G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 31 Non Members

MORE WA JOCKEYS AND TRAINERS DURING 1950S-1970S

West Australian Racing

Comments

• SPUDLEYSPUDLEY    1,584 posts
    Young apprentice jockeys who become successful really have the world at their feet they want for nothing they have the money,women,cars, fame and all the trappings that go with their success , stuff we the average joe's can only dream about then they finish their apprenticeships they have options like either pick up the world from their feet and embrace it and have successful careers as senior jockeys as best they can and live a comfortable life after investing their earnings correctly or they decide to kick the world away and get involved with the shady side of horse racing and let the shady characters bring them down to their level getting involved with drugs,excess alcohol, race rigging, jacking up horses and more.

It does happen as I have seen the downfall of a former star apprentice first hand.

Piston_Broke, SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

• everreadyeverready    282 posts
    Jeffrey bennier perfect example many moons ago !
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    I knew Jeff, his parents and his brothers very, very well....they lived right next door to the Orange Grove Training track and Dad (Graeme) spent time at our stables prior to him becoming a stipe. It is a tragedy what happened even with the very best guidance in the world. Haven't seen him for decades and can only hope he is okay. He was a great kid. Some of the parasitic scum that feed off these kids have a long "honour roll" of victims....and the racing press and society in general glamorize these turds with generous sobriquets like "colourful racing identy". I know plenty of colurful racing identities who are pretty harmless....jolly, humerous and for the most part harmless...and then there are these other colourful "types" who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a racecourse...or other humans for that matter.
    JayJay said:

I knew Jeff, his parents and his brothers very, very well....they lived right next door to the Orange Grove Training track and Dad (Graeme) spent time at our stables prior to him becoming a stipe. It is a tragedy what happened even with the very best guidance in the world. Haven't seen him for decades and can only hope he is okay. He was a great kid. Some of the parasitic scum that feed off these kids have a long "honour roll" of victims....and the racing press and society in general glamorize these turds with generous sobriquets like "colourful racing identy". I know plenty of colurful racing identities who are pretty harmless....jolly, humerous and for the most part harmless...and then there are these other colourful "types" who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a racecourse...or other humans for that matter.

He was a very good rider from a very desent family u are right lead astry by average people who dropped him like a hot potato when things turned to s*** !!
  • ColourfulRDColourfulRD    480 posts
    only one person to blame
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Remember seeing Shane Newling and Tim Stubberfield in the old Apprentices Cup race when run on a Saturday over about 2400 metres. Was a great traditional race and I'm sure Newling won it at least one year and maybe Stubberfield too. They were 2 hoops I followed a bit. Recall Newling especially having a phenomenal run their for a while. Think he might have finished riding up north due to the higher weight scale ? Was always a competive hard fought race over the distance the Apprentices Cup good sized field and sometimes run on a slow/heavy track in wintry conditions in July. Was one of my favourite races on the calendar.
    they even use to fly over the leading apprentices from the East
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    A bit later than the 70's , but there was a rush of female apprentice, think 2 of the more prominent were Lisa Harris & Lind Martin, what ever happened to them. Paula Wagg, Marilyn Fagan & Irene Pateman jumped from Powder Puff derby's to fully fledged Jockeys back in that era, would have been a massive jump

Desperado likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    misty bazeley (nee parsons) made the transmission pretty well.

ColourfulRD likes this post.

A bit later than the 70's , but there was a rush of female apprentice, think 2 of the more prominent were Lisa Harris & Lind Martin, what ever happened to them. Paula Wagg, Marilyn Fagan & Irene Pateman jumped from Powder Puff derby's to fully fledged Jockeys back in that era, would have been a massive jump

out of the 3 I thought Marilyn Fagan was the better. Paula and Irene were never very successful except for their Asian sojourn which was very successful. Misty is a hard worker.
  • VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts

I think Lisa Harris is a successful trainer in South Africa....remember seeing an interview and although older I believe it was the same person who was riding here.Used to be apprenticed to Paul Jordan I think.....

cheers
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    edited July 2015
    Linda Martin worked in New Zealand for a number of years after leaving WA. I believe that she is back in Victoria now.

Linda did pretty well as an apprentice, rode many winners in the Great Southern especially. Was apprenticed to Len Morton, then with Paul Jordan I think. Like many of the female jockeys though, when the claim went, the rides dried up a fair bit.

Also won an Apprentices Cup on Burning Pago.

thefalcon, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Pretty sure lisa Harris was apprentice to Allan taylor or some one down larkhill way may have even done some off apprenticeship with Kay Miller when she was holding hands with Groover
    holding hands with Groover ;) was it Groover or Ray that got shot?
    Cant remember I remember a bit of the story now u mention some hunting trip went wrong APARRENTLY ?,
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    GROOVER don't know what they were hunting at the farm at baldivis
    something to do with cats and ferrets
  • Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    2,047 posts
    Rowley Ransome passed away just a few weeks ago
  • tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    bill Ransom dad ??
    Sure was tofarken
  • TucoolTucool    156 posts
    got to be long lived.
  • tofarkennardtofarkennard    177 posts
    spinking said:

Sure was tofarken

cheers mate any idea wat happened to bill Ransom i remember when he retired wasn't that old /heavy
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited July 2017
    Was only a little tacker at the time but recall a punter telling my old man - you can always back Bill Ransome he tries on every horse he rides. Now to somebody just starting out in the punting game thought that info was just gold.

How true it was didn't matter...I had privileged information!
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts

piston will agree, in those days the apprentice lived with his host trainer..sometimes in the hay loft.

got about 10/- a week pocket money, had to be home on sat. night by 11pm..just after the "flicks" finished....oh so different now.

got out of their time with a fist full of quids/dollars, no financial guidance, a flash yank car, a big titted blowsy blonde, scumbags hanging off him...a road to no where.

can name a few that piston would know...MD, RS, MR etc etc

Desperado likes this post.

Not quite sure what Billie ransom does now Tofarken last I knew he was picking wildflowers. Falc the hay loft bit exaggerated but there where some dodgy boys rooms that's for sure, know who the Rs is I think but the other two got me stuffed. Talking about blasts from the past if on Facebook have a gander at the madman himself Raymond Miller at Pinjarra last week if nothing else Raymond is still providing a laugh

tofarkennard likes this post.

• frannydeefrannydee    3 posts
    my grandparents were Colin and Thea France who were pretty big trainers during that time. First up with Royal Thrust in 1962 winning the Railway Stakes. Their best by far was AllLegal who won 21 in town and a feature race in Adelaide. Others included Bonka, Red Hunter Prince Aprosan -by Asteroid by unknown station mare who had a club foot barely over 14h started more than 30 times in a year who won horse of the year mainly by coming 2nd or 3rd with a few firsts,, Aptobe ,Nugget Again, Godalgo who won 8 in a row, Jurrossic, Comet King Count Apt who won a number of country cups, De Guallio? Bon Rosa a tiny chestnut mare only 14h who won a big town race, Grey Towers and Legal Honey who had a huge stride! they finished up with GreenBottle as the last horse standing.
    the "boys" working for them (and living with them) were David Rudland, Lindsay Smith, John Mcnair, Allen Lilley with stable characters Pat and Dalles Ingram.
    My brother and I have a treasure trove of memories from those days if anyone ever wants to have a chat

jum likes this post.

I  remember a good horse called Kilcarnup  by Unidentified Sire from Unidentified Dam
    Bonka went horse of the year once,  beat a horse my Pop had Lipton

• Hi all...
    Really enjoying reading these blasts from the pasts...
    Would anyone remember a horse called 'Widows Boy'...
    Perth in the 1950s.... to trainer P J Hyde....
    Any information would love to hear.... 
    Kind regards
    Strange first post Sooty. Welcome aboard the PTT ship