Who's Online

1 Members & 9 Non Members

Tabcorp pulls out

West Australian Racing

Tabcorp pulls the pin on its pursuit of $1b WA TAB deal

Looks like Pointsbet could do a Bradbury

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,593 posts
    According to this, the sale of the TAB was dead and buried. Was there an announcement after  August 2023 that the sale was back on the table? This transcript from when the WACHRA Submission on Country Harness was raised at estimates.

Transcript from Assembly Estimates,Parliament August 2023:

RACING AND WAGERING WA — HARNESS RACING REFORMS
    495. Mr P.J. RUNDLE to the Minister for Racing and Gaming:

I have a supplementary question. I appreciate the minister’s support for country harness and racing clubs.

The SPEAKER: And the question?
    Mr P.J. RUNDLE: Is the sale of TAB being looked at again?
    Mr R.R. WHITBY replied:
    No.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,687 posts
    With the additional taxes now being taken everywhere and the seeming shrinkage of the betting pool (and I think a lot of what Damien has mentioned in another thread where it is only going to get harder to gamble even with your own money) is it even a alightly appealing business??
  • JayJayJayJay    7,593 posts
    Yes Gil, that is true, much less attractive post the Covid sugar hit,  but, given that probably anything is always for sale if the price is right, has the new Minister Papalia backflipped on the previous Minister's unequivocal answer from August 2023 that the TAB would NOT be sold?

There has been no indication or contradiction from government that it is still actively hawking off the TAB....it was "taken off the table".

Gilgamesh, thefalcon likes this post.

• meatpiemeatpie    407 posts
    The press release says 'Take over Operations'.

Maybe not a sale but a management role, bit of a word salad but maybe the Minister not telling an untruth.
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    557 posts
    Cant be worth a billion, been for sale for 2-3 years.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,922 posts
    all this palaver about a cashless society is pure bunkum.
    would you like your bank to know your every spend?
    what about sales on ebay?
    what about school/church fetes?
    what about sunday markets?
    there are scores of activities that would be in peril..probably the main one being the drug trade.

Bushbookie likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,718 posts
    A little off track about the sale. But bad story on 7 news last night about the amount of dog deaths at the greyhounds here in WA over the last 5 months. and some organization screaming for it to be shutdown. Even the Cannington mayor was against it
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,687 posts
    thefalcon said:

there are scores of activities that would be in peril..probably the main one being the drug trade.

Falc it in the betting industry is not bunkum in the slightest. Do i want the bank and gov knowing how i spe d my money, 100% no. Will it happen, 100% yes

Do some research on the UK. Government have given jokes of organisations like bet365 the right to request your banking records before you can deposit FFS.

It is 100% coming.

detonator likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,352 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

thefalcon said:

Falc it in the betting industry is not bunkum in the slightest. Do i want the bank and gov knowing how i spe d my money, 100% no. Will it happen, 100% yes

Do some research on the UK. Government have given jokes of organisations like bet365 the right to request your banking records before you can deposit FFS.

It is 100% coming.

They got me.
  • bluespecbluespec    5 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

thefalcon said:

It is 100% coming.

Google can already tell you your age, weight, marital status, interests, kinks, earnings, and the last time you farted.

Google know more about you than what you do. They now target ads to women at a certain ‘time of the month’ based on the data they’ve harvested.

Point I’m trying to make is, fear what already exists… not what could be, and may never will be. Uk and Aus are very different places.
  • G-MacG-Mac    1,568 posts
    bluespec said:

Gilgamesh said:

thefalcon said:

It is 100% coming.

Google can already tell you your age, weight, marital status, interests, kinks, earnings, and the last time you farted.

Google know more about you than what you do. They now target ads to women at a certain ‘time of the month’ based on the data they’ve harvested.

Point I’m trying to make is, fear what already exists… not what could be, and may never will be. Uk and Aus are very different places.
    Spot on. "Privacy" is a myth.