In this Discussion

Who's Online

• tony   15 seconds ago
1 Members & 26 Non Members

Mitch Pateman suspended for 4 weeks!

West Australian Racing

Comments

• spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Was the horse disqualified from the race? . Even so doesn’t help now if you back d the second horse. Got of light pardon the pun
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Would say no due to it being a overweight issue after the race---- carried more then its allocated weight,in therace --Not sure if the handicapper would factor that it in going forward when assessing a penalty for the horse.
  • MoonrakerMoonraker    99 posts

Would say no due to it being a overweight issue after the race---- carried more then its allocated weight,in therace --Not sure if the handicapper would factor that it in going forward when assessing a penalty for the horse.

Agree the answer will be no - but if you think about it, it potentially did get an unfair advantage. ie got the services of a potentially superior jockey that it otherwise shouldn't have at the weight - the benefit of this could outweigh the extra 0.5kg impost.
  • RodentRodent    7,025 posts
    Moonraker said:

Agree the answer will be no - but if you think about it, it potentially did get an unfair advantage. ie got the services of a potentially superior jockey that it otherwise shouldn't have at the weight - the benefit of this could outweigh the extra 0.5kg impost.
    No advantage as W.Pike would have been the replacement jockey.
    So no mention of why he weighed out at the correct weight? Substitution of gear? Had a drink after weighing out?
     No mention of riding Hear Me in the first race at 58kg but unable to make 58.5kg in race 5? We all know jockeys lose weight throughout the day.
     Many unanswered questions and 4 weeks is light.
  • GLAMOURGLAMOUR    677 posts
    I see he cant accept rides of anything under 58kg.
    Also no mention of the steward overseeing the weigh in not noticing the absence of a girth and surcingle?

RIO, JimmyPop likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Rodent said:

Also no mention of the steward overseeing the weigh in not noticing the absence of a girth and surcingle?

If you suspended every steward for incompetence like this, our industry would be shut down before the end of the next meet!!!

jum likes this post.

• ManchildManchild    681 posts
    Jockeys sometimes leave off the girth  and or breastplate, if they are struggling making the weight.
     then put it on after weigh out.
  • FlandersFlanders    1,198 posts
    Rodent said:

It was seen on Sky Thoroughbred Central, otherwise it probably never happened.
  • licklick    305 posts
    For goodness sake, the Stewards have done a great job in being alert to this. I say well done stewards. Penalty could have been more.
    edited August 2021
    lick said:

For goodness sake, the Stewards have done a great job in being alert to this. I say well done stewards. 

Really? Then why do form guides still say that 58.5kg was carried when we all know it was 59kg?
     It is their job to look after integrity and not have false information published.

RIO likes this post.

PNG
    PNG
    tac.PNG
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    lick said:

For goodness sake, the Stewards have done a great job in being alert to this. I say well done stewards. Penalty could have been more.

oh you jest!!!!!! Sarcasm obviously..The jocks weigh in and the Jocks weigh out.. In front of stewards for what reason????
    There are a number of aspects to this:
    1. If it wasn't seen on TV, this probably isn't even a thing.
    2. Lucky the horse won. If it got beat (especially a small margin), MP was probably in deeper dung than this.
    3. If it did get beat, they probably wouldn't have had the camera on them, therefore we are back to point 1- never happened.
    4. Should there be a "general" camera trained on the mounting/dismounting areas, with the footage reviewed later?
    5. Does this/has this, happened before (suspect yes is the answer), how often/how do they get away with it?
    6. If he weighed in overweight, without being dodgy about it/misleading the stewards/making them look stupid, he probably gets a fine.

I guess most of this comes back to the stewards and their ability and focus on being able to keep an eye on these things.
  • LooksLikeTroubleLooksLikeTrouble    134 posts
    edited August 2021
    I don’t think it happens as much as it used to. I can remember jocks weighing out with just a coat hanger with the saddle cloth number on it.

Manchild, thefalcon likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts
    :-$ :-$ :-$ 
  • shothrushothru    243 posts
    Manchild said:

Jockeys sometimes leave off the girth  and or breastplate, if they are struggling making the weight.

then put it on after weigh out.
    Correct
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    the 4 weeks suspension will give MP time to reconsider his future. the strain on his body and mind to stay a tick under 58kg would be intense.
    i'm sure his family, friends and dietician are saying "its time"...

JimmyPop likes this post.

• Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    2,047 posts
    edited September 2021
    lick said:

Lick they never knew until someone sent the tape, A steward once told me after fining me that when they make mistakes they get sacked, I asked when has that ever happened? no answer 

normally it is a fine, very stiff penalty
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    C'mon PB, the blind Mice have never been wrong.

I had a story to tell, but its that bizarre, its not worth repeating. No-one would believe it. Best just to say, even when they admit to making an error, they're still not wrong!!

Piston_Broke likes this post.

i remembered this when he copped another suspension to start on 3rd oct. what happened to the 4 weeks? i don't recall it happening.....
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    According to RWWA website he is riding on a stay, don't know when the appeal will be heard

these "stays" are a load of rubbish. if proved guilty..which he has...the penalty starts immediately.
    these "stays" are aust. wide...."please sir i have a ride in the widgie cup in 3 weeks, can i start my suspension after that?"....then sniggers to himself  "they'll forget it by then.."....
    8-}
    thefalcon said:

these "stays" are a load of rubbish. if proved guilty..which he has...the penalty starts immediately.

these "stays" are aust. wide...."please sir i have a ride in the widgie cup in 3 weeks, can i start my suspension after that?"....then sniggers to himself  "they'll forget it by then.."....
    8-}

Yep, it makes a complete joke of the penalty and the stewards by delaying it while they maximise the upcoming races (in this example it is ALL of the Kalgoorlie carnival).
  • LooksLikeTroubleLooksLikeTrouble    134 posts
    If they appeal they should be told if you fail your penalty doubles. I’ll bet there wouldn’t be too many appeals or stays

thefalcon likes this post.

If they appeal they should be told if you fail your penalty doubles. I’ll bet there wouldn’t be too many appeals or stays

In the NRL they provide discounts for early guilty pleas which sees most just copping the suspension rather than fighting it.

thefalcon, Thunderstruck likes this post.

anyhow back to the big question....when will mitch serve his suspensions?

i reckon brad parnham will cop his 9 days on the chin...
  • LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    I reckon Mitch Pateman genuinely must feel he’s not guilty, because there’s no way you’d put your suspension on hold with the Ascot carnival about to kick off