In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 3 Non Members

Ascot B/Stocks High Chaparral colt

Breeding
RazorSharpRazorSharp    439 posts
edited November -1 Breeding
Trying to work out the details with this cracking looking colt,

Is he bred to Northern Hemisphere time? If so then I cant see the +'s of getting into 2 y/o that is 6 months behind the locals, also I see $8,000 a share, how many shares is in the colt. It will be a long wait as he wont be at a competitive age till he is late 3.
If he is bred to Southern Hemisphere time he looks a great investment, but think I read where he was bought in the UK, a huge head start he is giving

But he is a smashing looker 8)

Comments

• scullywagscullywag    60 posts
    He was foaled Jan 2009 so that woul make him 8 months ahead of ours.
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    No, 5 months behind the Aug 08 foals.
    Is only 2 months later than the Nov foals and I wouldn't expect it to be a 2yo runner anyway.
    Wouldnt be too far behind the rest come Derby time :wink:
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Valid points, yes he is a little behind but wont be a 2yo runner in any case I wouldnt think.
    Will be interesting to see what the High Chap's go for at Karaka early next year. think you'll find it makes this one look pretty good value.
  • If I win the $31million Lotto they will go for a lot higher too :P
  • RazorSharpRazorSharp    439 posts
    how many shares?
    20 shares but most likely only 12 to 14 owners in total.
  • At that price he is a cheap horse, a very good looker, only downside is being bred to UK time, but as we have seen the Syndicate are very patient with some of it previous yearling buys, but its still an even longer wait with UK breds. Too long a wait IMO, so he is officially already 2 but really is only a weanling, is that correct?
    yearling but classified as a 2yo. The northern hemisphere breds turn older on the 1st of Jan as opposed to August the previous year. So they are 5 months behind in effect.
  • 5 months depending on when he was actually foaled, but I will say this, on picture he is one hell of a looker
    assuming the pedigree table is correct, was foaled 1st Jan 2009....makes it physically 2 years old tomorrow night, but in Aussie terms, classified as almost 2 1/2 years old already.

http://www.ascotbloodstock.com.au/reports/High Chap Danes Lady ped.pdf
  • jesteressjesteress    102 posts
    HC what a CLASSIC, just follow the preps of so you think whatever it is behind
  • High Chaparral continues dominance

Top sire High Chaparral claimed his first stakes winner from his second southern hemisphere crop when lightly-raced Hidden Asset was successful in the Group 2 Classic Hits Championship Stakes at Ellerslie on New Year?s Day.
    Hidden Asset (3g High Chaparral - Fragile Asset by Zabeel) will be set for the Group 1 New Zealand Derby on March 5.
    High Chaparral has a huge lead in the Australian sires? premiership this season thanks to the Group 1 exploits of his first crop stars So You Think, Descarado, Shoot Out and Monaco Consul.
    Hidden Asset is the seventh winner for his dam Fragile Asset who was a Group 3 winner of the Gold Trail Stakes at Hastings.
    Trainer Shaune Ritchie paid $50,000 for him at the 2009 NZ Bloodstock Premier Yearling Sale which isn?t surprising considering Fragile Asset is a half-sister to Bonecrusher. Ritchie?s father Frank prepared Bonecrusher to nine Group 1 victories headed by the epic duel with Our Waverley Star in the 1986 Cox Plate.
    ?I?ve been looking for yearlings with a connection to Bonecrusher and all his natural attributes for the last 20 years and I haven?t found one remotely like him,? Ritchie said. ?This one isn?t either, but he?s a real Zabeel style of horse with a lot of potential.
    ?My grandfather Merv always used to say that if a horse shows promise and has got a pedigree, nine times out of 10 he?ll deliver for you.?
    High Chaparral has returned to Ireland after covering 218 mares in his first book at Coolmore Australia.
    Just an update from the NZ sales.

the High Chap colts are selling for big numbers ($600k, $240k, $200k and $350k). Average so far $347,500.

Some of the fillies through so far have sold for very modest figures ($50k and $60k), barring one, lot 113 which sold for $280k.
  • NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    Interesting to note the Ascot Bloodstock colt sold at the Tattersall's Book 3 Sale in October 2010 for 30,000 guineas, which is about AUD$50,000.

http://db.tattersalls.com/4DCGI/Sale/OC3 10

A High Chaparral filly (High Chaparral (IRE) / Athboy Nights (IRE)) sold at the same sale for 10,000 guineas, about AUD$16,700.

Another High Chapparal colt (High Chaparral (IRE) / Mille Miglia) sold at the Book 2 Sale for 16,000 guineas - about AUD$27,000.

There were also some cheap Shamardals.

With the number of shuttle stallions and the high AUD, expect to see more yearlings bought in the UK and syndicated here.
    said:

assuming the pedigree table is correct, was foaled 1st Jan 2009....makes it physically 2 years old tomorrow night, but in Aussie terms, classified as almost 2 1/2 years old already.

Assuming the pedigree table is correct.

The Tattersall's pedigree table when the colt was sold in the UK shows a foaling date of 24 April 2009.

Click on lot number 1762 in the link below to get the Tattersall's pedigree table.

The UK General Stud Book, maintained by Weatherby's, shows a foaling date of 20 April 2009. The mare's progeny listing is as follows:

GSB REGISTERED MARE'S PROGENY LISTING - DANE'S LADY (IRE) Conditions of Entry to the General Stud Book

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DANE'S LADY (IRE) (Foaled 10/05/1996)
    bay mare by Danehill (USA), out of Lady Ellen by Horage. (see Vol 43, page 1257)
    bred by Mrs C. Harrington

2003 (April 6) ch f CHARLEY'S AUNT (IRE) by King Charlemagne (USA) (see Vol 45, page 1796)
    bred by J. & J. Brannigan

2004 No Return to Barathea (IRE)

2005 Barren to Statue of Liberty (USA)

2006 (March 8) ch f LADY AOY (IRE) by Indian Haven (GB) (see Vol 46, page 1133)

2007 (March 10) br c BLACK COOL CAT (IRE) by One Cool Cat (USA) (exported to Germany) (see Vol 46, page 1133)

2008 (March 22) br c EL NICA (IRE) by Footstepsinthesand (GB) (exported to Germany) (see Vol 46, page 1133)

2009 (April 20) b c by High Chaparral (IRE) (foaled in Ireland) (exported to Australia) (to be published in Volume 47)

2010 No Return to Captain Marvelous (IRE)

2011 No Return to Captain Marvelous (IRE)

If the colt was foaled on 20 or 24 April, it will be 6-8 months behind its Australian bred counterparts.

So I can't see it running in a derby.

Will be at least 4 before it catches up.
    you are correct Ngawyni. Might just see if he can win a race before we talk about running in derbies! :wink:
    At a syndicated value of $160,000 inc GST I would be looking for more than one race win Diva.

Weatherby?s have now confirmed the foaling date as 20 April 2009 and said this date will be clearly stated in the horse's passport.

It's unfortunate that Ascot Bloodstock put 1 January 2009 as the foaling date on the pedigree chart on its website, when the age of this colt is such an issue. I hope they gave the right date somewhere else.
    thanks for your advice ngawini, the pedigree sheet was not "created" by ascot bloodstock, it was taken from the sale website.
    The people who have bought in are fully aware that the horse was imported and starts out at least 5 months behind the local horses.

people who talk about winning derbies when buying yearlings are getting a little ahead of themselves. Getting to the track and winning a race should be the first goal.
    I have no idea how or where the error occurred Diva.

But like I said:

The Tattersall's pedigree table when the colt was sold in the UK showed a foaling date of 24 April 2009.

Click on lot number 1762 in the link below to get the Tattersall's pedigree table.

Diva

Are you connected to Ascot Bloodstock?

I assume so because you appear to know a bit about it.

If so, you may want to get them to change the foaling date shown on their website. The pedigree chart is still showing a foaling date of 1 January 2009, despite my raising the error here a week ago.

They have updated the web page for other purposes since then (by adding a video of the colt walking and to point out that there is now only 1 share left) but the wrong foaling date is still there.

There's a big difference between being 2 to 5 months behind (which it would be if the horse had been foaled on 1 January 2009) and being 5 to 8 months behind (i.e. the High Chaparral colt foaled on 20 April 2009 will be 5 to 8 months behind horses foaled in August to November 2008).

You say the people who have bought in are fully aware that the horse starts out at least 5 months behind the local horses, but they wouldn't have got that from the Ascot Bloodstock website.

The earlier discussion in this thread shows how people can come to the wrong conclusions based on the foaling date taken from the website (only 2 months behind, will catch up by Derby time etc). Not much chance of catching up before its 4 IMO.
    thanks for your concern Ngawyni. all fixed!

http://ascotbloodstock.com.au/reports/high chap pedigree.pdf
    edited February 2011
    Well done Diva.
  • RazorSharpRazorSharp    439 posts
    said:

Interesting to note the Ascot Bloodstock colt sold at the Tattersall's Book 3 Sale in October 2010 for 30,000 guineas, which is about AUD$50,000.

A High Chaparral filly (High Chaparral (IRE) / Athboy Nights (IRE)) sold at the same sale for 10,000 guineas, about AUD$16,700.

Another High Chapparal colt (High Chaparral (IRE) / Mille Miglia) sold at the Book 2 Sale for 16,000 guineas - about AUD$27,000.

There were also some cheap Shamardals.

With the number of shuttle stallions and the high AUD, expect to see more yearlings bought in the UK and syndicated here.

whats the cost to fly them here, I know it depends on how many are on the flight, its not cheap,
    so it cost $50,000 + expenses =?
    syndicated for $160,000 hmmmm,
    and its not foaled on Jan 1st as quoted,

If your in it your in for a long wait thats for sure, thought I read where Ascot Bloodtstock were shying away from horses that need a bit of time. Was reported that was one of the reasons the Pope association never worked out :?