Who's Online

• matt   12 seconds ago
1 Members & 27 Non Members

Saint Bro put down

West Australian Racing
ChrisChris    5,218 posts

Saint Bro put down

Jun 24, 2014

imageLeading WA trainer Simon Miller has had to part ways with his talented galloper Saint Bro, after an x-ray found an abscess on his spleen which left Miller no choice but to put the gelding down.

Finishing fourth in his last start on May 24, Saint Bro was enjoying a spell in the paddock when Miller noticed that his temperature was elevated.

Saint Bro responded well to the antibiotics and appeared to be returning to full health, however once off the antibiotics his temperature rose quickly again.

Miller acted swiftly and sent his galloper for an x-ray which revealed that the gelding by Flying Pegasus had an inoperable abscess on his spleen.

The stable was forced to put the talented gelding down which is a massive loss for Western Australia racing.

Saint Bro was spruiked as the next big thing for Perth Racing after winning the Fairetha Stakes and placing in the WA Guineas after jumping from barrier 15.

After that amazing performance in the Guineas, Miller sent Saint Bro to the paddock and he returned for his second campaign on April 12.

However, Saint Bro didn’t show that same form he displayed in 2013 in any of his four starts this campaign.  

"It accounts for his performances this prep” trainer Simon Miller said when discussing his galloper.

The loss of the impressive three-year-old is sad for Racing in Perth, Simon Miller and all of the connections involved.

Comments

• ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    Article from PR.com

Never good to see a promising one cut short
  • MobileLinkMobileLink    398 posts
    That's terrible a very promising horse. Tough luck for connections
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    "Miller acted swiftly and sent his galloper for an x-ray which revealed that the gelding by Flying Pegasus had an inoperable abscess on his spleen."

Sorry but that's a total load of crap. HTF can you diagnose "an inoperable abscess on his spleen" from an X-ray? Seriously? Either veterinary standards or journalistic standards in WA are quite low. After the comments I've read on this site, I'm pretty sure I know which one it is.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited June 2014
    I'll guess that the vets are pretty good in WA. Our copy boys are the equivalent of ....nah, not even worth insulting

What a loss for all connected with this horse. Another Flying Peg lost too soon.
  • ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    edited June 2014
    Rodent said:

"Miller acted swiftly and sent his galloper for an x-ray which revealed that the gelding by Flying Pegasus had an inoperable abscess on his spleen."

Sorry but that's a total load of crap. HTF can you diagnose "an inoperable abscess on his spleen" from an X-ray? Seriously? Either veterinary standards or journalistic standards in WA are quite low. After the comments I've read on this site, I'm pretty sure I know which one it is.
    Actually not correct, there's a special kind of X-ray that they have at one of our Universities here in WA. Miller spoke about it this morning on Racing Radio.
  • RadmanRadman    1,992 posts
    Mrs Radman works at the Murdoch vets (while I sit home watching the races), I'll ask her when she gets home.
    So what's "not correct" Chris? I didn't see "a special kind of x-ray" mentioned in the story. There are lots of imaging technologies available. I just can't see how using "x-rays" one could conclude there was an inoperable abscess on the spleen.
     I'll be interested to learn what the "special kind of x-ray" is. I bet it even has a name. I bet that name is not "x-rays".

Piston_Broke, Dale, Tucool likes this post.

• joffajoffa    122 posts
    sounds suspicious i have done numerous years in horse veterinary field and never heard of it. :-?
    may be like every stallion that doesnt performat stud suddenly gets bitten by a snake,pesky snakes. 8-}
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    Radiography, Ultrasound, Tomography, Fluoroscopy, X-Ray, CT Scan etc etc ........

:-?   When is a wheel not a wheel - but a rim and a tyre?  #-o

lame, motivated likes this post.

good call.leg legless.

RIO likes this post.

An abscess is an infection. Any lay person knows that. I was interested in the story and would like to have some accurate information on the demise of Saint Bro.
     Inoperable? Maybe they could have given him a GA, opened him up and then said.....holy crap, no good>>>euth whilst he is still under GA. No added trauma to the horse. 
     Maybe after opening him up, they could have fixed the problem....who knows?
     Maybe the diagnostic technique used made it beyond doubt the horse had no hope??? I'm just saying that's drawing a long bow if "x-rays" led to that belief.
     Legless has a point but surely it's lazy journalism to use x-rays as a description of ultrasound or CT scans. Talk about dumbing it down...

RIO, Tucool likes this post.

• LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    Fair call. I didnt hear the interview - maybe the journo's are actually quoting :-?
  • TucoolTucool    156 posts
    Jeez I would be pi**ed of with quoting like that..... but than again suddenly Simon took a temp, please really.
    Obviously I can't make judgements on this case as we don't have the facts, we are just fed crap. Generally speaking though, is it possible that many of the euthanasias in racing get reported with such words as "inoperable" when it fact the truth is less palatable to the public? 
     I put down plenty of animals that could have been saved. Unfortunately, economics plays a part.
     Hypothetically, what if a splenectomy could save the life of Saint Bro? Of course, that would be the end of his racing career. Would you pay the big bucks for the surgery and nurse him back to health and then find a paddock for him so you could continue to spend $ on him until a ripe old age? Or, would you put him down and save yourself many thousands of $.
     Of course, if you chose the latter, I'm sure you wouldn't want a journo to write, putting him down was cheaper than surgery!
     I stress this is hypothetical but does show a dilemma. I don't think I have ever read a strictly "truthful" account of a horse being put down for economic reasons. Whenever this is the case, it is reported in such a way as to let the public think it was the kindest thing or was unavoidable.

thefalcon likes this post.