G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 27 Non Members

Vale Sylvia Boylan

Harness & Greyhounds
I regret to advise that Sylvia died this morning following a severe fall in her care facility.

Sylvia was the first female bookmaker in WA and probably Australia in the late 1970s. Her then husband Ian Boylan held a trot license and wanted to move to the races so Sylvia took out a trot license so they could cover both codes. At that time a bookmaker was confined to working one racing code only. I was instrumental in getting the rules changed to allow dual licenses despite strong opposition from the elite racing bookmakers.

Ian and Sylvia were good at their trade and Ian was an excellent form analyst that was capable of working outside the square.

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,763 posts
    I recall Sylvia clerking or working the bag at one stage Chariots? Or am I imagining things. All part of that rich tapestry that made the GP's bookies ring so vibrant and so much fun.

Arapaho likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,857 posts
    R.I.P. Sylvia--- Friend of mine was connected to horse called Deer Hunter nz horse was with T.B. Warwick early eighties. It won the gift final over Kalgoorlie Round ---.Sylvia had 6k ready. and handed the money over to Mal after they reached the line, prior to all-clear ---,

One driver told Stewards they had done one extra lap, Correct weight was on hold, then declared no race on the old G.M.T C. track which was 649 metres.

Mal was standing waiting for trophy prestation,when announced no-race ,he said he thought Raelene Boyle was quick , he said gee that Sylvia got some pace, handing the money back -- I still call him Deer Hunter...
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,975 posts

Re the name Boylan does ring a bell but i cant place them in that GP Bookies ring 

Seeing it got a mention the GP Bookies ring , one person ( i might be wrong , because only relying on what someone told me at the time ) but was Mike Reed ( the trainer ) father , was he a copper - there was this bloke their every week ( not in uniform ) not the track side of the bookies ring , but up the back of the bookies ring where it connected to the grandstand . And this bloke ( i never saw him actually put any bets on ) but this bloke was allways in a happy smiling boisterous talkatative mood , was that Mike Reeds father 
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,883 posts
    JayJay said:

I recall Sylvia clerking or working the bag at one stage Chariots? Or am I imagining things. All part of that rich tapestry that made the GP's bookies ring so vibrant and so much fun.

When Sylvia gave up bookmaking she worked for me as a Clerk in the Interstate Ring at Ascot and Belmont and occasionally at GP.
    Deer Hunter....small world STG, I was at that round, about 1982 or 1983. Caused a big stir when the "extra lap" was announced. I have a feeling the race was rerun at a later meeting during the round but not 100%.

Tricky won everything that year, Bonnvale Boy was one of them. It seemed like he won a double or treble each night.

I remember thinking it took one of the drivers to remind the stewards an extra lap was run?? Maybe George James or Bob Pollock? Or maybe it was Ian and Sylvia. George was up there with Manjac.

savethegame likes this post.

edited June 20
    Marko that was Mike Reed's father and a big punter in the era. Had connections with the Kevin Keys stable at the time. He was a senior detective.

Ian and his brother Terry both worked country and GP around 70s and 80s.

Markovina likes this post.

Chariots, around 1975, Mick bought Mike his first horse. I was working at the Kurnall Road (Welshpool) stables of Jack Jones, he had a lot of young horses (Gleaming etc)  at the time including the 3 year old Dorman's Circle.

Mike was just starting out, I think he may have been working for Sweetman at the time. Joey (Dormans Circle) was rolling around pretty well as a 3 year old, pretty clear he was going to make it and Mick leased him with option to buy. He rocked up in the unmarked detectives car one afternoon  with young Mike to inspect the horse and away he went.

About two weeks later, he again rocked up in the squad car and exercised the purchase option, cash in a paper bag....I kid you not.

About 3 weeks later, the horse won first up at Williams. I think it was Mike's first winner, certainly the first one he trained. He proved to be a nice horse for jovial Mick and young Mike. Used to call a lot of people "Tiger". He certainly didn't mind a bet did Detective Mick.

Markovina likes this post.

edited June 20
    JayJay said:

Deer Hunter....small world STG, I was at that round, about 1982 or 1983. Caused a big stir when the "extra lap" was announced. I have a feeling the race was rerun at a later meeting during the round but not 100%.

Tricky won everything that year, Bonnvale Boy was one of them. It seemed like he won a double or treble each night.

I remember thinking it took one of the drivers to remind the stewards an extra lap was run?? Maybe George James or Bob Pollock? Or maybe it was Ian and Sylvia. George was up there with Manjac.
    Without  being  100% sure what incident  in regards to Don Harper not allowing  his son Lindsay to come off the track screaming you stay on the track. Just maybe it was that race especially if find out Don had one in that particular race.

Will check with Deer Hunter if he knows who brought up they had done extra lap.
    Remember another incident when Fred Hough who sat very quiet on them, had very successful career in the industry. This particular night he wouldn't have moved 1mm in a willy willy. From start to finish you could have been excused if you thought he had passed away in the bike.
    On night was given 12 months trying to remember if horse was called Wild Sapphire or similar.
    My father took a horse from Fred Hough after a friend who owned it became frustrated with Fred's manipulation of its form. The horse was Billy Collette and won his first three races for Dad the first after racing 3 wide throughout. He went through to fast class and ran 3rd in a Pacing Cup.

savethegame, JayJay likes this post.

Sylvia did have a sense of humour. At Tattersalls settling one Monday morning a country trot bookmaker was asked how he went at the Wagin meeting on Saturday night and his response was "I did my balls". Sylvia who had worked at the same meeting chipped in and said that she could not really say that but she could say "I was stitched up."

savethegame, JayJay likes this post.

Sylvia did have a sense of humour. At Tattersalls settling one Monday morning a country trot bookmaker was asked how he went at the Wagin meeting on Saturday night and his response was "I did my balls". Sylvia who had worked at the same meeting chipped in and said that she could not really say that but she could say "I was stitched up."

That's a Norman May. GOLD,GOLD GOLD
    Re Fred Hough , my only recollection of him and its a long time ago 

But was it the Battle of Bunbury was that a new concept around late 70s early 80s for young horses and seriously good prizemoney 

And did he have a really good/boom young horse in that event , that is what my memory saying , and in that same race/contest  FRK might have had a really good one as well , that race was run on a Sat night and i might have even attended it , it got good publicity that race 

And if you asked me what colour comes into my head re Fred Hough , id say Red ( re race colours ) thats what my memory is saying
    Fred Hough sure he lost top horse to FRK. that went on ran third in interdominion final Velvet Prince.
    edited June 21
    Just ran check third to guess who Marko. 78. Jay Jay put me right think Velvet Prince was tardy away frequently.
    Battle Of Bunbury never started until 1986 (Prince of Princes), Fred Hough"s colours red with a black band, Velvet Prince was tardy at the stand and was with F.Hough before Lloyd Hipper changed trainers to FRK. Tough old bugger, the 2900m mobile at the Valley probably suited him that night, he breezed and kept bashing away. Would stand corrected but I don't think he ever won a feature race, placed in a few.
    Got to read newspaper article re--- Deer Hunter race
    Junior Forman.G. Lilleyman
    Captains Lady L.Harper
    Ta Cavie. R.Young
    Scott Glen. J.Flynn
    Turf Patton. P.Bonser
    Blue Tongue. K Tyler
    Stephie P.Schrader
    Photon. G.Jones
    Deer Hunter. T. Warwick
    Taurus Durham G.Harper.
    Toliver Toby. M.Beech.

Committee and drivers met decided to divide prizemoney equally. The Trophy donor Mr.Piggott gave the New Spider to Mr Warwick.
    The heavily backed favourite Junior Forman galloped was tailed off. What was strange the race was 2010m. Getting warm in the kitchen regards Don Harper & Lindsay Harper. still got to check with Deer Hunter

T Warwick had eight winners for the three meetings. Probably the round that had everything.
    Brain Dawson got ten years for carrying jigger in Hannans Hcp.
    65 people charged with Playing two up. Perth Police worked on there own. Kalgoorlie police were Dumb founded, No knowledge of the raid.Newspaper article said local police we have to live in this town.

Every round they would try and destroy to justify there presence from perth.

In those days, the 65 would appear before the beak, offer a fictitious name, post bail ($20 or $30 bucks), remanded to appear at some future date and then not turn up, forfeiture of bail was considered a suitable penalty and no further action required.

Our family doctor was nailed at Il Trovatore one night, recorded as one of quite a few "Mr Jones" and after collection by "Mrs Jones" from the lock up, business as usual.

Fred Hough sure he lost top horse to FRK. that went on ran third in interdominion final Velvet Prince.

Fred's daughter Sheree was the strapper for Northerly.

savethegame likes this post.

Correct Fred was done with Northerly second Cox plate campaign he had history of refusing to go on the track It was Ross McDonald's son Clint a very good trainer nowadays took over riding him Oliver couldn't get him to go, even with lead pony, Clint McDonald saved the day Fred was that close to going home. .

Got to read newspaper article re--- Deer Hunter race
    Junior Forman.G. Lilleyman
    Captains Lady L.Harper
    Ta Cavie. R.Young
    Scott Glen. J.Flynn
    Turf Patton. P.Bonser
    Blue Tongue. K Tyler
    Stephie P.Schrader
    Photon. G.Jones
    Deer Hunter. T. Warwick
    Taurus Durham G.Harper.
    Toliver Toby. M.Beech.

Committee and drivers met decided to divide prizemoney equally. The Trophy donor Mr.Piggott gave the New Spider to Mr Warwick.
    The heavily backed favourite Junior Forman galloped was tailed off. What was strange the race was 2010m. Getting warm in the kitchen regards Don Harper & Lindsay Harper. still got to check with Deer Hunter

T Warwick had eight winners for the three meetings. Probably the round that had everything.
    Brain Dawson got ten years for carrying jigger in Hannans Hcp.
    65 people charged with Playing two up. Perth Police worked on there own. Kalgoorlie police were Dumb founded, No knowledge of the raid.Newspaper article said local police we have to live in this town.

Every round they would try and destroy to justify there presence from perth.

Your comment their , local police  " We have to live in this town "

25 plus years ago i had a Brother In Law for a while their , he was police officer in uniform at a small country town  2-3k population , the same country town my mother lived in , and she treated  him like another son and was quite devasted when that marriage folded . Basically nearly every day hed park the divy van in my mothers driveway with another youngish copper at 3 in the afternoon and have coffee and cake and a yak for 10 minutes with my mother 

When the marriage folded  , one of the shopkeepers or publicans said to my mother ( because she told me ) , " gee youd be rapt to see the end of that barrstard " 

Thats what a police officer is up against ( and he did give them a bit of leeway ) if you live and are based in a country town and simply do your job properly , you are despised by the locals