard pressed to win..
  • ColdyColdy    1,632 posts
    Not sure If Baron Samedi is on its way here? I know it was nominated . Sportbets have no odds for it. I would more than happy to have a crack at it if i could.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    5,282 posts
    Not in the weights so must have pulled out mate, very few are actually coming 1/2 dozen at most i think they are suggesting.

Coldy likes this post.

• PCPC    1,870 posts
    thefalcon said:

i'll tell you blokes something for nothing...something way down in the weights will take the cup home.......

give me a bit of time, jum. all i said is that i reckon the higher rated horses have the job ahead of them and will be hard pressed to win..

Realm Of Flowers has 51kg. Won the Listed Andrew Ramsden Stakes (2800m) at Flemington in May. That race is a Melbourne Cup ballot exception race so Realm Of Flowers is guaranteed a start in the Melbourne Cup.

One thing that is against her is that she's a mare and not many mares have won the race in recent times - last one was Makybe Diva in 2005, 2004 and 2003, before that was Ethereal in 2001 and even further back was Jezabeel in 1998.
  • Precision1Precision1    249 posts
    edited September 15
    thefalcon said:

The winners down in the weights the last 10 years have been the European 3yo’s which we will have none of this year.  So you’re relying on tried unsuccessful stayers to improve lengths?  The minimum still looking like 53kg so the weight difference really isn’t that much when you’re talking proven WFA performers to struggling handicap stayers 

jum, oldhendo likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    5,282 posts
    One of the toppies is definitely not coming - Sonnyboyliston, Murtagh said their sending him for a break and from what i heard Eustace say Sir Dragonet they think doesn't quite stay the trip so he would be doubtful too.Assume Twilight Payment is coming back but there are limited to virtually zero raiders coming for various reasons so your right the recent "prototype" doesn't exist this year as such.
    The one i've mentioned Surefire($51)though is of that mould/age bracket, major difference is having been acquired by Waller not sure how he will go following a different style of training method or if their even still going ahead with a prep, i haven't heard anything more since the late August interview.
  • thefalconthefalcon    17,949 posts
    Surefire won't know whats hit it when he lobs in wallers production line...use to the rolling fields of the UK then the huge barn like structures in amongst scores of other horses then trundled out for a quick sprint around randwick with hundreds of other horses. poor bugger.