got the chocolates as well
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    And Wins a Group 3 For Jimmy Cummings
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    paraletic said:

paraletic said:

Spirit Bird racing today in Newcastle

got the chocolates as well
    anyone with a small share in it's half sister would be a little chuffed about now
    :-\"

paraletic likes this post.

• lamelame    1,757 posts
    starting to think i must of dreamt it but was sure winx was a late scratching ?

FK me! how good was the win of Hartnell  @-)

if for some reason Winx doesn't run in the Cox Plate, there's your winner!!

I'd love to know what future race its being targeted at and bet up

oldhendo, jimbo1 likes this post.

• lamelame    1,757 posts
    here's it's nom's before todays race

Weights

Race 8 - BMW Caulfield Cup (2400 METRES)

Colours Trainer
    Weight
    image John O'Shea   55kg  

Race 8 - William Hill Cox Plate (2040 METRES)

Colours Trainer
    Weight
    image John O'Shea   59kg  

Race 7 - Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200 METRES)

Colours Trainer
    Weight
    image John O'Shea   55kg  

Acceptances

Race 5 - 2:35PM ASCEND SALES TROPHIES HILL STAKES (2000 METRES)

Colours Trainer Jockey Weight Status
    image John O'Shea James McDonald 59kg Racing

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    hash said:

FK me! how good was the win of Hartnell  @-)

if for some reason Winx doesn't run in the Cox Plate, there's your winner!!

I'd love to know what future race its being targeted at and bet up

Caulfield Cup apparently-it's fav already. Then I guess they'd look at the Cox Plate after that run.

hash likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    I think that C.W is the 2nd most over rated jockey..

hash dislikes this post.

are you talking through your kick sonny?

is it the same Craig Williams that rode a Caulfield cup and cox plate winner the same year Dunedin won the melb cup when he should have been on it that day aswell...

all jocks have off days... one thing I can assure you, Michael Walker is one of the most under-rated jockeys going round, I'd love to see him win a G1 this season

sonny likes this post.

• dungydungy    9,278 posts
    sonny said:

I think that C.W is the 2nd most over rated jockey..

Who's the 1st lol lol
    Hi Dungy, Meeee .     Hash,Its the only way to talk, through your kick...

hash, dungy, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    62 bookies at Caulfield yesterday, 67 for Caulfioeld Cup day. There would be more but they can't fit them in. 

112 down to work at Flemington for each of the 4 days of the carnival.

15 bookies at the big once a year Avoca Cup meeting on Caulfield Cup day 5 hour drive from Melbourne.

22 Bendigo cup, 23 Geelong Cup . Then at the 
    13 at Benalla, 11 at Gunbower with Gunbower being a 4 hour drive from Melbourne.

I write this, because a bookie mate of mine is having difficulty obtaining permission to work at certain meetings in Queensland. The impression that he gets is that they don't care in Queensland if they have bookies or not.

A very close relative of mine who works on the rails in Sydney, is of the same opinion where Peter Vlandys is concerned. He believes that the increases in prizemoney for NSW racing can only lead to a greater tax burden for the NSW bookies. This was also pointed out by Glen Pollett on his Racing Rant site.

The only place where the presence of bookies is to some extent appreciated, is here in Victoria. I'm not saying that things aren't tough between the Spring and Autumn and the Autumn and Spring Carnivals for bookies, but at least the authorities have recognised this and allow bookies to make the decision as to whether or not they work at certain meetings, as long as they work at more than 50% of them and this allows them to operate at the Carnivals.

At Pakenham and Geelong, the arrangement between bookies and RV is that the ring is restricted to 5 bookies for midweek meetings because it is accepted that there is not enough turnover for a larger ring.

To a Bookielover like myself, nothing got up my nose more, than as the favourite was bolting in the first race at Northam on Thursday, DMac said, "if you have backed this favourite get in the TOTE que to collect". It's the first time I have ever heard that comment made by DM who always says go to your bookie and collect. Obviously there was no bookie working at Northam, and I reckon the club and RWWA didn't give a stuff about it.

Someone should ask those at Racing Queensland and Vlandys and in particular the TAB who own Sky, why they make a point of STILL giving the on course bookie flucs on SKY, even though they have Dave Stanley in the studio giving out the TAB fixed odds.

Could it be that they actually understand how much it influences and increases turnover on the Parimutuel in the last 5 minutes of betting?

Yet these genii want to get rid of on course bookies.

8-}

Ridersonthestorm33, sonny likes this post.

Wyongi dislikes this post.

Hi Hash, Just been listening to Racing Rant and an e-mail was sent in saying,, C.W. 0 out 27 in Sydney.

therealkramer likes this post.

sonny said:

Hi Hash, Just been listening to Racing Rant and an e-mail was sent in saying,, C.W. 0 out 27 in Sydney.

Although in fairness Moreira had a similar stat prior to a couple of weeks ago.
    my man belongs in Vic! wait for him to fire up in the next couple weeks, be patient lads
    ex WA horse My Sister Lil goes around tomorrow at Sale paying $12, is a huge price considering how well it had been running in town (on Saturdays) real keen on it each way, D.Lane rides  

jum likes this post.

Into $6.50 :D
  • WyongiWyongi    152 posts
    edited September 2016

62 bookies at Caulfield yesterday, 67 for Caulfioeld Cup day. There would be more but they can't fit them in. 

15 bookies at the big once a year Avoca Cup meeting on Caulfield Cup day 5 hour drive from Melbourne.

13 at Benalla, 11 at Gunbower with Gunbower being a 4 hour drive from Melbourne.

I write this, because a bookie mate of mine is having difficulty obtaining permission to work at certain meetings in Queensland. The impression that he gets is that they don't care in Queensland if they have bookies or not.

A very close relative of mine who works on the rails in Sydney, is of the same opinion where Peter Vlandys is concerned. He believes that the increases in prizemoney for NSW racing can only lead to a greater tax burden for the NSW bookies. This was also pointed out by Glen Pollett on his Racing Rant site.

The only place where the presence of bookies is to some extent appreciated, is here in Victoria. I'm not saying that things aren't tough between the Spring and Autumn and the Autumn and Spring Carnivals for bookies, but at least the authorities have recognised this and allow bookies to make the decision as to whether or not they work at certain meetings, as long as they work at more than 50% of them and this allows them to operate at the Carnivals.

At Pakenham and Geelong, the arrangement between bookies and RV is that the ring is restricted to 5 bookies for midweek meetings because it is accepted that there is not enough turnover for a larger ring.

To a Bookielover like myself, nothing got up my nose more, than as the favourite was bolting in the first race at Northam on Thursday, DMac said, "if you have backed this favourite get in the TOTE que to collect". It's the first time I have ever heard that comment made by DM who always says go to your bookie and collect. Obviously there was no bookie working at Northam, and I reckon the club and RWWA didn't give a stuff about it.

Someone should ask those at Racing Queensland and Vlandys and in particular the TAB who own Sky, why they make a point of STILL giving the on course bookie flucs on SKY, even though they have Dave Stanley in the studio giving out the TAB fixed odds.

Could it be that they actually understand how much it influences and increases turnover on the Parimutuel in the last 5 minutes of betting?

8-}
    Bookielover, I understand your argument, but there are 53 bookmaker stands at Caulfield , not 62 as you post, however 7 of those stands are operated by bookies using a partner, in effect there are 47 bookies fielding.

www.vicbookmakers.com.au/draws-by-race-meeting.htm

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    hash said:

ex WA horse My Sister Lil goes around tomorrow at Sale paying $12, is a huge price considering how well it had been running in town (on Saturdays) real keen on it each way, D.Lane rides  

looks like she has had enough for this time in, big shame she couldnt get a bit more luck throughout the campaign as she probably should have won multiple times.

jum, hash likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    WA is going the same way as the other states... regular 5-6 bookies in town on a saturday.
    lucky to have one at northam.
    No bookie at York yesterday. 

still not allowed to offer markets on the net for provincial meetings. 

I wonder how many will go to Bunno for the Saturday meeting? 

on another note, whispering Brook has been very well supported in the 5th at Caulfield on Saturday.
    I heard there was $7 bet... but saw $6 myself. Into $4 now. 

Gilgamesh, hash likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    its last run was massive. Very good animal that one.

lame likes this post.

Wyongi said:

8-}
    Bookielover, I understand your argument, but there are 53 bookmaker stands at Caulfield , not 62 as you post, however 7 of those stands are operated by bookies using a partner, in effect there are 47 bookies fielding.

www.vicbookmakers.com.au/draws-by-race-meeting.htm

My only excuse Wyongi is that I accidentally counted another 7 in the draw for the next meeting. 

Either that or I can't count, which is quite possible since I failed plasticine in kindergarten
    :((

Obviously we suffer from the same disease. Even I know that 47 plus 7 is 54 not 53.

Anyway,the reason that I add those extra "partner" stands to the number of actual bookmakers, is that as a punter you can go up to each of those people manning the stand for the bookie, and they have to bet you to win the minimum bet required by the rules.That makes the bookie just as vulnerable to a loss, as if he was accepting the bet at the stand the he himself is operating.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    Whispering Brook now $3.4 and $3.50 
    TheDiva said:

on another note, whispering Brook has been very well supported in the 5th at Caulfield on Saturday.
    I heard there was $7 bet... but saw $6 myself. Into $4 now. 
    Gets a shocking barrier(12) again though and the horse that beat it last start, Merriest, fared no better for tomorrow night's Scarborough Stakes at the Valley, where it also drew barrier 12.

hash likes this post.

Craig Williams on fire with a couple early winners ;) hope you backed him in the JC @Ridersonthestorm33
    Not a good ride there by Hall on the fav. Maybe needed a run over a mile before the step up in distance but get back stayers cop that every time.
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    Ohhhhhh they left it in the bag then she was very avg that filly
    Nick Hall beaten on two short priced favs. His mates at Crown Bet would be tickled pink. 
    Whispering Brook is too fast for its own good, connections and trainer should take it to the Valley over 1200 and nothing would get close to it

paraletic likes this post.

As soon as Nick Hall rode the ears off Whispering up the hill from the 1400 metre start, it would have needed to be a champion to win. And i'm not talking through my kick. Hall should know that the 1400 at Caulfield is more like a 1500 metre race, unlike Flemington where the track is flat.

I just hope that no one took the poison on offer today. 
    :(