G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 35 Non Members

Belmont 25/9/21

West Australian Racing
R1- RUTHLESS TYCOON looks one of the top 3yo Sprinters we’ll see this season. Unbeaten in four public appearances and was a sensational win at his sole race start. Jumped, travelled and was able to show a sustained turn of foot from the 400 when asked to quicken and won soft. Returns in a small but talented field off the back of an impressive trial when he showed he was able to take a sit. Still think they’ll want to and can lead this field with strong Easterlies forecast for the first time this Belmont season.

R2- RED FIFTY THREE doesn’t do anything wrong and looks capable of remaining undefeated here. Has been able to jump well, travel boldly and find in the straight at both race starts and his trial from this prep. Didn’t beat much on debut but did beat War Gem and Harmika last start who both look above average. Stepping to 1400 looks a positive the way he got to the line last start and leads again on a track that could play heavily in his favour.

R3- SAFETY BAY really found some form at the back of last prep and looks like she’s held it. Ran two seconds to Fiery Bay and Billy Ain’t Silly who have gone on to win class five and 72+ races respectively. Won a recent trial well which was a strong form trial and was a really strong winner first up in a strong class one field. Was wide most of the way working forward and still found to kick away from Stella Vista. Jumps to a 58+ but these Westspeed races aren’t the strongest.

R4- CALL AGAIN has been going super this campaign. Trialled really strongly, wasn’t suited first up before running Karijini Aurora to 1L beating two subsequent winners. Has been strong winning his last two when wide throughout two back and rolling forward and bolting in last start. Looks ready to take on Saturday grade now and gets a good opportunity here in a race where he can be right over the speed against mostly moderate opposition.

R5- Best Bet: MULTIVERSE has been building towards a win all prep and won’t get a better chance than this once back to Ascot. Was just fair first and second up before finishing fourth in the Belmont Newmarket within 1L of Samizdat, Tellem We’re Comin and Indian Pacific, fifth beaten 2.5L over 1300 at WFA and a super close third when deep the trip last start. Drops back to a 72+ for the first time in 12 starts and gets in with 57.5kg after the claim. Should find the breeze and is tough as old boots.

R6- COME MAGIC has returned to racing really well off the long break. Only beaten by a good one in Wilchino first up before leading, running and giving nothing else a chance last start. Stepping to 1200 is a little query and probably on her limit but she can kick through and should lead pretty comfortably again. In a big field on a day with Easterlies around could be the extra help she needs to win at 1200.

R7- MASSIMO trialled enormous for his Gangemi stable debut. They do a fantastic job with tried horses and hoping they present the Massimo of old. Was very robust and powerful as a young horse and became leaner as he transitioned to a miler but off the trial he looks like a sprinter again. Expect they roll forward to the breeze in a field without a lot of genuine speed. Goes good fresh, loves Belmont and Clint knows him well.

R8- BORN TO TRY gets the nod in this weeks staying raffle. Going as good as anything and is a winner this campaign but the big flashing light here is the engagement of Paul Harvey. It does mean she’ll have to carry the full 60kg but is a winner with 59.5 and he looks the perfect man for her. Raced off seven weeks at 1600 two back and chased hard for third and didn’t get things to suit last start when tightened on the turn and laying right out. As good a chance as any here.

R9- EM TEE AYE was enormous first up in a strong field. Sat four deep no cover the entire and kept coming in the straight to get within 1.5L of Mystical View and Dunbar. Didn’t quite come up in the Autumn but his Summer prep was super including a win in this grade second up and placings in the WA Guineas, a 72+ and behind Naughty By Nature. Trialled like he normally does this prep so expect him to show his normal level of second up improvement. Rolls forward to find a top four spot in running and is tough.
+1 -1

Tucool, jum likes this post.

Comments

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,236 posts
    Massimo bar plates ON as of 11am this arvo . Not good if punting early.
    **morning
    Family Discussion has come up in the black book. Would want 50s though....
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,744 posts
    R9 Power of St George is a best bet
  • ChrisChris    5,219 posts
    Policere wins
  • bradybrady    1,452 posts
    R1 Spin the Knife
    R2 Black Fantasy
    R9 Em Tee Aye

• ChrisChris    5,219 posts
    Concrete Jungle copping a lot of bad press in the last week
  • BazmaceBazmace    31 posts
    Best value picks today

R3. Safety Bay. Great win first up. Likes a good track and gets its main jockey back on.

R8. Vintage Stock. 2 big runs to start the campaign. Suited to the extra distance, good track and gets a 1.5kg weight swing on Sowar from last race. Very keen

R9 point taken. Impressive last race with laqdar back aboard. Similar setup here with more suited conditions.

Chris likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Pikey had a mate riding "shotgun" for him there, the Equal fav got poleaxed mid race.
  • TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    Yes, but he put himself there.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    the stakes race has me in a quandry..the top 4 are first up and have bigger fish to fry later on. laverrods 1st up record is not flash 1 win from 5. massimo is a query, i think he was owned by oakland park stud, neville duncan is a very canny breeder/owner. why did he sell it?
    i know its way out of its class, but mystical view is worth a few dollars. its win was sensational. the hoop is a bit of a concern, she is far cry from a year or so ago....when you have lightweights like carbery and o'donnell sitting in the jocks room.
    just saying, thats all...
  • RodentRodent    7,025 posts
    Someone please get Lisa Staples a stopwatch.

Manchild, Uttsy likes this post.

• TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    Multiverse could've done without the claim.

Bazmace likes this post.

edited September 2021
    Usually goes pear shaped when things like this are said..but how many more winners does Pikey ride? i'm going with 3.

Think Pont wins the staying race later on Delta's horse :P
    Bit weak Rod Laver .. my jonah kicks in.
  • RodentRodent    7,025 posts
    Laverrod was a strange price in the end. Maybe people just think the Melbourne form is lengths better because on what he'd done in W.A he was a ridiculous price.

thefalcon likes this post.

• ArapahoArapaho    223 posts
    What a good horse Uni time is 
    Never far away no matter what he meets ,
    Well deserved.

Flanders, Chris likes this post.

6peat for William in the last..... ?
  • YankeeYankee    299 posts
    I am expecting the others hoops to all come together and state we are not playing if Willie is playing!

6peat for William in the last..... ?

yes he can  ^:)^ :x
  • FlandersFlanders    1,199 posts
    Rodent said:

Laverrod was a strange price in the end. Maybe people just think the Melbourne form is lengths better because on what he'd done in W.A he was a ridiculous price.

The poor horse has had fark all break from training/racing/interstate travel, pretty much EVER in its entire career. A perfect candidate to be ruined prematurely- whether it's greed or poor management I don't know but either way, I'd be surprised if it ever achieve what it should in its life. A shame for mine, the way this horse has been treated
  • FlandersFlanders    1,199 posts
    thefalcon said:

the stakes race has me in a quandry..the top 4 are first up and have bigger fish to fry later on. laverrods 1st up record is not flash 1 win from 5. massimo is a query, i think he was owned by oakland park stud, neville duncan is a very canny breeder/owner. why did he sell it?

i know its way out of its class, but mystical view is worth a few dollars. its win was sensational. the hoop is a bit of a concern, she is far cry from a year or so ago....when you have lightweights like carbery and o'donnell sitting in the jocks room.

There are many hoops here getting a sit when there are far better-credentialled options sitting in the jocks room, it is puzzling to be honest. It is baffling, when you think how much it costs to keep a horse in training- why on earth would you put an average jock on, when you can have a reliable rider on instead?? Surely you want a return on your investment? Then, why wouldn't you give yourself the best chance to achieve that?

thefalcon likes this post.

fantasic afternoon for pike..i figured he made @13k in %ages and riding fees...not a bad arvos work.
    by rights (precluded by covid) he should be going to melbourne...but  hang on...not a bad life here, eh? great life on the farm, few trackwork mornings....life of riley springs to mind.

• Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts
    Flanders said:

thefalcon said:

There are many hoops here getting a sit when there are far better-credentialled options sitting in the jocks room, it is puzzling to be honest. It is baffling, when you think how much it costs to keep a horse in training- why on earth would you put an average jock on, when you can have a reliable rider on instead?? Surely you want a return on your investment? Then, why wouldn't you give yourself the best chance to achieve that?

a brilliant post. Im only a minor shareholder in my horses so i get no say in booking etc but many a time i scratch my head with utter dismay when i see the jockey engagement. And most of the time its not about the rider riding it per say, its the jockey left in the room that could be onboard instead of who was chosen. I understand loyalty but in a costly game where training fees are expensive it should be winning first and loyalty 2nd (or 3rd or 4th).

Flanders, thefalcon, jum, hash likes this post.

rodent, rhys radford seems to have some sort of affinity with the staples. one of them seem to be always on one of his horse.
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Pay the roughly around $100 per week for a track work rider. And put who you want on . That’s about a extra $400 a month on a he bill. If. You have time to wait around for a jock to work your horse every morning then they expect the ride. Start your horse and don’t name the jock who works it every morning and you will soon be paying a track worker rider anyway
    interesting spink, approx how much per week would a good, reliable track worker make?
  • spinkingspinking    3,739 posts
    Think most are $20 a throw now Falcon. So if they get there at 4a and stay till 8am . Even if the ride 3 a hour that’s $240 a morning times that by six . And it’s not bad coin. A fair bit would be cash as well. And they may have a part or full time job as well

• ArapahoArapaho    223 posts
    Don't worry, trainers will still charge the owners 20 no matter who rides the horse in track work.

Manchild likes this post.