G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 33 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    I agree STG.....like the look of this meeting....a country venue attracting largely country class horses graded pretty evenly. 
    The new Win $ assessment is designed to throw up more of this type of meeting so we can only hope it achieves the desired outcomes.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Yep, been caught twice of late....a lovely drive through Boyup Brook, the thriving metropolis of Arthur River.....and turn around and retrace your steps.
    Mexican night ....free burritos in race 3.

jum, Whispers likes this post.

getthechange dislikes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts

Narrogin is in the Bermuda triangle of harness racing.......more meetings have been lost without trace there in "possible storms" than anywhere on the globe. Poor buggers seem to cop it regularly.

I like Narrogin - they like Wagin Albany Kelleberrin Bridgetown recognize they have half mile tracks - and thus limit the field the 10 - yet GP and Northam have the insanity to run 12 horse fields on same size tracks

There was a race at Narroggin about a month or so - ago - with the 6 - 4 format - S Sualvalko drew 10 and N Turvey drew 5 ( both equal faves) - within 200 metres SS had the lead - and Turvey to his shock horror was in the death . That use to be a Brian Hancock speciality ( when he was young and fearless ) - gate 10  at HP - 6/4 format - ok the no 4 is a quick beginner - handles bars down at the start - i will follow it through - and often he would lob 1 by 1

Thats what i would like at GP and Northam - 10 horse fields  6 by 4 - that way every horse on the front row if they had a quickish  beginner - could have a shot for the lead - and if you drew gate 9 or 10 - you could do what B P Hancock use to do

Like Curmudgeon says - at present half of them grab hold at the start -the 11 and 12 duck to the pegs - over and over again

As for the possible storms tonight - i can remember about 3-4 years ago a Narrogin Trots meeting being called off - because the Clerk of the Course - horse went lame - so i think Jay Jay better take one of his pacers with him - because us punters want something to bet on - hey

curmudgeon likes this post.

I'll have one there Marko ....but not for clerk of course duties.......unless she goes real bad lol.

Markovina, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts

KTQ said:

I have never seen that in WA... can you find a field in WA where that's the case? I'm really curious now!

(exception being a horse that won races as a 2/3 year old, where their wins don't contribute to C class unless they've raced in C class races)

the perfect example with  a  family that have  harness involvement on a daily basis for 45years I no of,would not surprise me if its over fifty years .....total dedication and love for the standardbred ..

tonight at Narrogin hilo rex back to c2  his stats 165 starts 17wins 11 seconds 21 thirds 98k stakemoney his won 7  in 2012;;;; 4 in 2013 ;;;;;2 in 2014;;;;;2 in 2015 1 in 2016 1 in 2017 so far
    the family breed  the horse they full well no his capabilities as a 9 year old and they would thoroughly enjoy getting up to work him....would like to no over the journey how many winners w.t.groves has trained over 400?

great to see some of the conditions attached to races to get fair dinkum about stopping the exodus of trainers the co tonight is for horses that haven't won a stake greater than 3,500 in there last ten starts random b.draw..alta christano couldn't have won this one....100 unplaced money should be 2  now to program a race for participants  that haven't won a race in twelve months with a common sense approach to conditions.. its called savethegame  
    good card of country harness tonight..
    good night on the punt if harry haich wins the first well the fat bloke with red suit would have sore back backed hilo rex . finished the quaddie off with fav. and  hilo angus and another 2 wins for w.t. groves took 2.40 fixed major castrophe blew like hurricane in betting like he had lost a leg en route to course beat I'm full of excuses in the death going 1.55.5 in trial paid 3.50 tote he had a long spell maybe what he needed..

Gilgamesh, curmudgeon likes this post.

No "Bermuda Triangle" storms last night @curmudgeon , Santa Claus and Bouncy Castle etc etc for lots of kids on course , a perfect night, good busy crowd, plenty of locals enjoying a beer, a feed and a bet, 9 races, horses winning and placing from everywhere. Track wasn't fast as they put plenty of water on it to eliminate any dust issues. PTT boys on the pace with their value selections, Matt Young doing his usual top job on course and obviously enjoying a couple of his favourite selections getting the Christmas chockies for the Young Family
    A lot of value last night and some top drives from concession drivers...Peterson, Roberts, Young...I think we are in good hands...
    To complete what was an excellent night for the not so high profile stables (hate that term but you know what I mean), negotiating stray sheep on the road between Arthur River and Moodiarrup certainly keeps you alert. If I had been younger, more agile and willing to break rustling laws, JJ's Christmas feast  would have been greatly embellished.
    And Riders, there was $91 and $15 the place available early on fixed odds Three Pints!!!!
    :)>-

Ridersonthestorm33, Gilgamesh, jum likes this post.

Animals on the road at night - hey

Ive done the Sydney - Perth road trip that many times - Kangaroos a real hazard at night - but worse still - when approaching  Cobar in NSW - Wild goats - you want to be drinking plenty of Coca Cola and be wide awake and alert - otherwise one smashed up car
    Markovina said:

Ive done the Sydney - Perth road trip that many times - Kangaroos a real hazard at night - but worse still - when approaching  Cobar in NSW - Wild goats - you want to be drinking plenty of Coca Cola and be wide awake and alert - otherwise one smashed up car

I see the last at GP on Sat night is at 10.50. 
    Trainers and drivers from far flung places will be driving home around 1.00 am ..... who programmes the meeting start times......the WA Panelbeaters Association ??
    I have encountered the sheep on the Boyup-Arthur River road 3 times in the last couple of months. Reported them to Manji Police Station this morning.....difficult for them to do anything I know....but I will be running the gauntlet again this Sunday to the Wagin meeting...makes for a very stressful drive. Kangaroos, yep, okay, thta's to be expected but sheep are far worse, especially when you come across them on a bridge where they have no sideways exit. Not a major world problem I know but no phone coverage out there if you do clobber one in the middle of the night.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited December 2017

Markovina said:

Trainers and drivers from far flung places will be driving home around 1.00 am ..... who programmes the meeting start times......the WA Panelbeaters Association ??
    I would say programmed to maximise the crowd following on from the cricket. The same as Friday night.

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    jum said:

Markovina said:

I would say programmed to maximise the crowd following on from the cricket. The same as Friday night.
    Correct Jum.
    I remember last year after either an Australia or Scorchers game at the WACA finished at the same time as the last race was on which wasnt good timing or programming, hopefully they have learnt from that and judging by the race times this weekend they may have.
    All facilities, bars etc open from usual times even though the first race isn't on until 7.03....sensible call i reckon, maximising any possible cricket influx....even if just a few hundred roll over the road from the WACA.
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    JayJay said:

All facilities, bars etc open from usual times even though the first race isn't on until 7.03....sensible call i reckon, maximising any possible cricket influx....even if just a few hundred roll over the road from the WACA.

I know of at least 15 people at the cricket heading to Gloucester straight after the cricket JJ. Think it will be more than a few hundred.

JayJay likes this post.

kalg.race2  The protest very surprised it was upheld on a number of fronts, but there you go;;;
    edited December 2017
    Surprised or absolutely stunned as I was STG ? :-O :-O Not quite a Ma Doubt but heading in that direction.
    Have watched replay, can someone tell me where the interference took place and on what lap?
    edited December 2017
    400m last lap JJ.................
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    It is that bad it almost deserves a thread of its own.

jum, curmudgeon, Newkidontheblock likes this post.

Need the head on but when the horse inside  broke, the "winner" appeared to be still 3 off the pegs??? Must be, has to be, surely there is something we can't see in the side on vision.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Agree that the side on vision does not show any interference clearly but how can there be a conclusion drawn that Whitbys Gamble would have beaten Baptism of Fire without the perceived interference.

Whitbys Gamble was legless on the line and Allazar ran it down for third.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Our jeremes gem is massive overs the next race. Just put it into the race at some stage and it should win it
    edited December 2017
    JayJay said:

Need the head on but when the horse inside  broke, the "winner" appeared to be still 3 off the pegs??? Must be, has to be, surely there is something we can't see in the side on vision.

There isn't I suspect. The worst decision I can recall seeing for a long long time.
    Spoke to Craig Saligari at GP tonight.....he is genuinely poleaxed by the whole episode......

Surprised or absolutely stunned as I was STG ? :-O :-O Not quite a Ma Doubt but heading in that direction

JayJay said:

Don't think there ever will be a worst  protest then the ma doubt one, people still talk about it think the great cat  one is the second worst one  this one might grab third.
    JayJay said:

The head on vision is the only thing that would put the actual incident to bed.....With what I see just as cams resurgence takes the lead of cara everlyn and starts to make a bee line to the rail..One of two things has happened, baptism of fire is following cams resurgence movement slight left following cams.r. Those unforgiving yank carts and the proturison of the wheels have contacted Whitby gambles legs,in all of this has aldo horse moved up the track as he missed the boat in hoisting saligari and he contributed to his horse hiting the wheels of saligari.. if this is the only vision the stewards have to go on it would have to be deemed a racing incident..if the head on vision shows a sudden hard left shift its deemed careless driving charge, but as the rest of the race unfolds stewards are to rule in the belief that a different result would have happened.. in normal circumstances  aldo probably would not have protested but it was his stablemate that ran second....My take without the head on  salgari fined 400 given to the connections of whitbys gamble  protest being upheld no way in this wide world. the stewards to sit down with a retired steward and be showin why they shouldn't  have up held this one..we all make a lot mistakes. saligari should appeal .....The appeal should be to a panel of retired head  stewards video link up.. not this justice and this  one that don't understand the game.
    How competitive has the racing been from Wagin this evening? I use that term loosely, suicidal comes to mind on some of them!

All Jokes Aside went like an absolute train. I was on Seger and was laughing with 350m to go but All Jokes Aside found another gear.

There has been some great weaving drives, also some drives that seriously should have the stewards considering handing out some time on the sides to watch a bit more racing if certain drivers think what they have dished out gives their horses the best chance to finish in the best placing.

Then again it is bloody entertaining.
    Its my favourite country track Wagin - wish there was 10-15 meetings their a year

They reckon its tight and flat - but the proof is in the pudding - horses come from behind consistently their and win - only 1 leader has won - and that was a  $1.30 pop

Lookl at Zachria - 4 wide from last  and pipped on the post - tell me what other WA track you could do that at - none is the answer

Fairest track in WA is Wagin - make that 20 meetings per year please - enjoyable to watch and enjoyable to punt

Gilgamesh, JayJay likes this post.

Had a good go EW Call Me Ernie, go to the fence Peterson!!!! Surely out sprints the winner if he took the sit on it early rather than staying in the breeze?

Salt into the wounds left the 8 out of the first four.

Oh well a very enjoyable program and a nice profit of only one winner.
    Yes, very entertaining and even though it was blowing a gale, with some rain, and a resurfaced track that was on the heavy/loose side, the bar/dining area was chockers, not a spare seat inside. Horses did come from way back. They were wacking into a strong headwind up the straight...make that a gale.and the last quarters were not super quick but happy to leave with a winner and a 4th, both good runs.
    Can't believe the posted time for the stand...1.58.9 can't be anywhere near correct....but that aside, very competitive racing.
    Was an "interesting' drive back to Manjimup....in addition to the sheep (still out on the road in the same place as Tuesday night) and branches, sticks and assorted objects blowing everywhere....add in some very heavy showers and its good to back home with the fire on...In December for goodness sake!!!!

Gilgamesh, curmudgeon likes this post.

Markovina said:

Its my favourite country track Wagin - wish there was 10-15 meetings their a year

They reckon its tight and flat - but the proof is in the pudding - horses come from behind consistently their and win - only 1 leader has won - and that was a  $1.30 pop

Lookl at Zachria - 4 wide from last  and pipped on the post - tell me what other WA track you could do that at - none is the answer

Fairest track in WA is Wagin - make that 20 meetings per year please - enjoyable to watch and enjoyable to punt

You obviously haven't driven on Wagin Marko :D
    Did Hayden Charles genuinely protest against My Breaking Dawn on Rockmenow? Surely that is a typo? It fair dinkum gave it windburn as it ran past him.

Fine for H Charles there for time wasting.