G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 29 Non Members
jumjum    3,512 posts
edited November 2016 West Australian Racing

Hi all PTT members

Could anyone who has horses with.

G Durrant and Jason Miller, J T Warwick, Jim Taylor, Trevor Andrews, Brett Pope or any one else you would recommend.

Please PRIVATE message me there Daily training rates. I have a Filly about month away from full training and I am unsure who to go too.

I wouldn't mind comparing rates from these top trainers

+1 -1

Kiwitrotsguy dislikes this post.

Comments

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    you get what you pay for just like anything in life, comparing and trying to save can be the difference between having a horse string a few wins together and a horse that's still a 15 start maiden... and that's no disrespect to the lower tier trainers out there

Kiwitrotsguy dislikes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts

Look them up yourself you scumbag

Yep.  you are the same guy I thought you were L-)

30 posts in, and away you go.

spinking likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited November 2016

How many sleeps until Xmas Kiwi ????????? probably 4 for you. You need to get of the **** mate.

I picked you out 3 days ago as someone that has been on this forum numerous times. under different Alias's

It was just a matter of time before you blew up

spinking likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts

jum, I have no idea of the rates, but with absolute no disrespect to any of the trainers you mentioned, they are all masters in their field.

BUT, as far as placing a horse and being up front on its ability i'd opt for jim taylor.

disclaimer: I do not know the bloke.

jum likes this post.

• TucoolTucool    156 posts

hey mate ,

Do you want to be one of 60 plus or one of 10 ?

thefalcon likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    Was leaning that way Falc
    Tucool said:

hey mate ,

Do you want to be one of 60 plus or one of 10 ?

I just want a trainer that gives feedback to me without having to feel bad ringing him once or twice a week.
    And tells me it's know Farrkin good, if that's the case.

hash likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts
    If you want to know if it can run or not....give Lindsey Smith a call....

cheers
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Durrant/Miller good for that too, in my opinion.

LuckyLongshots likes this post.

^^^^ not the same without Adam....

jum, cut out the 1 or 2 calls a week.....it drives them nuts.....imagine if u got 50 calls a week....they let u know. I would not be a trainer for all the tea in china...

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    edited November 2016
    At 60-70 bucks a day, non communication is not on.

To expect a call, txt or email from the trainer per week is acceptable and fair.

jum, hash, RIO, CPL, Offthebit likes this post.

exactly LLS but an owner ringing twice a week is just not on....

Rex likes this post.

edited November 2016
    thefalcon said:

A good trainer would avoid that occuring. Be proactive and communicative with the person paying the bills and most owners would be happy with that.

paraletic, jum, RIO likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts

thefalcon said:

A good trainer would avoid that occuring. Be proactive and communicative with the person paying the bills and most owners would be happy with that.

i agree, have decent systems in place then there is no phonecalls needed. Over-servicing your clients is the new norm, has to be in this economic climate of which horse trainers arn't immune.

dungy, jum, hash, RIO, thefalcon likes this post.

edited November 2016
    thefalcon said:

^^^^ not the same without Adam....

jum, cut out the 1 or 2 calls a week.....it drives them nuts.....imagine if u got 50 calls a week....they let u know. I would not be a trainer for all the tea in china...

50 calls a week...? try having 50 a day from a crazy ex!! :P

jokes aside though If your paying the bills for a horse you own or part own I'd of thought you have every right to call... as lucky said above - I guess it's up to the trainer to be proactive and get as much info as often as possible out to his clients so they don't end up receiving 50 calls a week

RIO likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts

Cheers all

Got some great feedback in the inbox, Much appreciated

:-bd

RIO, Chelsea, spinking, GaryH likes this post.

who you decided on and how much of the horse do you own?
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

I Narrowed it down too two Hashy, Then woke up to an inbox on Facebook this morning from an Ex trainer ;)

Will go that way more than likely. Me and my ole man have the whole lot of her mate.

hash likes this post.

George Way??

=))

Chelsea, paraletic, Gilgamesh likes this post.

ex trainer? how experienced is he/she and how they have they not be training for...

I'd of thought if you own the whole thing you'd want the best of the best

more to the point, why are they "ex"?

hash likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Maybe the ex trainer pointed him in a certain direction and justified why, and that made sense??

jum likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2016
    Had a friend who raced a couple of horses with Jim Taylor...One was a prolific city winner the other won a race in the country and placed in town..but Taylor got every inch out of them and was upfront all the time about both. He doesn't muck around with them and lets you know immediately if they won't make the grade. His placement of horses in the right field for the right race is uncanny. He couldn't talk higher of the bloke. A Jim Taylor horse running in the city or country is a horse to be respected.

cisco, thefalcon likes this post.

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    I'd have my horse with the trainer who could make me the most money.

jum, CPL likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2016
    Talking about making the most most money....my uncle had a lot of horses....he never trained a single winner...but made a fortune out of the game....he owned a merry-go-round b-(

thefalcon, Yankee likes this post.

probably how majority of the trainers that aren't as successful last so long... cant go wrong laying slow ones on BF
    @hash - sometimes you get what you pay for.

We had a share in a leased horse over east, trained by a high profile trainer and got a years worth of monthly $4,000+ bills (some less when spelling)

Got some trials under it's belt - worked it out later, we were just feeding the horse while it grew!  It did make it to the track in the end (for a new owner) and even won a maiden, but that was a year after we stopped paying!

Certainly wouldn't be leasing another horse anytime soon!
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    I think being a horse Trainer is a hard enough job just to get results that keep owners coming back year after year. usually buying expensive yearlings and then paying up for them for the best part of three years to try and get a result. If anything, some Trainers would benefit greatly from making the leap to a full front office that a Racing Manager could provide.

A liaison between Trainer and Client for all mundane communication, leaving critical conversations around race day etc to personal contact. A Racing Manager could also provide a proactive service exceeding client expectations in delivery of service, because when it is all said and done, disappointing results  can be easily overcome and relationships solidified through good communication. No problem is too big if you know what is going on.

jum likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts
    Another cost that will have to be consumed by the paying owners....not sure it's warranted.

cheers

thefalcon, RIO likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Few things I'd be considering before I even bother inquiring about fees.

1. Trainers who've had success with that breed of horse (ie most winners by the bull etc)
    2. Trainers who have had success with / know that particular family (may have trained the mother, sister etc)
    3. Trainers who suit that type of horse (early, maturing, stayer, sprinter etc)
    4. Trainers who are prepared to travel the horse to where it needs to go to win races (and therefore return you money) - as obviously money is a concern, seeing as your first point of reference is fees.
    Lot of "lazy" trainers out there that will just run them mid / back of field at Ascot (or wherever their local is) every second week because they can't be bothered.

End of the day doesn't matter what fees you are paying if the horse doesn't perform.
    Or if it's not going to in the first place, and you're setting up to just pay fees out - give it a miss altogether. Save your money for a better horse.

Just my two bobs :)
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    ^^^^all good points and as I have no fear of changing and trying trainers, that is what I do all the time before I consider fees, funny how I didn't think for a moment about giving out those tips.

Pricing is generally the last thing I worry about. To the point there have been times I've not known the fee until I've got the bill!!!!!!!

Chelsea likes this post.