Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Markovina said:

Champion driver Shannon - had a very small each way bet on Ariki

Apart from dominating the card - he is seriously embarrasing some so called top line drivers - who will remain nameless - no surprise to me though

And also no surprise that Albany delivers - value prices - exciting racing - and some favourites nearly running next to last - where as Bunbury of course is just Bunbury

Just embarrassed himself in race 8
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2017
    ^^ Nobody's perfect!! Perhaps Don Bradman...but that's as close as I can get. If he averaged 100 would have said perfect - 99.4 nah not perfect.

Suvaljko , Pike, Bowman etc etc there all not perfect...but there not too bad just the same.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Yes, Bunbury is Bunbury......and they have had dud nights for sure ....but not last night......an absolute monster crowd there last night, easily bigger than Interdom Night with car park out the front totally full......those of you who have been there....the whole undercover area loaded, food outlets everywhere, the back bar open, every tote window open, the lawn area absolutely  packed...was fortunate enough to dine in the members, also packed. Amazing turn out, I have been to previous NYE meets there but nothing like it was last night. Fantastic atmosphere which effects microphones can't relay to loungeroom couches.

And as far as value goes, I would have thought Ooshta at 22.90 was "good value", All Jokes Aside on its last win was outstanding value at $2.60, Dreadlock at a $3.20 favourite...so that is $3.20 the field....reasonable value I would have thought, McKinley, a pre ordained cat according to some at $6.50, sounds value and Another Mouse at 3.20.....but regardless of facts, the grim reapers will still keep throwing pies. Didn't find too many winners but very encouraging to see at least (not good on crowds) ....umm...3 thousand plus on course?
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    I was compering the pacing between Albany and Bunbury

I mean it was new years eve - they got 10000 to Albury  !!

The best /exciting racing last night was Albury and Albany - and Shannon Suavalko showed his champion qualities

Good luck to " finding " Ooshta in the 1st - lol
    Nah, couldn't find Ooshta Marko, not in a pink fit but jokes aside, it was pretty competitive racing. A couple of races dominated by a superior horse drawn to win....and yes, of course it was NYE....but I have been to 3 meetings in the last week featuring bumper crowds with more to come this month. Yes, there are still issues but I'll say again....I've been to previous NYE meets at Bunbury back in the heady days but last night was massive.....and encouraging.....and I'm betting that Busso will be chockers Tueday Night. Yes, it's the time of the year that if you are ever going to draw crowds, then this is it but the reality is that provincial meets can work and the centralist agenda may not be what's best for the industry.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    S Suvalko......a little ambitious....took the first prize money out of your grasp with a lap and a bit to run JJ.....that smarts. $-)
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Fine line. Crosses he wins and is a genius.

I agree however that given the turn of foot it showed it probably would have won if held up until the 400m.

curmudgeon likes this post.

Ive just watched that replay now - no problems with that drive at all - none whatsoever

Chris Alford champion  driver like S Suavalko - he does that 2 or 3 times a week in Vic - that type of drive - Greg Sugars is another one - who regularly applies those tactics - Sunday at Melton on some $10 pop back in the field - the 2s on pop up near the lead is walking - Sugars said enough of this nonsense - cut the thing loose mid race - stuff the favourite - i want the lead and he got it - and won the race . Daryl Douglass - they use to call him Dasher

Thats what i cannot stand about GP - when was the last time a driver - 2 laps out - turning into the back straight - running about 8th or 9th - with a horse with good point to point speed- say i am going to have a serious crack for the lead with plenty of momentum - unfortunately those daring tactics are totally utterly devoid extinct at GP - thats one of the reasons i call it monotous as compared to some of the interstate pacing

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited January 2018
    ^^ Mark Reed was about the last driver in WA saw make those dashing moves...occasionally paid off - sometimes it didn't - but he had a go and didn't die wondering!

Dasher Douglas in Victoria was amazing - blimey he caught them napping on the country tracks many times. Very clever driver that guy - sometimes a little forgotten now but he was superb.

Markovina likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts

^^ Mark Reed was about the last driver in WA saw make those dashing moves...occasionally paid off - sometimes it didn't - but he had a go and didn't die wondering!

Dasher Douglas in Victoria was amazing - blimey he caught them napping on the country tracks many times. Very clever driver that guy - sometimes a little forgotten now but he was superb.

riders spot on with reed..he would roll the dice in big races with midrace moves..those big races pressure of the amount of money does  get to certain ones...Jimmy the jet. woodie, reed, because they were punters they have a crack mid-race due to the tempo..plus they weren't on suicide missions full well no the capabilities of there particular drives...Shannon last couple years has started to mature into a top class driver..His drive that I bet he would like to have again would be jumbo operator in the derby when he tried to kill the opposition by a margin and overdrove him out of his gear off the back at g.p....Busselton is a track that the drivers level of aggression is the main ingredient..for success..

Dasher is currently warned off or disqualified or both......he could use a Dash o Brains
    Busso raced a bit different last night than it did night 1.....some really good efforts with horses coming from way back...Budd, Tiny Dancer. Very strong headwind up the main straight, sea breeze was well and truly in, so maybe that helped late finishers, dunno. Jet Holme hoisted the sail and ran with the breeze down the back chute and got a huge break.. who knows but it was another good night down there,no complaints....and the Hot Dog stand.......yes, yes, yes....and I'm not a hot dog man!!!
    Will be interesting this Friday with the A grade drivers committed to GP, adds another dimension to what is a very tricky track to drive on, gives opportunities to others....once you make a decision down there, you are committed and you have to wear the outcome, and that's life as it should be.  I'm biased...I love the joint, it's just the overly friendly road rats on the way back to Manji that I can do without.

Ridersonthestorm33, Gilgamesh, jum likes this post.

edited January 2018
    Always recall Dennis Cometti saying on an interview one of his earliest best memories of going to the football as a kid was the Bright Spot Hot Dog Kiosk at East Fremantle oval.

He reckoned can still smell the hotdogs and hamburgers cooking from back then!

It was added atmosphere for that i can concur. Don't eat them anymore but use to enjoy both immensely!
    Just on the Hot Dog side of things related to Trotting

One of my fondest memories of attending  Harold Park - walking out towards the exit - towards Glebe Point Rd - but still in the compound of the Trotting Track - there would be 2 Hot Dog Vendors - yelling out  - Hot Doggie Hot Doggie  Hot Doggie

They had a wooden box strapped over their shoulder - also nice and neat - had all the sauces the mustards - the paper wrapping

Its half past 10 on a Friday Night  - youd think yeah  im a bit peckish - why not - they were very brisk traders i will give you the tip -  sometimes it was the only collect you got for the night

JayJay, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Amazing quad div last night at over 11 grand. Had all bar my names bob, had compact rocket and Bledisloe that leg.

Som great divs on horses who ran well the first night.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited January 2018
    That was an amazing quad!

Gilga if doing quads Busselton you had to put My Names Bob in for two reasons...1. Callan 2. Suvaljko.

First three legs of the quaddie : Matt Scott ; Callan Suvaljko ; Shannon Suvaljko then coming home with the field would have been nice!

Gilgamesh likes this post.

The only race i watched was a replay of Race 1

However looking up the results - what i noticed was the extremely slow last halves - 62 sec 63 sec - and Jay Jays 2nd runner they came home in 64 seconds

What -  did they put a bit of clay instead of shellgrit onto the track !!

Any of those races - if anything had come in 59 sec - it would have won by half a lap
    edited January 2018
    Markovina said:

The only race i watched was a replay of Race 1

However looking up the results - what i noticed was the extremely slow last halves - 62 sec 63 sec - and Jay Jays 2nd runner they came home in 64 seconds

What -  did they put a bit of clay instead of shellgrit onto the track !!

Any of those races - if anything had come in 59 sec - it would have won by half a lap

Times annoy the living crap out of me. We have a headquarters track where they are obsessed with getting them to try break world records on a half mile track making it physically impossible for horses to be 3 deep and be in the finish.

Yeah the times were slow but for a track with a straight as long as you can kick a football it was great to see two horses actually swoop from the back. Who cares how slow they go if the racing is actually competitive.

Surely Ashleigh Markham must have had some thought the he was going to smash into the outside wall turning for home on Bud Sidewinder??? Take some guts to go full bore out wide on that track.
    I see on the AHR  site - that the positives for cobalt for both K Prentice and G Elson have been confirmed by a 2nd testing co - so assuming they are found in breach of the rules etc

Both those 2 trainers should be so grateful they are in WA and not NSW - because the Dean Chapple case in 2014 would put the fear of god into them

And he had some exceptional circumstances - being - he picked the horse up the 30th of August from a Queensland trainer who had the horse ( who the Vet expert at the hearing - described his feedin/vitamin method as ridiculous ) - then it raced on the 1st of Sept at Tamworth - where it recorded a positive to cobalt

Bear in mind - Chapple had an unblemished 30 year record - a director and volunteer at the Tamworth Club etc 

He got 2.5 years - he appealed against the length - but the appeal got dismissed and the 2.5 year disqualification remained

The stewards words were chilling ( backed up by the Appeal mob ) - " There should be a starting point of 5 years - a discount of 18 months for the guilty plea ( which is more than normal ) - and a further discount of 12 months - for his 30 year unblemished record - thus giving a period of disqualification  of 2.5 years  .

Im not saying what is right or wrong - however  WA Trotting Stewards are very very  lenient when handing out periods of Disqualification when compared to the NSW  Trotting Stewards - the case facts back that up .

Markovina you are on the money regards w,a penalties lettuce leaf.approach, drivers were informed  penalties in big races would be doubled this Christmas period  .think the normal 28 days m.purdon  should have recieved  on doubling  should have been 56 days, he was given 26 days and not doubled which suited his plans for lazarus and ultimate machete next runs on the 5th feb. stand corrected was told this by industry particpants...unless the golden nugget doesn't count;
    My reading of the above comprehensive article suggests to me that the 200 level was ridiculously generous. In the sample studies, horses in general have a base line of around 5 and only go above 200 if (a) they are treated repeatedly on a daily basis and (b) that their levels return to around baseline level (5 to 10) after 3 hours.
    So, for a horse to record a reading of 200 on race day, the obvious conclusion is that they they have been repeatedly injected and that this would include raceday treatment, in breach of the rules anyway.
    That's my layman's reading of the Cobalt deal...which could be completely wrong???? But the 200 figure, subsequently lowered to 100 for urine samples, still errs on the side of generosity, as does the 25 microgram level for blood plasma. And all trainers have been advised to avoid administration of certain injectable supplements ....hemo-15, hemoplex and V.A.M....close to racing. 

I think you have got the gist of it pretty clearly JJ.  @-)  What was a traditional (in some stables) race day tonic style treatment of mixtures of injectable vitamins and minerals has caught out plenty who continue to push the envelope. It is pretty clear from the NSW study what the half life of cobalt  means in terms of administration.

Stewards back in the day playing hard ball;;;;; 1955

TWO YEARS FOR KENSINGTON;;

Trainer and driver not owner;; A trainer who expressed amazement at the charge laid against him by the wata stewards was disqualified for two years for being guilty of collusion with a reinsman who in the opinion of the stewards did not try to win.

The trainer was H.C.MORAN. who was charged together with the  owner Mr H.Mcdonald and the reinsman I.garrow with not trying to win with Kensington.

Garrow and the horse were also disqualified for two years.;;Owner mr McDonald was told by chairman mr R.V.GALLOP. that he was exonerated from all blame....

Garrow said he would appeal against the stewards decision..Mr Mcdonald said  a appeal would be lodged on behalf of the horse..
    Moran said that he had not made a decision ..I will seek other advice...he said.Before Moran gave evidence he asked the stewards what charge he was facing.....

NOT TRYING TO WIN;;;
    Mr Gallop said that moran was being   charged with not trying to win with Kensington.....Moran
    are you satisfied that I produced the horse fit?;;;moran asked gallop...The stewards are here to ask the questions not answer them said mr. gallop...
    If I train the horse and give the owner 25quid to back him .,how can I be charged with not trying to win,moran asked in amazement....Moran told stewards that he was perfectly satisfied with garrows drive....He claimed that garrow had been a victim of circumstances'"

Kensington was left out in front,and garrow could not follow my instructions to get a sit because no other driver would try to take the lead, he said...
    EVIDENCE OF BETTING....Evidence that owner Mr Mcdonald Trainer Mr Moran had each invested 25 quid straightout and driver garrow had invested 10quid was given..
    Mr.Gallop. told garrow that he could have surrendered the lead on the second lap to Brazen...At this stage Moran who began to speak was told by the vice-chairman. Mr. G.Hutter not to butt in when garrow was in the box..

Garrow said that he didn't want to let brazen get to the front because he considered brazen would tire quickly and drop back...Mr Hutter  said that kensington   had been heavily backed for a place with starting price bookmakers....Moran do you suspect me of being behind that?

Trotting Has Slipped...
    trotting has slipped so far back in the last 18 months..Moran continued  that there is more money invested off the course than on it..Im sure I am not backing my horses with starting price men.

Owner mr.Mcdonald was recalled to the stewards room and asked whether he had ever given moran instructions how to train or drive Kensington....Mcdonald I have left everything to him his in full control...Moran who is 58  trainer reinsman  has been connected with trotting  since the early days of the sport .he has won a trotting cup   with dumbells in 1926..Mr Mcdonald  is Bassendean businessman and Kensington is the only horse he owns.. Garrow was at the time a promising  reinsman.... 
    Ian Garrow went on to become a fairly decent gallops trainer STG.  
    Days before replays........if the Stipes had an axe to grind.......you were goooooonnne.

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    Interesting the horse was disqualified for two years!
    A couple for tonight.Four Legged Frenzy can run over the top of them, 20/1 looks nice. The other one is Carter Michael, they have got that morket way wrong. He can sit outside Tisadream and beat it.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    An I. Garrow drove Royal Guest to win the 1961 Fremantle Cup for trainer R.H Rhodes.
    I assume it was Ian after serving the disqualification from the above stewards report STG?
    Yep, that was Ian.....switched to the gallops after that.
    Gilgamesh said:

The other one is Carter Michael, they have got that morket way wrong. He can sit outside Tisadream and beat it.

Bet of the week....$4.20 fixed.....sticky buns after all. Tisadream was a nightmare price.

Gilgamesh, curmudgeon likes this post.