G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 40 Non Members

Preux Chevalier Group 3 October 22 GP

Harness & Greyhounds
Pleasing to see some pre- race promotion from GP for the Preux Chevalier race this week on their facebook and twitter pages, long overdue. They to have probably given up on the Chanel Stokes Racing department. Appropriate to post the demolition job he did on a very stout field in the 1985 NZ FFA at Addington. Absolute super star.

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Don’t think “The Frog” was too keen on the catchers horse.
    Pinned back his ears and arched his neck.
    Right at the very end of video.

VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Another ripper thanks JJ.
    Gee what a super pacer he was Preux Chevalier.
  • PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    JayJay you are to be commended hopefully a WATA Media award awaits you????

VillageKid likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Oh my, an award? Haha, never in a million years, my next and only award will be for increasing greenhouse gas emissions via the crematorium. About as popular as a fart in a phonebox down Nelson crescent way, they have an annual prayer group in the CEO's office hoping I don't renew my membership each year.

On a serious note, it is marvelous that a lot of the fantastic footage from champions of years past survives and is accessible via You Tube. My daily productivity, never much to write home about, is severely compromised when I get on a run scrolling back through available content. To watch those horses and to hear that crowd noise knowing that you were one of the 10's of thousands in attendance is very joyful in times when joy is hard to find.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    The Frog looked a bit scratchy to me in the bit heading back to scale. I think Barry had some foot issues with him or something for a while.

The Frog looked a bit scratchy to me in the bit heading back to scale. I think Barry had some foot issues with him or something for a while.

He was retired not long after that too from memory Curmudgeon.

curmudgeon likes this post.

Race 1-   Paul Edward,  Loucid Dreams,  Griffin Lodge,  Hilarious Reign
    Race 2-   Diego,  Alta Intrigue,  Queen Shenandoah,  Rock Me Over
    Race 3-   Savvy Bromac,  Sheez Our Hope,  Wainui Creek,  Fifty Five Reborn
    Race 4-   Bletchley Park,  Galactic Star,  My Carbon Copy,  Ideal Liner
    Race 5-   Finvarra,  Withoutthetuh,  Know When To Run,  Machnificent
    Race 6-   Always An Angel,  Royal Essence,  Booraa,  Benesari Lane
    Race 7-   Alta Blues,  Hit The Sky,  Gee Smith,  The Tiger Army
    Race 8-   Euphoria,  Medieval Man,  Our Star Watch,  Zazu
    Race 9-   Sahara Tiger,  Double Expresso,  Major Stare,  Jesse Allwood
    Race 10- Dominate The Dojo,  Deeorse,  Our Sequel,  CC Chevron

cisco, sonny likes this post.

Just one more start after that win in the NZ FFA rating 1.57.2 over the 2000m, and that was 8 days later on November 23 1985 at Addington when he ran 2nd to Royden Glen in a FFA. He didn't have many starts, just 53 for 41 wins and $790k in stakes. Was retired to stud and produced 326 live foals for 74 winners, his best 3 being Ryans Day, First Glimpse and Noble Chevalier, all $100k plus earners. He died of colic on June 2, 2007 aged 29. I suspect his future as a broodmare sire will be very rosey as per his own sire Lumber Dream, with Miss Galvinator and Fleur De Lil already million dollar earners amongst his 70 winners from 102 starters.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts
    The recent addition of ads on this site isnt such a bad thing but holy the ad placments are eyebleedingly painful on mobile. A full mobile screen sized ad mid-forum. Yikes

Race 10- Dominate The Dojo,  Deeorse,  Our Sequel,  CC Chevron

No argument with your tips VK but I hope there are a few rubles left in the account coming to the last.....47 starts since Dojo last saluted, 27 for Deorse, Our Sequel has a win in his last 22 but I think he was disqualified on a positive and grand old duck CC Chevron has gone around 59 times since her last win. And TABtouch are offering $2.30 the Dojo...... streuth, go to bed JJ, go to bed.

Yep and first 4 will pay $10.00.
    Vespa
    GG Gobanna
    Galactic Star
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Where is Gilga???

freodockers, cisco, VillageKid likes this post.

Yes Sonny been wondering same thing myself.

cisco, VillageKid likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Watching the GP replays - Savvy Bromac it is an exciting horse - last 2 runs have been rippers 

Lindsay Harper has had a good night - trained 2 winners 

Re the punt - the next at Bunbury  - very ordinary field - and because of that reason - i think that FIFO has got a flukers hope - been hitting the line allright - with  decent closing sectionals - something small e/w Fifo- hah 
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Had the biggest bet of my punting career $2,000 on Preux Chevalier on debut at Pinjarra after watching him trial at Pinjarra.

Pacific Idol owned by Roy Annear was also heavily supported in that race but neither of them were successful.

JayJay may be able to fill in the dots here as I think a filly by the name of Timely Countess won the race but her record shows only one start for one win as a three year old.
    Chariots, his debut was actually at Busselton would you believe, running 4th to Scottish Marine (Jack Retzlaff), Trooper Royal and Ben Wood, winner rated 2.11.1 on December 19th, 1981 as a 3 year old. The race you are referring to above was his 2nd start in a race on January 30th 1982 at Pinjarra, a 3 year old stand race worth $1300, won by Pacific Idol (Fred Kersley) ...Preux Chevalier was 2nd, Timely Countess was 3rd and others in finishing order were Snowmobile, Toliver Toby, San Joe (10m), Top Bromac, Alfies Heir (10m) and Flying Wren. Bronze Oro, Brijac and Alluvial Strike were all non finishers. Winners Mile Rate 2.4.1. I was actually there that day though I don't recall his race but Trial Flight won that day for Phil and Wilf Powell....and it was his first win in WA....and I know I was there cos I have a winning bet written in the racebook. Other winners on the day Islamic (Mick Saligari), Kuju San (Dennis Richards), Hanover Attack (Mick Ward), General Credit (N Turvey....Neville not Nathan), Ronessa (Colin Warwick) and Jadan (Mark Roberts).
    Preux Chevalier's next start was February 12th 1982 at GP in a $5,500 3yo race when 3rd to Bill's Return (Allen Mitchell) and Flying Wren. Other winners that night were jackbyrd (Lou Austin), Our Pow Wow (Tricky), Pride Of Kentucky (Phil), Classic Prince (Phil for Ernie Denham), The Golden Nugget Final Sinn Fein (Greg Harper) over Nalarra Boy and Gundary Flyer, Euraman (John Harney) and Jacawarra (Max Johnson).
    This could become tedious reading but I will keep going until he wins one. Next Up February 20th 1982 at Pinjarra, he was 2nd to Indian Lord (Peter Schrader) with Redwood Valley 3rd. Other winners that day were Mobile Karamea (Ron Young), Rummin (Mark Roberts), Some fella (Lou Austin), Dietmar Schott (Jimmy The Jet), Kings Shadow (ACL), Nevele Score (FRK), Sherman (Warrick Froyland, RIP young Wocka) and Radiant Tulips (Kim Young). Start 5 was at Fremantle, 4th  in a $5,500 3yo race to Liebchen Lady (Val Pereira), Paleface Rajah and Apollinaire. Other winners that night were Bold direct (Phil), Dame Laura (Woody), Via Vista (Peter Schrader), Brom's Son (Jimmy The jet), Young symbol (Barry Warwick), Lattram River (Ray Sweetman) and Festino (Jimmy The jet). Finally, success at start 6 at GP in a $5,500 3yo mobile race beating Matai Brett and Charles Largesse rating 2.2.4. Barry perkins drove him of course. Other winners that night were Meadow Fella (Lyle Lindau), Seattle Prince (Trevor Towie), Down And Out (geoff Marriott), the Interdominion Grand Final Rhetts Law (Colin Warwick) over Lehigh Lad and Popular Alm, the consolation was won bt Sharach (Graham Taylor) over Neeron Boy and Ardstraw and Casey Otara (Lyle Lindau).
    Timely Countess had her first start on December 19th 1981 finishing 7th of 9 to Benemerenza (TBW), then that 3rd to Pacific Idol and Preux Chevalier, 2nd to Flying Wren (Kevin Batt) at Bunbury, 8th to Bills Return at GP, 6th benemerenza, 9th to easy Armbro (woody), a 3rd at York to Heather Ayr (Andy Torrent), 6th to Fantasy Lass (FRK), a 5th to Liebchen Lady (Val Pereira), before finally winning a $750 3yo race at Wyalkatchem for Bill Duffy to round out her three year old campaign with the one win, total prizemoney of $1085 and a best winning mile rate of 2.10.2 after sizzling around Wylie on a cool Sunday Arvo in May 1982. And in case you are wondering, the collection of racebooks says  yes, I was there (no recall), and other winners on the day were Travers King (Les Williams - probably why I was there, he was a fair horse Travers King), Jondaren (A.R (Fred) Harrison), Black Lord (Vern Ferguson), Wrack Knight (Tom Elliott) and Mighty Racy making it a double for Bill Duffy.

Great reading JayJay.

Thanks JayJay the memories have dimmed but one thing I was sure of was that I backed the best horse in the race but did not collect.
    As FD posted that was great reading JJ.
    Gee there are some great names listed there both horse and human.

Thanks JayJay the memories have dimmed but one thing I was sure of was that I backed the best horse in the race but did not collect.

Ross, this won't dull the pain as we approach the 40th Anniversary of your bet but Pacific Idol was indeed eons away from being in the same room as Preux Chevalier. You did indeed back the best horse in the race by several lengths of the straight. Although the HRA records are far, far superior to anything that our blue blood cousins have (the thoroughbred data bases are lamentable), a fair bit was lost in the "translation" when old manually recorded stuff was converted to digital form. Fortunately, I have a  a lot of the old year Books as back up, they are a terrific resource.  As such Pacific Idols record on HRA (17 starts, 3 wins, 1 second and 4 thirds for $6263) is incorrect. It is in fact far worse than that. He started life as "Turbine NZ" by boom sire of the day Out To Win from a very unremarkable NZ family, not sure what Roy Annear saw in him but he  was cleared to WA in the 7/10/1981. First start as a 3yo saw him heavily backed to record that win over Preux Chevalier at Pinjarra on January 30 1982. It was downhill after that.

His next 9 starts as a 3yo produced just a single 3rd placing behind Unit Four and ironically, Preux Chevalier, in a heat of the WA Derby, not good enough to qualify for the final won by Smooth Dave from Classic Garry and Bold Direct. Take note, there were five...that's 5... Derby Heats, first two qualifying for the final. Compare that to the rubbish we are served up nowadays, not even a prelude, just a consensus selection from the office. Anyway, I digress. Preux Chevalier started in the final but was pulled up with what transpired to be a fractured canon bone. His other 8 starts as a 3 year old resulted in a 10th, a dnf, 7th, 6th, 8th, 6th, 5th and 11th behind moderate opposition for total stakes of $1405.

He was then spelled for 11 months returning for 7 starts as a 4 year old for three seconds (behind Trenarkle Colin Smith, Indian Lord Rod Chambers and Intercontinental Fred Hough), a third to Nialou Francis Wade and a 10th, a ninth and a 7th for stakes of $845.

Somewhat surprisingly, he raced on as a 5 year old having 15 starts for 3 wins, all for Chris Lewis at Cunderdin and Bunbury twice, a second to Laser Guy Greg Miles and four third placings to Poet Colin Warwick, Junior Foreman Gary Lilleyman, Blue Tongue Kenny Tyler (at the Northam Cup Meeting won by Sinn Fein) and Milson Prince Lou Austin, and 7 unplaced efforts all at country or midweek city meetings. His final start was on December 10th 1983 when 8th to Flying Wren at Pinjarra, bringing down the curtain on a most insignificant career when compared to his first combatant. Not quite sure how he won that first race, perhaps Roy, if he were alive might be able to fill us in. His life time record stands at 32 starts, 4 wins, 4 seconds and 6 thirds for $6193. I hope he lived out a comfortable retirement somewhere.

curmudgeon, sonny, savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Pacific Idol was beautifully gaited & fast point to point. He wore white shin & tendon boots - about his only gear and was quite an impressive dark brown almost black horse from memory. If he drew well and wasn't accosted he went ok...if pressured he used to faint. He may have got away with a bit on expectation in that first race....but soon was worked out.

Yes, I can't really place him at all, had horses going around at the time, Asti Lobell, Lady Be Cool just starting off....but that was a huge stable at the time, a bit of a revolving door like Bonds and Halls and it was hard to keep up. But the red with the white vee did it's fair share of beating up on our scrubbers much like the blue and pink circle does in this era. I recall at one stage when Jack was training that they had Phil, Woody, FRK and ACL (as well as Retzlaff himself) on call to drive them in the races.

I do recall the race where Pacific Idol was beaten by Trenarkle which I owned. He was named after son Trent and his favourite footballer in Phil Narkle. He was a brilliant track worker but rarely produced it in races.

Incidentally my $2000 bet on Preux Chevalier is equivalent to $8000 today when a big bet for me is $100.

JayJay, curmudgeon, VillageKid, freodockers likes this post.

Very well bred horse Trenarkle....by Romeo Hanover out of the extremely well performed Crusaders Kerl, Ron Buswell as I recall. A striking black mare who ran 2nd to Red Vicar (Roc Eden 3rd) in the once brilliant race, The Easter Handicap which had 3 heats and a final for decent money. In one of the the Easter Handicaps around that time (1972), Emulari won for Laurie Robinson and Clive Skipper at about 33/1 and paid for my Uni Books, around $300, that I didn't have at the time. The punting gods were a lot kinder then!!!

I purchased Trenarkle off Reg Marsden unraced for $2500 as I liked the mare. Unfortunately he was dominated by the sire, another Annear import whose progeny had speed but lacked toughness.

Trenarkle when retired became a hack for my daughter Chelsey who later followed her Grandfather into the training caper.

JayJay, VillageKid, curmudgeon likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Not much to go on but early 80s was there a reinsman that had a nickname Snakes? or was it just a disgruntled punter over the fence calling him out---- the horse may have been Shimmershine or similar  the driver was just laughing at the abuse. 

Went to Annears track few times  which was on baldivis rd -- Jack  Retzlaff was the trainer the cost to set up would have  been huge $$ seemed like the fastwork  track  was built on top of a hill   the peak was removed with sand shifted to build up the country on the side for the  stable complex  with a jog sand track; They had 100 winners one season.

Have mentioned it before talk about a morning glory Seanui  would towel up open class horses at retzlaffs  the talk was this  is a ferrari think his final card showed him being  puta-puta bang-- bang.things you remember

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

Seanui....more hype about him than Clive's rebuild of the Titanic. You can put up with the ones with no ability but the pretenders like him cause stomach ulcers. His record, also somewhat lost in the conversion to digital, is truly awful.
    He was bought from New Zealand after 4 starts as a 3 year old produced a single win for $1335, no placings and a winning time of 2.14.9.....I kid you not. Won his first start in WA at Pinjarra July 16, 1979 for Jack Retzlaff and then ran last after playing up in the last 3 year old race of the season at GP on July 27.
    As a 4 year old, he had 17 starts for two wins (a GP Mid week for Phil and a 2.26 front at Harvey for Jack) plus 3 seconds and a third for $2100 in stakemoney. As a 5yo, it was 10 starts for no wins, a second and a third for $453. It gets worse. As a 6yo, 8 starts, no wins or placings, zero dollars, 7yo was 6 starts, no wins or placings and zero dollars and someone (don't know who) gave him a single start as an 8yo on November 4th 1983 and he ran 11th at Narrogin, 12 months after running 14th at Northam and 7th at Collie.
    All up, 48 starts over 6 seasons for 4 wins, 4 seconds and 2 thirds for $4,518. Lyle Lindau's very good horse of Bonny Sweetapple's, Typhson, has a fair bit to answer for as people rushed to buy Typhoon Hanover stock and they were generally absolute cats and Seanui was one of them.

savethegame, curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

STG, there was a horse called Shimmershine, I am sure he was bred down in the South West, cant recall who had him ....but......he had a brother called Trader Horn who I think.....big query....but I think contested the Interdominion up in Brisbane one year, maybe the year Red Vicar and Bay Brigade travelled up their. Without searching, and it would be a big search, I think Trader Horn was raced by a bloke called Milentis (there are dozens of them in Manjimup) and again, I think I recall Laurie Robinson winning on Trader Horn in town, a pretty nice horse if I have things right.

savethegame, curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• getthechangegetthechange    310 posts
    pretenders like Seanui - going back in time with Chariots - Neither Chariots or I have much hair left thanks in part to Trenarkle - Chariots purchased him and when I first got him he would go from the inside of the track on the turns to the outside in the straights but had good speed like his mother the good sit/kick mare Crusaders Kerl trained by Ron Buswell as mentioned by Jay Jay.
    When he started going straight he started running fast times not much below horses like Graymoore Dream and a few other fast class horses that worked at GP at the time were running.
    From memory his first start was at Cunderdin and Mike Reed drove him as I was suspended and he sat one out one back and I thought a matter of how far - ran an average 3rd . Got the hip pocket of Chariots and myself on many occasions and won a few races but his race form was nothing compared to his performances on Wednesday and Saturday track work. My father had a go at him and one morning on our 600m track he gave Racy Times about 60m start and beat her  - Racy Times was a trier that always gave her best and went to GP and was in the money - Trenarkle went to Bunbury and breezed and ran midfield
    Eventually it was decided someone else should have a go at him and i think Peter Anderson won a metro stake race with him. Not sure if before or after the metro win that Chariots lost some more hair when I wanted the front with Raidar On which he part owned and Peter wanted the front with Trenarkle which Chariots fully owned and we got into a war for the first 400m at GPand pretty sure we both ran down the track