G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 25 Non Members

WA Champions-historical records

West Australian Racing
Hi everyone,

I am doing some research on some of our champion horses of the past but seems there is limited research available, just bits and pieces here and there. Does anyone know of a great database, book or website where I might be able to access this?

In particular, if anyone has any information on the following horses, please let me know.
1) Fair Sir
2) Asian Beau
3) Fimiston

Please PM me if you have any books I would be able to read.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    @PC is your man to assist I reckon
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    edited August 2016
    It is a shame when they updated the RWWA racing site, that the old site was not retained for past history, no where I know now where you can really go back and research horses prior to the mid eighties properly

Rex likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    fimistons owner is at the races every week....bruno tognini...he might introduce you to his daughter, gemma... :-\"
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    How can I be of assistance?
  • Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    2,047 posts
    Fair Sir By Sir Tristram owned by Laurie Conell Trained By Buster O'Malley
    Asian Beau by Bear Sovereign, Owned by W.J Williams (also owned by Fait Accompli) Trained by Bert Harrison, later sold to Yossie Goldberg and changed trainer to George Way who then stuffed the horse. (still the best sprinter WA has produced IMO)
    Finiston by Gold Brick, Owned by Bruno Tognini and a couple of mates, Trained by Alaln Hawke, wasnt a whisker between him and Placid Ark IMO, probably the best sprinter never to go East

edited August 2016

Tucool, Blast07 likes this post.

Fair Sir

jpg
    jpg
    13995429_564841220385205_7419747173669303435_o.jpg

Tucool, Blast07 likes this post.

edited August 2016
  • Blast07Blast07    7 posts
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I wish we had something like this for WA:

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Think Fimiston had an outstanding first up record too. He was one of the best 'fresh' horses going around.
  • JordanJordan    1,827 posts
    Wow big call piston miss Andretti and scenic blast went ok
    edited August 2016
    Piston did say the best to Never go east. Above 2 went east.
    Heroicity, Detonator, Medicine Kid or Belele. On achievements alone, which one of these four would take top honours?
    Good question Blast...always hard to compare..difficult to buy into..but would have Medicine Kid 4th on that list. That's not being derogatory to him he was a Railway Stakes winner. Just think the other 3 were classier. Detonator was carrying the grandstand when the bottom weights had 46 and 48kg.

Blast07 likes this post.

I understand that these lists divide opinions, and its impossible and unfair to compare horses of different eras too, but a process of elimination helps :) 
    edited August 2016
    Will anchor Medicine Kid for 4th with confidence. As said no put down..maybe a bit blinkered too as didn't fancy him in the Railway and had some good doubles going into Perth Cup winner Zamlight with the runner up and a few others in the Railway. Was a superb ride on Medicine Kid from the late Jason Oliver.

Blast07 likes this post.

Belele was one of the nicest grey horses you could ever wish to see. A striking grey that took the eye. Heroicity and Belele both had the same sire Cheraw. Schillaci from the Freedman camp another grey that captured the imagination.

Blast07 likes this post.

Any of these four stand out? (similar question to before)

1) Starstruck
    2) Barossa Boy
    3) Fairetha
    4) Burgess Queen

Starstruck- I cant seem to find much information on this mare. She was origianlly an eastern stater am I correct? Besides the Australian Cup (apologies if this was the race she lost on protest?), what else did she win here in the West?

Considering Barossa Boy won 3 big features in Qld, there is also very little information on him too. Burgess Queen I believe was trained by F.Maynard. Fairetha was a dual Perth Cup winner.

I have also found very little content on La Trice and Detonator. If anyone has any images/stories on these two in particular, please let me know.

Thanks everyone.
    edited August 2016
    Starstruck lost the old Hotham Handicap on protest which by then may have been called the Dalgetty Handicap which think now is the Saab. Was always the final race of the day but now is about race 3. The horse that got the protest off Starstruck was a grey horse called Pindi got a feeling ridden by Alf Mathews and trained by Colin Alderson. Starstruck had some terrific clashes with eventual Melbourne Cup winner the enigmatic Juene. Starstruck had the wood on Juene a few times remember well because was on Juene often. ~X(

jum likes this post.

edited August 2016
    Mark Miller piloted Startstuck often and was on the day he lost the protest. He was bit of a (likeable) rogue the hoop but by goodness he could ride. Absolute natural.

Blast07 likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Had a beer with Groover Miller on the weekend to this day reckons the bloke on Pindari who i think was Alf Mattews hit him with his whip a couple times.. thats why he elboewd him  i reckon Kaye and JJ would still be howling looking at the film he had it shot to bits. You can still see the protest on you tube plug in starstruck protest. I am not sure but think Starstruck  may have come from Waterhouses or Smithes back then. i think she may have also won a Australia cup. She was pretty good. Your right Riders Mark Groover Miller could also sit on a bit

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Fairetha know nothing about...hopefully somebody can update. Burgess Queen a champ , Barossa Boy outstanding.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts

Fairetha, owned by Bob Fernie, trained by Abo Jordan, won 2 Perth Cups ridden by pistons dad, John Wilson.

heard a funny story about Starstruck...don't quote me, but it was Shane Miller who was riding work for Smith/Waterhouse at the time and said the mare was good but not up to Sydney class..hence it was sold to his folks.

Ridersonthestorm33, spinking, Blast07 likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Blast pm'd me about La Trice....no expert on throroughbreds but I know she was by Matrice, I know she lost the 1970 Railway on protest to Uncle Ted's Kilrickle and that with a Karrakatta win, 2 Winterbottom Stakes and 2 Lee Steere Stakes plus an earlier win in the Railway in 1968 when I think she was just a 3 year old, she has to be one of the very best mares to race in WA. I think Holmes'A 'Court bought her and bred from her but could be wrong.

Blast07 likes this post.

• dungydungy    9,278 posts
    spinking said:

Had a beer with Groover Miller on the weekend to this day reckons the bloke on Pindari who i think was Alf Mattews hit him with his whip a couple times.. thats why he elboewd him  i reckon Kaye and JJ would still be howling looking at the film he had it shot to bits. You can still see the protest on you tube plug in starstruck protest. I am not sure but think Starstruck  may have come from Waterhouses or Smithes back then. i think she may have also won a Australia cup. She was pretty good. Your right Riders Mark Groover Miller could also sit on a bit

Agree on Groover gee he could ride just a lunatic out of the saddle ,didnt he cop 15 years as an apprentice at Pinny ? bloody good hands and heels rider loved his ride on Ros Reef to win the Perth Cup many a year ago ,wasnt he in Malaysia riding for a fair while ? Ipoh i think 

spinking likes this post.

• dungydungy    9,278 posts
    Jordan said:

Wow big call piston miss Andretti and scenic blast went ok

Fimiston was a freak as was Fair Sir and Placid ark they would have lapped half the so called good horses that trainers these days take east ,great era of WA racing 

Blast07 likes this post.

edited August 2016
    Think Groover got a lot of time for foul riding at Pinjarra...first heard about it when it hit the Channel 7 news that night. Was a big story but thought he was out of apprenticeship by then and a fully fledged hoop but stand corrected.
    Groover reached over and grabbed the reins of Jimmy Taylors mount at Pinjarra that day . Might have been the first running of the race at Pinji were you got a booking to the stallion of your choice . Might have been the matchmaker or something like that. Yes he did ride up in Malaysia for a while met and married a nice local  girl and now has 2 little girls who would have thought

dungy likes this post.

Riders I think the only reason they didn't give him a lot longer was because he was a apprentice
  • lamelame    1,757 posts
    JayJay said:

Blast pm'd me about La Trice....no expert on throroughbreds but I know she was by Matrice, I know she lost the 1970 Railway on protest to Uncle Ted's Kilrickle and that with a Karrakatta win, 2 Winterbottom Stakes and 2 Lee Steere Stakes plus an earlier win in the Railway in 1968 when I think she was just a 3 year old, she has to be one of the very best mares to race in WA. I think Holmes'A 'Court bought her and bred from her but could be wrong.

matrice also the sire of pago pago