G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 17 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Surely relegated to last ....The spring well nightmare will never go away for connections, one wheel inside one marker  peg lost the race 50s into 5s was the go.. les has only taken a shortcut....
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Proof that Harness Racing is a game of humanitarian morality....Stewards obviously took one look at a downcast Les Mcleod in the room....viewed the replay....then invoked the mercy rule.

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Bit off topic but I remember reading once on here about pool sizes and why you shouldn’t bet on tabtouch when taking novelties, don’t know if any of you guys are on twitter but jump on and have a look at @madbetoftheday wins just under 8k on a 30$ exacta betting with corps, would of been somewhere around 700 if he placed it on the tab

Browny123 dislikes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,888 posts
    How good was the pacing at Albany last night ( well its allways blooody good )

1ST 6 races - not one leader won - but that is typical of Albany - and thats why i like it so much

Last 3 races leaders won - $1.04 and $1.50 pops in those 3 - and Miss Sangrail ( 1.04) on the home turn - the orange fuel tank warning  light was flashing - because there wasnt much left in the tank - little Grantham was getting pretty desperate - the 2nd horse was an amazing run - horses go so well for Joceyln Young

Athabascan -  fantastic effort - skittled at the start - was 30 metres behind the field till the bell - gets up and runs3rd - i wish i had looked at the Drivers before that race - played trifectas the 2nd and 3rd horses both ways with the field . The winner of course - Im Zulekia - driven by guess  who - J Young - shes jumped off the stablemate - Athabascan ( which she normally drives ) to drive the winner - i wish i had looked at the drivers pre race - i would have boxed that tri several times - $800 plus dividend
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Markovina said:

1ST 6 races - not one leader won - but that is typical of Albany - and thats why i like it so much

Last 3 races leaders won - $1.04 and $1.50 pops in those 3 - and Miss Sangrail ( 1.04) on the home turn - the orange fuel tank warning  light was flashing - because there wasnt much left in the tank - little Grantham was getting pretty desperate - the 2nd horse was an amazing run - horses go so well for Joceyln Young

Athabascan -  fantastic effort - skittled at the start - was 30 metres behind the field till the bell - gets up and runs3rd - i wish i had looked at the Drivers before that race - played trifectas the 2nd and 3rd horses both ways with the field . The winner of course - Im Zulekia - driven by guess  who - J Young - shes jumped off the stablemate - Athabascan ( which she normally drives ) to drive the winner - i wish i had looked at the drivers pre race - i would have boxed that tri several times - $800 plus dividend

Jocelyn doesn’t usually drive Athabascan Maddy or Trent Wheeler do

VillageKid likes this post.

Backed art tudor in the first 18s 3.40 the ticket....gee for the life of me  why didn't butterworth pop in behind bettorgrinanbarit the second favourite..after the one horse left its feet, he had 40-70 metres to do it 2out 10 stuff... following race his drive  is  what won the race for him on  disco under fire,  shane probably needed one to warm up..his  peripheral vision.....do like punting on country harness

Markovina said:

Jocelyn doesn’t usually drive Athabascan Maddy or Trent Wheeler do
    Yeah my mistake

But then again - you take the Mares  Final race - i found it interesting ( and profitable re the 1st 4 ) that Four Legged Frenzy - also trained by M Saw - and normally driven by M  Young - however last night - Joceyln drove it for the 1st time - and it ran a mighty race - probably one of the best runs of its career in my opinion

M Young was driving other M Saw horses at the meeting last night - but in the mares final race - she didnt have a drive - even though she normally drives FLF - Joceylyn took  the drive for the 1st time  - and the horse went fantastic
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    I see that the horse at Stawell that raced up the Sprint Lane a lap early has now been disqualified and driver Les McLeod suspended.

curmudgeon likes this post.

Just watched all the replays at Melton and Menangle

Magnificent nights racing at Melton - the Vic Derby was a fantastic race - 2nd horse looked home - but winner has run sensational last qtr

Menangle - Darrenn Binskin might be in a bit of trouble - i see the stewards have adjourned the inquiry - i think he is looking at 8 to 12 weeks - on the marginal fave - took on the 2nd fave ( over a mile ) for the entire 1st 800 metres - theve gone 25.4 then 27.7 - a 1st half of 53.1 in a restricted 11k race . He got beaten 130 metres - i dont know what he can tell the stewards to get off the hook

Never thought I would see the day when the Vic Derby played second fiddle to a mongrel trot. They have lost the plot over there.

• sonnysonny    1,053 posts
    Totally agree Curmudgeon. Every owners dream to win a Derby.
    Vics . its breed into them to be a confused lot.. with there sports like there  weather ....The changes they have made to the harness product, doesn't make a lot sense re. the abolishment of standing starts  what allows the punter for a small outlay a decent return due to variables standing starts provide as the  spare money used for gambling is diminishing  you not to keen to send it around on a 1.30 pop  driven by the puppet knowing you only going to win the sauce without the pie.

Wasn't that long ago the hunter cup standing start .....remember  seeing  big numbers turnover wise  now its gone to mobile..not interested in it to the same degree as previous... There best track is ballart the layout. but no sprint lane....but they go from,footy to racing, cricket.tennis pacing, all in a heartbeat..not sure them vics

Never thought I would see the day when the Vic Derby played second fiddle to a mongrel trot. They have lost the plot over there.

Instead of continually bagging things mate - why dont you commend the Victoria Derby for the magnificent race it was - and the champion performance put up by the Queensland Colt

Dont care if Melton is in an industrial wasteland - the actual physical track itself  allows for fantastic races like last nights Vic  Derby ( which was such a good spectacle - you could watch multiple times ) .If that race had been run at GP - Lumineer ( who led ) hangs on and wins - and the winner runs 5th or 6th . Thats why you get WA Derby winners - like Three Blind Mice - who draws gate 1 and leads all the way - DeCampo quinellas it solely because his horses draw gate 10 and 11 - thats what i call a joke and totally unfair .

Radley ( apart from picking up his easy 200k a year )if he has got any brains at all - then his no 1 priority should be to some how increase the size of GP to 900 or 950 metres ( and properly  cambered - not that disaster bike vellodrome called Bunbury ) then the quality of the product will go through the roof

And by the way - your comment  - " that mongrel trot " is so ignorant ( someone who doesnt appreciate top horses ) the winner - over 2760 metres -  off a back line draw - 3 wide into the breeze mid race - and rates 1.58 - a tremendous performance from a trotter  - and a little battling  trainer and owner
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    I dont think Lumineer hangs om and wins, Purdon might have held the front as there is no sprint lane plus WA derby distance is 2500mts.

I think now in the good races they will look to make Lumineer work, whick doesnt happen that often in Vic
    "Instead of continually bagging things mate - why dont you commend the Victoria Derby for the magnificent race it was - and the champion performance put up by the Queensland Colt "

Errr...I think that is what I was doing Marko. My favourite races over east are the Vic Derby and Vic Oaks...last nights event was a very good edition....a number of horses will go on from it to win a heap of good races. $200K for it compared to $300K for the Great Southern Cakewalk / trot that had a number of far from memorable horses in it that were outclassed by a couple of good ones.(as is usual in trotting races....couple of good ones as in the last from Melton last night.....the rest either gallop or can barely keep up) I usually get a steak sandwich or hamburger while they are on......you don't miss much.
    You seem to have a good idea of how to fix things...never actually met a Victorian who wasn't an expert on everything....how about restoring the blue riband 3 y/o race to top billing rather than appeasing the banjo and lagerphone brigade on a rare visit away fro Maryborough pig greasin duties?

edited January 2018
    "Instead of continuously Bagging things"......so a comment on Melton having the Deby play second fiddle is "bagging" but continously rubbishing Bunbury, GP, Busso or anywhere else your dart lands on a map of WA qualifies as what, constructive criticism??? The irony is rich, very rich indeed...or it is a well planned scheme (apologies to Blackadder) to flush out a response.  Either way, I enjoy irony.....and  pie throwing from those with first class honours degrees in the said discipline.

....The   spare money used for gambling is diminishing  you not to keen to send it around on a 1.30 pop  driven by the puppet knowing you only going to win the sauce without the pie.

Gee no sauce as well race 2 at Cranbourne the puppets  in built clock went haywire terrible job rating the fav. even commentator was on to the leadtime, if I didn't no better, it opened 1.85.
    JayJay said:

"Instead of continuously Bagging things"......so a comment on Melton having the Deby play second fiddle is "bagging" but continously rubbishing Bunbury, GP, Busso or anywhere else your dart lands on a map of WA qualifies as what, constructive criticism??? The irony is rich, very rich indeed...or it is a well planned scheme (apologies to Blackadder) to flush out a response.  Either way, I enjoy irony.....and  pie throwing from those with first class honours degrees in the said discipline.

No that is a poor response - do i bag Albany Wagin Kellerberrin Narroggin Bridgetown - no for the simple reason that horses can come from behind - and it is enjoyable to watch and bet

I fi had my way Albany and Bunbury would do  a direct swap . Albany gets all Bunbury meetings - and Bunbury can have 7-8 meetings around the Xmas new year period that Albany currently  get

That would be fantastic if that happened

I thought it was pretty poor form for  someone to say " A mongrel Trot "
    Summary glance at Bunbury today shows Race 1, winner was 6th at the bell. Race 2 leader won, Race 3 winner 6th at the bell, Race 4 winner 6th at the bell, Race 5 winner sat behind the leader, used the sprint lane, Race 6 Mista Shark worked forward 3 wide in the middle stages to lead but clearly the class of the field,, Race 7 winner came from near last....would seem to be anything but boring in my estimation.. Great idea to run meetings at Albany in June, July, August.....I like a bit of snow and 120km/hour winds with an ambient temperature of around 3 degrees.

VillageKid, jum likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,273 posts
    And that summary above is a very regular occurrence JJ of course one would know if they were actually at the Bunbury track to witness, Pinjarra is the same.
    Youve given me even  a better idea

Bunburys 8 meetings per year - they can have June and July - lol

Old Hideout  fills a hole at Bunbury - and pays $14 - three back the pegs of course  - would have got beaten 50 metres at Albany
    edited January 2018
    Marko
    I hereby present to you the very definition of a mongrel trot.
    R1 Stawell 26/01/18 
    Tell me I am dreamin

Curmudge;;  laying a bit leather on old les McLeod  don' t no his age but a life member  of Stawell harness club....evidently he is the Stawell  harness club, with local knowledge he knew a shortcut.
    tip I got his over 70... you & marko touch in the centre and box on.

cisco likes this post.

Bit of a lark STG....True Roman was one of my fav's :)>-

cisco, savethegame likes this post.

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    JayJay said:

I was going to comment yesterday People/Glasshouses/blah blah, but you covered it better JJ  ;;)
    The 2 biggest rule violations that continue to affect Trotting ( probably affect the other codes - but i dont follow the other codes ) seem to be without doubt Cobalt and stomach tubing

I see on the AHR site - John Justice is the latest one re Stomach Tubing - the horse in question Carload - an ex Sunraysia horse - MO type horse - transferred to JJ - did nothing in its 1st 3 runs - then it " Surprised " in 2 back to back wins at double figure odds - stewards QIP - Justice gave them the normal craap - havent had the horse long - changed a bit of its gear - its been working better blah blah

The stewards scratched it from  a Melton race last week - observed Justice - preparing a horse to be stomach tubed within 48 hours of a race

I just wish they brought in a national rule - that Cobalt and Stomach Tubing - its 3 or say 5 years - if your guilty thats what you get

And where it gets really messy - is late last year  Larry Eastman was charged by the police with race fixing ( he was stomach tubing horses - and betting on them ) - which he pleaded gulty in the courts to

Does that mean that JJ - if found guilty - do  the coppers do they charge him with race fixing - its all too optional to me - there should be national fixed penalties
    Fair point Marko, fair point but various jurisdictions can't even agree on the push out, rule, sprint lanes, standardised suspensions for causing interference or even the time it takes for enquiries to be finalised, appealed etc etc etc...which reflects the whole states rights bizzo at meetings of State Premiers who can't agree on anything, not even the time of day. As much as any mandatory sentence has populist appeal, I think there needs to be a base with a bit of wriggle room for exceptional circumstances. One thing I would like to see is CO2 levels published for every horse tested in an accessible data base...for every race ....so that you can identify naturally high levels in some horses and establish a trend, would also identify those who have mastered the "art"??? of preparing horses to race that are marginally under the benchmark level, which may or may not indicate tubing occurring very close to race day, if not at Midnight the day before. Moving towards this in USA where some evidence suggests that a change of trainer produces a change in "naturally" occurring CO2 levels. In one case, a horse hovered around 26-28 for a couple of seasons, changed trainer and suddenly, its "new" naturally occurring level was 34????
    edited January 2018
    Grand Prix D'Amerique 2018. 
    Fantastic race with a couple of champions duelling out the finish.
    Huge respect for other competitors shown by the drivers.
    Should be shown to all prospective reinspersons and stewards

Unfortunately unable to copy and paste here. Google it.

Markovina, JayJay likes this post.

Good spot Curmudgeon, Gotta love the starting procedure....they were running a long it seems but couldn't find any times, winner is a serious horse looking at all the posts, even if I have no idea what they are saying...need a good translator. Very minimal whip use, great spectacle. There are trotting races and then there is this.

Grand Prix D'Amerique 2018. 

Fantastic race with a couple of champions duelling out the finish.
    Huge respect for other competitors shown by the drivers.
    Should be shown to all prospective reinspersons and stewards

Unfortunately unable to copy and paste here. Google it.

Enjoyable - great picture quality too

Dont know if it is a tactic over their - but back in the field - they wernt all 2 and 3 wide  - there were some who were 2 and half  wide - but still with cover

The home straight not for the faint hearted - they were really moving

The old French flag - decent flag that -  ive allways liked it