G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 26 Non Members

Sponsorship from Corporate Bookmakers

West Australian Racing
ThumperThumper    820 posts
edited February 2013 West Australian Racing
Does anybody know why Perth Racing does not accept sponsorship from Corporate Bookmakers. Like it or not they are entrenched in Australian racing culture now so shouldn't WA be embracing them and getting as much as we can out of them. As far as I know we are the only state that has resisted. I'm sure PR could do with the extra dollars.

Comments

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    edited February 2013
    Thumper - this lack of initiative in WA racing is due to our 'head in the sand' mentality.
    Owners have corporate accounts
    Trainers have corporate accounts
    Jockeys have corporate accounts
    Breeders have corporate accounts

The list goes on...

and yet Racing in Perth who could do with the extra funds won't. It would be for the better good of the local racing industry.

Yet RWWA have engaged Centrebet to manage our fixed odds service, Player.

The mind boggles at the stupidity!

Remember they even tried to have Betfair banned here in WA!
  • joneseejonesee    715 posts
    edited February 2013
    What amuses me is when pr.com post stories that they dont read first - and these stories highlight the names of corporates or big bets taken by corporates... As with the cutaway rail and many many other things in racing we will start to embrace ( bookie ) corporate sponsorship 6 to 8 years after the rest of Australia.
  • SPUDLEYSPUDLEY    1,584 posts
    Generational change required from the top down let's have a turf club chairman who is about 50 not someone who is only there to feather his retirement fund
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    spud, i think it is an honorary position.
    as somebody suggested, terms on the committee should be 8 years providing a rotary of new blood.
    of course that would mean a complete overhaul of the consitution.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I'd guess it has something to do with licensing of venues and some absurd agreement..or maybe it is a bit like healthway/quit, when they give sponsorship money it is conditional on have the majority of the event/facility smoke free..

Have you asked them directly why they don't Thumper??? Maybe it falls into the Nicko's, Hollands, race book scenarios..that is how it is always been done...
  • velcrocandyvelcrocandy    204 posts
    Because rwwa run perth racing, rwwa runs the tab, govt monopoly on wagering exists they hate the corporates. Yet rwwa loved paying rebates to high turnover operators in the parimutuel pools. Hypocrisy abounds.......
  • licklick    305 posts
    But would it not be like the Commonwealth Bank being sponsored by the Bank Robbers Training Academy ?

Carlosa likes this post.

• ThumperThumper    820 posts
    Rio - No have not asked them. I am not a member and even if I was I reckon I would be better off asking a brick wall. Don't you have a meeting with them coming up soon. Perhaps you could ask them.

Lick - certainly not. Corporate Bookmakers are legal and contribute to the industry via taxes. The fact that that they pay a much smaller turnover tax than the TAB is why short minded people claim they are the enemy rather than embracing them. I like almost every punter I know use corporates exclusively because they offer a superior product to the tab. If I was forced to use the tab my turnover would plummet and my contribution via taxes would largely be unchanged.

Hence if you can't beat them (and the tab can't) then join them and milk them for as much as possible.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Thumper said:

Rio - No have not asked them. I am not a member and even if I was I reckon I would be better off asking a brick wall. Don't you have a meeting with them coming up soon. Perhaps you could ask them.

Lick - certainly not. Corporate Bookmakers are legal and contribute to the industry via taxes. The fact that that they pay a much smaller turnover tax than the TAB is why short minded people claim they are the enemy rather than embracing them. I like almost every punter I know use corporates exclusively because they offer a superior product to the tab. If I was forced to use the tab my turnover would plummet and my contribution via taxes would largely be unchanged.

Hence if you can't beat them (and the tab can't) then join them and milk them for as much as possible.

it may get mentioned in amongst other questions if i get a chance at the meeting coming up...but if not then, might mention it as a stand alone question
    edited February 2013
    Thumper you make good points and the tab hypocricy in giving kick backs to the corporates who bet with them is staggering.

But your comment --

--- I think the tabs DO beat them in many areas and if they tried and had nous at all could beat them in a hell of a lot more areas. Unfortunately for punters and for the racing codes as well they do not even try.
    Jonesee what do you think the tab does better? The only advantages that I can think of are there are no restrictions on the amounts you bet into tote pools and there are no limits to payouts in exoctics.
  • CarlosaCarlosa    1,287 posts
    Thumper said:

Jonesee what do you think the tab does better? The only advantages that I can think of are there are no restrictions on the amounts you bet into tote pools and there are no limits to payouts in exoctics.

You're allowed to win with the TAB. I reckon that's better.
    I know plenty of successful punters still betting and winning with corporates over long periods of time and I'm talking years. It's all about how you manage your accounts and place your bets. I remember a thread about how to avoid getting banned by corporates, you might want to read it.
  • CarlosaCarlosa    1,287 posts
    I'll be fine thanks.
    Thumper said:

I know plenty of successful punters still betting and winning with corporates over long periods of time and I'm talking years. It's all about how you manage your accounts and place your bets. I remember a thread about how to avoid getting banned by corporates, you might want to read it.

If you have not been banned by the corporates then for sure you should limit your punting severely. Of that I am sure.

Of course I have been banned by some but I am still getting bets on with others so I must be doing something right.

Anway this thread changed course pretty quickly. They may ban punters but they will always be here. We should be milking them. Somebody remind me the last time prizemoney went up in WA.
    Was not trying to hijack the thread thumper, I just get frustrated with how pathetic the tab is given the woeful competition--- the original point is too bloody true to argue with.