G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 11 Non Members
R3 No1 Per Ardua Ad Astra. Price has been knocked off a bit but still some value in the $3.40. Bolting up behind them friday, looks a soft lead here. I've been chair of Brickies Dream fan club but i've had enough, this campaign has been sub what he can do. Even with the big grade drop happy to take him on.

R4 No1 Louie Lebeau. Another one that has been backed, think it gets back to around the $8. Last run was about as genuine an effort as you will find from this bloke. Looks the leader, EW price about ahorse racing well this grade - straight forward bet.

R5 No4 Sonic Chip (plc). Thought he could cross those inside it then sit on whoever gets there. $4 a place seems a play.

That will see me out, normally looking for bed around that time anyhow.

Good luck all, happy new year.
+1 -1

freodockers, VillageKid likes this post.

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,593 posts
    Good grief, haven't they done a bloody number on the "Christmas/Summer/New Year Carnival"....$40 bucks entry at the gate with a free and bigger fireworks display down at Elizabeth Quay, a program of basically country racing, people bitching on Radio about not being able to take in their picnic teas (understand that to some extent but a PR disaster looming).

Did shifting the Cup to November boost turnover? Who knows, they never release figures but the tradition of New Years Eve Pacing Cup, preceded by interest building heats or preludes producing a packed house is a concept that has been given a right royal rogering. 

The current generation of administrators (and participants I guess) would never have experienced Cup Night on New Years Eve, they wouldn't have a clue about what it was actually like.

Anyway, HNY to all, I am off to the races at Bunbury for $10 buck entry.

VillageKid, sonny, jum, LightningJake likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,687 posts
    Yes the $40 is absolutely bonkers, probably better off not having the meet at all if that's the price they feel they need to charge to make it viable-just going to leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

Definitely going to leaving anyone who turns up with an esky of their own food and drink with a sour taste in their mouth when told they aren't allowed to bring it in!

It was different back in the day when the quality of music (granted not everyone's cup of tea) warranted a higher entry fee charge.

VillageKid, sonny likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,270 posts
    Sad to say the least JJ.
    This corresponding meeting in 1985 had 2 x Pacing Cup Heats, the New Years Pace which had the first round of Pacing Cup heat winners (Village Kid, Governor Guinness & Nalaara Boy) racing against one another, the Christmas Gift Final, a 19/18 metro class race, a 21/20 metro class race and 2 x Qualifying Stakes races.
    It also had a crowd of about 20,000 or more as I was one of them and you could not move and it was on a Tuesday night, in which tonights card is reminiscent of!

Random idea maybe dish out a free family pass with every entry so you might get some of these people back again on a balmy Friday night.

VillageKid, LightningJake likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,867 posts
    Yes the entrance fee seems crazy 

Ive been watching a stack of gallops and Trots meetings because im on holidays 

Cant recall the meeting - it might come to me , but one of the racecallers pre race was promoting an upcoming semi significant meeting , and what pricked my ears was he said of course it is free entry , and i thought what a good idea that will guarntee a decent crowd 
    Ive just remembered it - it was Rod Fuller course commentator at the Tamworth Trots spruiking the upcoming 50k Gold Cup meeting - plus the time honoured 50k Golden Guitar final ( they do run heats for that , and they usually get some nice Qld horses in that as well ) 

And its the Golden Guitar because that coincides with their big annual music festival ( people come from all over Aust apparently ) and Rod said - of course it is free entry 

Gilgamesh, sonny, LightningJake likes this post.

• warrenrobinsonwarrenrobinson    57 posts
    Maybe the New Years eve meeting could be moved to Busselton, food vans, hot dogs great entertainment with a carnival atmosphere and you may even run into goldy locks. Very sad what's happened at GP.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,270 posts
    Race 1- Ponzi Beach
    Race 2- Crowd Control
    Race 3- Brickies Dream
    Race 4- Louie Lebeau
    Race 5- Beach Captain
    Race 6- Insta Gator
    Race 7- Ubeen Thundastruck
    Race 8- Chillin
    Race 9- Stereophonic

Gilgamesh, Chris, freodockers, sonny likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Shite night couple long shots
    Captains Cote should get nice run through
    Blue Blazer could be a lot of early speed over 2500 will be sitting back.
    Strike Master should land close enough for one last kick.
    Marbeechsam
    Chasing Cooper nice run last start
    I’m Spider-Man should get nice run through 3 back pegs one last split.
  • Chopchop43Chopchop43    145 posts

Marbeechsam

smell likes an agenda

Cant_Refuse likes this post.

???
  • sonnysonny    1,045 posts
    ??? Me to ...Chop
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    812 posts
    Big crowd on course, lovely night for it all the function rooms full. Goes against the agenda I guess

• Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    191 posts

Big crowd on course, lovely night for it all the function rooms full. Goes against the agenda I guess

Should probably move the NYE meeting down to Busselton.

Marbeechsam

smell likes an agenda
    Dumb and Dumber
  • warrenrobinsonwarrenrobinson    57 posts
    No agenda's just facts.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,593 posts
    edited December 2023
    Looked to be a decent gathering, no doubt, and that is good for the bottom line of the club but function rooms don't bet, and with all due respect, many posters who confuse pesky facts with  agendas wouldn't know a big crowd if they fell over one.

A big crowd was when the Ledger Stand was chockers, when the betting ring underneath was heaving, when the outside running rail was lined from the birdcage corner to the turn into the straight, 20 deep, and when the wasn't a square metre of lawn space unoccupied by punters, as opposed to a scattered gathering of picnic rugs and white Bunnings chairs.

Whilst the redevelopment plans remain unseen, and with all the current stands and function rooms along with the grass banks destined for the bulldozer, those that currently fill the function rooms and contribute little to turnover will be functionless moving forward.

I hope all who attended enjoyed the night. I hope even more that they return next week sans the fireworks and bouncy castle, that they keep betting and that the winner of race 4 or 5 is all they and the kids talk and read about next week as a future winner of next years Nullabor of Pacing Cup. 

The bottom line on the catering accounts for the club at the AGM, which showed a very modest profit, does nothing for an Industry that is operating at 40 cents return in the dollar and holds less than 12% of overall turnover. We wish that wasn't the case, but that ain't no agenda, them is the facts.
    What would be the agenda though fellas? To want a successful/thriving/profitable metro club??

Is that a bad agenda??

Stopped by on the way through and numbers were looking great early. Kids activation area could have used a bit of work (but thst is always the case).

Hopefully all the restaurant/various catering packages were full to the brim and the club had a fill up.

More importantly hopefully those people enjoyed themselves, book in a few times during the year, take an interest and have a bet during the year, maybe even buy a leg in a horse.

Have to say Basil's family friendly fireworks were a hit, city was absolutely heaving.

VillageKid likes this post.

• Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    191 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

What would be the agenda though fellas? To want a successful/thriving/profitable metro club??

Is that a bad agenda??

Stopped by on the way through and numbers were looking great early. Kids activation area could have used a bit of work (but thst is always the case).

Hopefully all the restaurant/various catering packages were full to the brim and the club had a fill up.

More importantly hopefully those people enjoyed themselves, book in a few times during the year, take an interest and have a bet during the year, maybe even buy a leg in a horse.

Have to say Basil's family friendly fireworks were a hit, city was absolutely heaving.

Jar Jar definitely doesn’t want a thriving metropolitan club.

Rocket_Reign likes this post.

The last 17 GP races we've had 15 leaders win and 2 from the breeze.

I'd say its pretty hard to be a thriving profitable club when the product you are selling is broken.

VillageKid, LightningJake, Betonme likes this post.

Gilgamesh said:

Is that a bad agenda??

We all see things differently.

To me all he wants is accountability from the arm of the industry thst is constly spruiked as the almighty Saviour but in reality is the biggest hole in the books.
    Gilgamesh said:

Gilgamesh said:

Is that a bad agenda??

To me all he wants is accountability from the arm of the industry thst is constly spruiked as the almighty Saviour but in reality is the biggest hole in the books.

It’s the biggest turnover harness track in Australia so doesn’t say much about the rest does it

Gilgamesh said:

Gilgamesh said:

Is that a bad agenda??

It’s the biggest turnover harness track in Australia so doesn’t say much about the rest does it
    Now that’s a very wide ranging statement Rocket.

LightningJake likes this post.

Gilgamesh said:

Gilgamesh said:

Is that a bad agenda??

It is “fact” as Warren would say

Gilgamesh said:

Gilgamesh said:

Is that a bad agenda??

Well if that is the fact , how about giving us some figures - what does it turnover on a normal Friday  night , what is the total turnover in $s - and who is 2nd 3rd and 4th in the Metro turnover betting

You must have a source saying it is the biggest Trots , Aust wide turnover , who is that , and id love to have some actual hard  numbers to back that up 

sonny, LightningJake likes this post.

Markovina said:

Gilgamesh said:

Gilgamesh said:

Is that a bad agenda??

Well if that is the fact , how about giving us some figures - what does it turnover on a normal Friday  night , what is the total turnover in $s - and who is 2nd 3rd and 4th in the Metro turnover betting

You must have a source saying it is the biggest Trots , Aust wide turnover , who is that , and id love to have some actual hard  numbers to back that up 

Give Cam Brown a call he’s very friendly and accomodating he will give you all the stats and figures you need

Gilgamesh said:

Gilgamesh said:

Is that a bad agenda??

There would be many contributing factors to take into consideration ie how many Races to achieve this “fact” vs other states. Total turnover for the individual states would also need to be considered.
    It’s like saying Busselton is the leading standing start track in Australia.
  • FrogFrog    15 posts
    Markovina said:

Gilgamesh said:

Gilgamesh said:

Is that a bad agenda??

From what I've been told, its true, only Melton when they have group 1 nights beats GP. Which is not many weeks a year. By the way QLD beats NSW that's how well there going.

Gilgamesh said:

Gilgamesh said:

Is that a bad agenda??

There would be many contributing factors to take into consideration ie how many Races to achieve this “fact” vs other states. Total turnover for the individual states would also need to be considered.
    It’s like saying Busselton is the leading standing start track in Australia.

Like I said give Cam a call he seems a good fella, no point believing what you read on here whichever side you choose to believe might as well get the real stats and figures
    I didnt have the chance to watch any of the Trotting last night

Just watched a few replays at various tracks - GP had a big crowd did it , that is a laughable , have a look at a few of the races at Albury last night , just a country town , they have their traditional New Years Eve meeting , Alburys crowd shiits all over GPs crowd and allways does with this meeting - pick any race you like , Race 6 will do , and you will see the proof in the pudding 

And back in the day in WA when it was properly run and people actually cared , around 2006-7 i reckon - this is pre Sky Channel coverage of country WA Trotting - that WA on new years eve theyd have 2 nightly WA Country Trotting meetings , Bunbury was your lock and they get a bumper crowd like Albury and Harvey might have been the other one , but they definitely use to run 2 WA Country Trotting meetings on New Years Eve 

warrenrobinson likes this post.