G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 29 Non Members

Apprentice claim

West Australian Racing
The winner of last race today had been ridden by Kershaw Dhuran but he has just become a senior jockey,so with Maddie Derrick still claiming 1.5 was landed with the ride,nothing against Maddie Derrick or trainer but its pretty cruel when this happens but 1.5 is 1.5 but this happens when they come out of there apprenticeship.but there are some loyal ones out there who still retain them as there riders.

Comments

• FlandersFlanders    1,232 posts
    GLAMOUR said:

The winner of last race today had been ridden by Kershaw Dhuran but he has just become a senior jockey,so with Maddie Derrick still claiming 1.5 was landed with the ride,nothing against Maddie Derrick or trainer but its pretty cruel when this happens but 1.5 is 1.5 but this happens when they come out of there apprenticeship.but there are some loyal ones out there who still retain them as there riders.

I would rather put a senior jock on over an apprentice with a 1.5kg claim most of the time
  • psychopsycho    665 posts
    GLAMOUR said:

It's the racing business and going on forever, the best "user" of claiming apprentices IMO is Jimmy Taylor, he uses the most current best apprentice and as soon as they lose their claim he's on to the next apprentice. I don't know Jim or have stats on how many times he uses these apprentices but he gives them rides as he sees fit. The way I look at it with Jim is he gives apprentices rides on horses and this can only improve their riding skills as well as giving his owners the best chance of a return. Is it cruel ? I reckon Kesh would agree with you and so do I in a way
  • spinkingspinking    3,804 posts
    Cruel as it is . The trainer’s obligation is to the owner and if he believes the best opportunity for a horse to win is claiming whatever be it 1.5 or 3kg is in the best interest of the horse winning so be it .

JimmyPop likes this post.

• ManchildManchild    740 posts
    Kids have a claim for a reason, horses that race on the pace or are front runners are a dream for kids . Horses that race midfield or worse are not going to get the benefit of a claim.

JimmyPop likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,250 posts
    According to the racing calendar he is indentured till 31/07/2024......must have got early release. 
  • spinkingspinking    3,804 posts
    Did he outride his claim?
  • VoodooVoodoo    1,250 posts
    Still had 1.5 in the city.....no winners since he claimed on 26th....so dont think so spin....
  • GLAMOURGLAMOUR    694 posts
    6 rides today no claim.
  • FlandersFlanders    1,232 posts
    GLAMOUR said:

6 rides today no claim.

City claim is different to the provincial and country claim
  • GLAMOURGLAMOUR    694 posts
    Flanders said:

GLAMOUR said:

6 rides today no claim.

City claim is different to the provincial and country claim
    Spot on,forgot.about that.