G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 17 Non Members
i heard that mr. brown was going to name the new ceo this week.
one day to go mr. brown..

Comments

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    New CEO has been announced, James Oldring. Ex British racing administrator according to Jay Rooney's article in The West. I saw this info on twitter but can't tell you any more, since I don't subscribe to their online content.
    Also the new track manager and their assistant were announced. As per above, I have no other info. Will be in the paper tomorrow I assume.

thefalcon likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i imagine a bloke with a handlebar moustache, tweed coat with leather patches on the elbows.. :-?

freodockers, RIO, Notapuntas likes this post.

• ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    James is excited about the position and a contact of a friend of mine. It's a big win for the industry.

TheDiva, Flanders, meatpie likes this post.

thanks for that chris. he is certainly a very highly qualified gent. he is a potential assent to racing WA.

freodockers likes this post.

• Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts
    The proof in the pudding is in the eating - lets see what he can come up with in say 18-24 months and judge from there.

Chris, thefalcon, JimmyPop, RIO likes this post.

^^ so long as he is given full rein, without going over the top.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Top Hats tipped to be mandatory to enter course on weekends I hear ..... midweek with Andy Capp Andy Capp in his "cap". | Andy capp, Cartoon strip, Vinyl toys

thefalcon likes this post.

• Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    2,047 posts
    I saw 1 headline "Ex Jockey"
    Bit of a stretch I think he was a point to point rider, so called Gentleman Rider

thefalcon, JimmyPop likes this post.

i thought he may have gone over the jumps, like that bloke who writes racing crime books..the queen mums jock.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    His taking Yovich's job? .who was alleged to be on 500k.---Wonder if takes  a hit.----Just working on rwwa,s new CEO  Edwards comes in at 550k. his  predecessor  Burt was on 820k, ---might be able to shift some harness races from 5k to 8k at albany.

VillageKid likes this post.

• wedgewedge    266 posts
    edited January 2022
    "The proof in the pudding is in the eating - lets see what he can come up with in say 18-24 months and judge from there."

This is the type of comment you see from unsuccessful applicants.  High calibre sh!thousery

Thunderstruck likes this post.

thefalcon dislikes this post.

edited January 2022
    Actually comment made with good intentions, not sure how you saw it in a negative way. Anyway, will leave it at that, but dont want people to expect miracles in 6 months, hence why i put 18-24 months
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    That's the way I read it Vince, common-sense to see how he fairs then judge progress.

JayJay, jum, thefalcon, RIO likes this post.

• wedgewedge    266 posts

Actually comment made with good intentions, not sure how you saw it in a negative way. Anyway, will leave it at that, but dont want people to expect miracles in 6 months, hence why i put 18-24 months

Apologies to all, misread this. I’m so used to sh!thousery I was somewhat Hoping for some

RIO likes this post.

ok, what are the 3 main issues he must address?
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Prize money (already addresed)
    Crowds
    Raceday exsperiance
    Costs once on course
    The race day exsperiance and costs once on course (food beverage and range) may take care of the crowd problem

psycho, detonator likes this post.

• tonytony    2,361 posts
    Prize money is RWWA responsibility

Chariotsonfire, RIO likes this post.

• psychopsycho    652 posts
    spinking said:

Crowds
    Raceday exsperiance
    Costs once on course
    The race day exsperiance and costs once on course (food beverage and range) may take care of the crowd problem

My opinion only here
    1) CROWDS : The crowds are there every week but obviously a lot smaller which is what you are alluding to.The botttom line is now any person in this state can watch (if they wish) a race almost anywhere (a phone, a tablet or the local pub) and the travel is then ZERO. The greatest problem (in my opinion) with the crowds is technology, in my day as a youngster if you wanted to watch the race you had little option but to be on course to see it
    2) RACEDAY EXPERIENCE : Dont feel this is too bad actually. You get to watch majestic animals galloping around a track, the food is OK and the drinks are easily obtainable due to smaller than normal crowds of yesteryear.
    3) COST ONCE ON COURSE : Now here we have a major problem "houston" The alcohol prices are JUST TOO HIGH, there needs to be incentives in place. Get sponsorship for beer prices (or other alcohol) and throw your hat in the ring. $5 pints all day, $5 spirit and mixers, there is a multitude of possibilities here. 
    Agree Psycho . As alluded to on here before get rid of the admission charge if you are going to charge what they do for food and beverage. Who knows they may even get more through the gate by doing so
    spinking said:

Agree Psycho . As alluded to on here before get rid of the admission charge if you are going to charge what they do for food and beverage. Who knows they may even get more through the gate by doing so

Anything is possible but they are not willing to try, I have been told Ascot is not a racetrack it's an entertainment venue, I will comment no more  :((
    wedge said:

Apologies to all, misread this. I’m so used to sh!thousery I was somewhat Hoping for some

no problemo, after rereading what i wrote i could see how it could be interpreted either way

RIO likes this post.

psycho said:

spinking said:

Crowds
    Raceday exsperiance
    Costs once on course

My opinion only here
    1) CROWDS : The crowds are there every week but obviously a lot smaller which is what you are alluding to.The botttom line is now any person in this state can watch (if they wish) a race almost anywhere (a phone, a tablet or the local pub) and the travel is then ZERO. The greatest problem (in my opinion) with the crowds is technology, in my day as a youngster if you wanted to watch the race you had little option but to be on course to see it
    2) RACEDAY EXPERIENCE : Dont feel this is too bad actually. You get to watch majestic animals galloping around a track, the food is OK and the drinks are easily obtainable due to smaller than normal crowds of yesteryear.
    3) COST ONCE ON COURSE : Now here we have a major problem "houston" The alcohol prices are JUST TOO HIGH, there needs to be incentives in place. Get sponsorship for beer prices (or other alcohol) and throw your hat in the ring. $5 pints all day, $5 spirit and mixers, there is a multitude of possibilities here. 

Agree with all. Will elaborate on something though. The liquor licence perth racing has is micromanaged to within an inch of its life by the authorities, this is actual fact confirmed by those that have worked there and is legacy of the good old “all you can drink” perth cup tentland days. Im reliably informed this has not improved.
    So $5 drinks would be awesome and would get the people in but as soon as it looks like it could promote “binge” drinking it will be shit canned.

jum likes this post.

psycho said:

spinking said:

Crowds
    Raceday exsperiance
    Costs once on course

My opinion only here

Agree with all. Will elaborate on something though. The liquor licence perth racing has is micromanaged to within an inch of its life by the authorities, this is actual fact confirmed by those that have worked there and is legacy of the good old “all you can drink” perth cup tentland days. Im reliably informed this has not improved.
    So $5 drinks would be awesome and would get the people in but as soon as it looks like it could promote “binge” drinking it will be **** canned.

Understand what you say Vincent, so much red tape in the world today

In the old days of tent land when it was out the back by the big pond which has now been filled in. You payed for your tent and basically stocked it yourself

H-BOMBER, Manchild likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    edited January 2022
    The prices of drinks at Pinjarra and Kalgoorlie are vastly cheaper than Belmont or Ascot.
    There is probably a good reason for that. And the reason is ……
    I was at Ascot on Saturday. Sitting under the umbrellas on the grass next to the mounting yard.
    Getting a drink was a breeze because the crowd was the smallest for a Saturday meeting at Ascot that I can remember. No atmosphere whatsoever.
    I reckon the vaccine proof is keeping people away. Which won’t help going forward also.
    and the reason is....the staff are volunteers?
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Dear

I hope the New Year is treating you well. I would like to thank you for
    your continued support of the Western Australian Turf Club (Perth Racing),
    and take the opportunity to share some exciting news for the future of Perth
    Racing. 

It's my pleasure to announce we have appointed British racing
    executive James Oldring as the CEO of Perth Racing to lead the future
    direction of the Club. 

James has dedicated his life to horseracing, having competed as an amateur
    jockey and worked as a pupil assistant trainer prior to beginning his career in
    the administration and commercial development of the sport.

He joins Perth Racing with extensive experience, including 9 years as
    Operations Director of British Champions Series and British Champions Day, and
    more recently, 3 years as ANZ Director for Spotlight Sports Group. 

James has said he feels privileged to be entrusted with the role of CEO for an
    organisation with such a proud history. 

As we welcome James, who will commence late March 2022, I would also like to thank
    outgoing Acting CEO Stuart Crockett for his contributions to the Club. Stuart
    guided Perth Racing through a challenging time, providing much-needed
    leadership and support to our organisation. I would like to wish Stuart the
    best of luck in his future endeavours. 

Additionally, we have also appointed new track manager Brett Sipthorpe and new
    assistant track manager Brock Neeling.

Brett Sipthorpe is a well-known leader in WA’s sporting circles and brings with
    him a wealth of knowledge from his most recent position at Optus Stadium
    and the WACA. Brock Neeling also has more than 12 years of racecourse and
    sports turf management experience.

Our new team members bring decades of track and turf management credentials as
    well as significant leadership experience to Perth Racing. They will work
    together with our General Manager Events, Operations & Infrastructure Tony
    Favazzo to add to the outstanding operational team.

This is the beginning of a new era for Perth Racing and I hope you will
    join me in welcoming the new senior appointees driving a very exciting future
    for the Club.

Remember to look out for each other and follow the advice of the WA Government
    for COVID-19 restrictions. Please be ready to show your proof of double dose
    vaccination when you visit any of Perth Racing's racecourses and hospitality
    venues. 
    Glad they got an assistant track manager with racecourse experience. I would imagine it would be essential in the maintenance to have knowledge of the particular product you are looking after. Hoping the new team serves PR well over the next few years

Manchild, thefalcon likes this post.

i wonder how much they had to pay brett sipthorpe to lure him away from optus and the waca?
    completely different types of turf, he'd have to learn cutting, watering etc etc.
    his offsider brock neeling has had experience in racecourse turf management. a light at the end of the tunnel.
    i would have thought they would get somebody from the many tracks over east. victoria must have at least 10.