G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 33 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,890 posts
    Give me Wagin over Narrogin any day of the  week - very hard to come from behind at Narrogin

The bottom line is - at Wagin - horses consisently come from behind and win - the  leader behind leader doesnt come  into play - that is a consistent theme of the track

Look how entertaining  and exciting the racing was today/tonight

Monday at Pinjarra wont be a patch on Wagin today for excitement and enjoyment
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Each to their own opinion Marko but lets face it the quality of horseflesh that is running around at the tracks you despise GP, Pinjarra, Bunbury is far superior to Wagin which are a pretty even lot but fairly low class.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,788 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

Had a good go EW Call Me Ernie, go to the fence Peterson!!!! Surely out sprints the winner if he took the sit on it early rather than staying in the breeze?

Salt into the wounds left the 8 out of the first four.

Oh well a very enjoyable program and a nice profit of only one winner.

very good card on all fronts.the unknown aspect throwin up by country racing, drivers don't die wondering started the day in ablaze with prince of smiles 4.50..ended up on the wrong side of the ledger. Came to the last gee the fav.was bobing like a cork in the ocean going up to the gate thought  it was lame quickly got on the 2&3 straightout. .was singing from the same hymn book hoping Peterson would go to the fence gilga... think it would have won. gee Baumgartner reminded me to a degree of  a horse called farmer elect who I thought was always lame   with his action  

curmudgeon, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Yes, that's right VK....Wagin, Keller, Collie, Busso etc ...an opportunity for lesser class horses and hobby trainers to get a run, get a cheque and keep the regions alive. Marko is also correct that it leads to very competitive racing and a good punting product. I just hope that these places survive and that some local farmer will breed another Daintys Daughter, Binshaw, Radiant Oro, Beau Don, Frosty Nelson, Color Glo,Minton Hall or any one of the hundreds of top class regionally bred horses that owe their existence to country breeders . Maybe wishful thinking or even delusional but watching a full house at Wagin yesterday enjoying the racing, a feed and a few drinks is what our Administrators, conspicuous by their absence, need to see and understand.
    JayJay said:

Yes, that's right VK....Wagin, Keller, Collie, Busso etc ...an opportunity for lesser class horses and hobby trainers to get a run, get a cheque and keep the regions alive. Marko is also correct that it leads to very competitive racing and a good punting product. I just hope that these places survive and that some local farmer will breed another Daintys Daughter, Binshaw, Radiant Oro, Beau Don, Frosty Nelson, Color Glo,Minton Hall or any one of the hundreds of top class regionally bred horses that owe their existence to country breeders . Maybe wishful thinking or even delusional but watching a full house at Wagin yesterday enjoying the racing, a feed and a few drinks is what our Administrators, conspicuous by their absence, need to see and understand.

Dont forget Albany JayJay - starts this Friday - and is my 2nd  favourite track behind Wagin

And again at Albany - leaders can hit the wall - Howlett took a couple down their last year - 2s on - and they were gone at the 400 - bit different story at Bunbury

Thats why i like Melton - 1st race their Sat night - fave got attacked in front - got beaten 80 metres

The thing i absolutely hate about Bunbury - is the pegs domination - and advantage - you can be 150 to 1 - i can remember Cody Waldrot took something down their - it was getting 40-50 metres at Kell and Williams - yet it ran 3rd at Bunbury - never placed anywhere subsequently in its life

As Gary HALL jnr said  - when interviewed on track at Bunbury - before the heats ( 2 series back - not the recent one ) - " Bunbury - its a leaders track " - i rest my case

As for VK slagging off the quality of yesterdays meeting  - i thought Soho Wonders race was metro standard - Aliman is a very nice horse - that was a decent quality race . - SS on the $1.30 pop of Oliveris - thats a city class horse - the discretionary handicap - was as good as Bunburys . And Jay Jays horse who won - i think is a quality animal - and the horse who ran 4th ( 1st up from spell ) was running in all those 1.55 classic races

Thus the quality of yesterdays meeting was pretty good
    edited December 2017
    I certainly wasnt slagging off yesterdays meeting as you put it Marko as I love WA Pacing at ALL of our tracks I was just making the observation that it is usually a lower class of horse that run at those venues which may indicate they are all pretty even in ability compared to the 3 main tracks where you have the better class of horse running but JJ probably summed it up better than I above.
    Having said that though I wonder if say the Bond's had have taken a float load down there (and or Albany, Kellerberrin) like they occasionally have done before whether it would have made things a little more one sided?
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2017
    VillageKid think your love of WA Pacing - the proof is irrefutable.

Same lyric as used in Robert Palmer's smash 1988 hit - Simply Irresistible!

VillageKid likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Image result Lest we forget
  • BetonmeBetonme    209 posts

JayJay said:

kalg.race2  The protest very surprised it was upheld on a number of fronts, but there you go;;;

I was also very surprised this was upheld. Baptism of fire wasn't even full extending when winning. 
    Even after reading the stewards report, doesn't install any confidence:

"An objection was lodged by A Cortopassi the driver of the fourth placed WHITBYS GAMBLE against the winner BAPTISM OF FIRE (C Saligari) alleging interference leaving the 400 metres. In consideration, Stewards noted that WHITBYS GAMBLE which had been travelling in the one out one back position on the back of CAMS RESURGENCE (C Peterson) had been checked and then galloped for some distance, losing its racing position when BAPTISM OF FIRE shifted down the track when insufficiently clear of WHITBYS GAMBLE. Further, when losing ground and galloping the mare then locked wheels with ALLAZAR (B Rennie) before disengaging and running on. In considering the objection Stewards were mindful of the significant ground lost by WHITBYS GAMBLE when being checked and at the point of the race where it occurred, that WHITBYS GAMBLE had then taken ground off BAPTISM OF FIRE along with the official margin between the runners at the finish. Stewards were therefore satisfied that WHITBYS GAMBLE would have finished ahead of BAPTISM OF FIRE and therefore the objection was upheld."

"BAPTISM OF FIRE – Driver C Saligari was issued with a charge under Rule 163(1)(a)(iii) for causing interference leaving the 400 metres. Further, as a result of back straight patrol vision not being available due to technical issues Mr Saligari elected to reserve his plea as he wished to view this vision. "
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    More questions than answers in the Stewards Report.
    Whitbys Gamble was behind the leader and moved into the position vacated by Baptism of Fire when that horse eased from the 1 x 1 to a 3 deep position and was advancing around the tiring breeze horse. Cortopassi allowed his horse to move forward too quickly onto the helmet of the breeze horses driver then had to check back off the helmet and Whitbys Gamble rolled out of its gear of its own accord.( you can clearly see the drivers hands snag back and the horse throw its head and become unbalanced on the TAB site vision) Nothing to do with Callegari who was minding his own business out 3 deep.
    Even at that point Whitbys was a million to one to beat Baptism of Fire home and it paddled in a 29.9 quarter to lose 3rd placing close to the line whilst the initial winner was nursed home with a margin that flattered the rest of the field having put the race beyond doubt well before the 100m.
    Also....no head on vision on the night to verify or dispute drivers claims.
    In the immortal words coined in The Outlaw Josey Wales...."don't p&#* down my back and tell me its raining." 

curmudgeon, Chariotsonfire, Betonme likes this post.

edited December 2017
    Make that Saligari not Callegari of course ^^^

I can like your post Curmudgeon but I am not sure it was that good that you should like your own work. :-*

curmudgeon likes this post.

The one aldo should have got upheld was 7 nov 2014. race 8  Kalgoorlie.. when the winner wasted study was inside the marker pegs came out after receiving a unfair advantage by making ground inside the marker pegs when the rule states you are to restrain your horse if you find yourself in that predeciment and rejoin the field at safe time, without ground being made.. The bloke sheedy that had one wheel of his horse go inside the one marker peg was disqualified  after 50s into 6s was the flucs.. spring well was the horse was at Christmas time

I can like your post Curmudgeon but I am not sure it was that good that you should like your own work. :-*

Slip o the finger Chariots ......I haven't worked out how to extract the digit yet 
    You never no the fatbloke with the red suit might drop in a pair from spec. savers.curmudgeon. lets no if they  help you find 20/1 winner..

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    Just looking through the fields and I see Aiden Warwick has a runner in race 2 Hot Passion. Hopefully runs well for the camp.
    Gilgamesh said:

Just looking through the fields and I see Aiden Warwick has a runner in race 2 Hot Passion. Hopefully runs well for the camp.

Has a big team in work with many trialling at Byford last Sunday.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    See how the Busso form holds up, Think at the $14 Lightning Colt is well worth an EW play, was very good first up.

Gilgamesh dislikes this post.

The Reid horse bred in the purple Gil...like pacing royalty purple....only time he would go to Busso would be to book into the Geographe Resort Penthouse, Lightning Colt goes to the same campgrounds I go to.

Backing Matt's for a place tonight, so far so good with both Charlie El and Lis delight getting onto the podium.
    Rub Of The Green wins off 60m, doesn't happen too often, great effort.
    The Voak Train has been in excellent form but why he would want to lead with Chal Storm rather than sit on Happy As Larry is beyond me. 

The betting drift on Happy As Larry probably told the story before the race. By the way not bet for me on the race.
  • ZimmermanZimmerman    80 posts
    Yes jj a very strange decision for c voak as would seem that chal storm was racing up in class and has shown vulnerabilitys in its recent past. Not that similar but in the stand when s suvaljko asked oneonthewood to press forward as the leader was setting a frenetic pace and then proceeded to ask the gelding to challenge for the lead,please!!!! Could understand if the pace was moderate and he was trying to make a gap behind the leader but not in this scenario when its at the expense of oneonthewood. These 'mistakes ' are not glaringly obvious but when SS usually drives with excellent judgment on most occasions its not hard to notice. Bit harsh to QP performance of gelding I would have thought!

Chariotsonfire likes this post.

• ZimmermanZimmerman    80 posts
    Sorry I replying to chariots post. Bit new to this!

JayJay likes this post.

Quote from Northam Harness Racing Club's Facebook Page:

"WOW we had a pretty amazing night at the Northam Trots last night. We
    had a huge crowd, almost like Pacing Cup night, the weather was perfect
    and everyone enjoyed sharing dinner and drinks out on the lawns. Thank
    you Northam and our visitors, we really appreciate your support. Northam
    is a pretty awesome town "

Plus Carter Michael broke the track record over 2190m going 1.56.7, last mile in 1.57.1....from 6th at the bell.

curmudgeon, Gilgamesh, VillageKid likes this post.

Vincent wins the Auckland Cup, an All Stars Trifecta, the Purdons have won all the big ones today ...6 of them, couple of trifectas, total dominance BUT.....a 65.4 half and then home in 54.4 and if Heaven Rocks doesn't go rough, maybe a boilover. I suppose there has been dominance like this in the past but not that I can remember., they simply have the best horses....Australasia wide and clearly, a magnificent training program, all the Sires Stakes series with the big dollars attached ....a bit discouraging for all the other stables, they are racing for the leftovers.

I got up and washed the dishes half way through JJ.....getting sick of All Stars winning cakewalks.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

edited December 2017
    How well is Shannon driving at the minute.
    He has so far driven the first 5 winners on the card at Albany and is a fair chance to drive the whole card looking at his remaining drives left tonight.
    Looks like fantastic crowds at both the Albany and Bunbury nye meetings too.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Champion driver Shannon - had a very small each way bet on Ariki

Apart from dominating the card - he is seriously embarrasing some so called top line drivers - who will remain nameless - no surprise to me though

And also no surprise that Albany delivers - value prices - exciting racing - and some favourites nearly running next to last - where as Bunbury of course is just Bunbury