G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 3 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Best vision I found was with the British caller on TABtouch site....replay R5 Vincennes Sunday 28th Jan.
    Didn't appear anyone interested in stacking the field up and walking them. I think the wider carts allow them to sort of drift wheel into gaps where there are no legs. I saw one driver in yellow look a bit annoyed with the bloke outside him but they soon cleared.....without locking wheels and destroying the chances of half the field.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Driver in the death on the no. 3  horse turning for home gallops, as they full well no they get disqualified in the run,& not after the race, he throws his reins at his horse & continues to gallop at the pace of the race as not to impede anyone around him. Rather then to try & swing it over to a trot...for no benefit / The replay can be seen on w.a.   tab site..... The.Rules allow you to work out when you ticket is  confetti... plus the redbox in the corner also says goodnight nurse. if your unsure..

curmudgeon likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Just a  little bit more on the Victorin Derby

Kevin Seymour - who has had 50 years involvement ( i heard him once say as a teenager- he was a gate attendant at the QLD Trots - and then ended up owning THE Tatts tote ) - he said that win is the best as an owner -  doesnt get any better - " We bred this fellow- we watched his 1st start we followed him through the grades and Grant kept telling us he was special "

I find that so refreshing - i can relate to that a little bit - because as a kid ( we had friends who had horses ) and on a weekend there was nothing better than walking through the paddocks after the new foals had been born

Now im not anti the Halls and Bonds ( but every blooody horse is a ex NZ ) - how did Snr get Chicago Bull - he saw race on Sky Channel and bought it ) - i would much prefer the Australian bred way - eg Colt Thirty One - thats the proper way - and not the easy quick way . In my view the more Gammalites and Popular Alms ( Aust bred horses ) in this world the better

And another thing that really annoys me with NZ imports - is they are suddenly  referred to as Australian horses ( depending on what state they are domiciled in )

Take Soho Tribeca - its 1st 10-15 starts were with Jayne Davies in Victoria- so its a Victorian horse - then it gets transferred to Prentice - so it suddenly becomes a West Australian - well its not a blooody Victorian horse - nor is it a West Australian horse - it a NZ horse - and all those NZ horses should be called what they are New Zealand imports

savethegame likes this post.

See nsw trying a new standing start procedure, if  I got this right the front line walks up on to the tap
    the 10m horses  walk forward  from 20 to 30 metres back, the ten metre tape is put in place as they  are walking forward.  ...             race one menangle today .
    Markovina said:

Just a  little bit more on the Victorin Derby

Kevin Seymour - who has had 50 years involvement ( i heard him once say as a teenager- he was a gate attendant at the QLD Trots - and then ended up owning THE Tatts tote ) - he said that win is the best as an owner -  doesnt get any better - " We bred this fellow- we watched his 1st start we followed him through the grades and Grant kept telling us he was special "

I find that so refreshing - i can relate to that a little bit - because as a kid ( we had friends who had horses ) and on a weekend there was nothing better than walking through the paddocks after the new foals had been born

Take Soho Tribeca - its 1st 10-15 starts were with Jayne Davies in Victoria- so its a Victorian horse - then it gets transferred to Prentice - so it suddenly becomes a West Australian - well its not a blooody Victorian horse - nor is it a West Australian horse - it a NZ horse - and all those NZ horses should be called what they are New Zealand imports

Marko with you as far as how you arrive at topliner ....would be no better feeling then breeding one & to watch it make the big time...

.G.hall would say quinney was there for greg.harper to have, Think Chicago bull was there for R.Williams  Stable     to have they said he was to small and walked not a bad couple horses to go on gut instinct plus it makes it easy if its not your coin on the line

Marko;;;need jay jay to call on soho Tribeca  gee can of worms his mother is tasmanina bred. bred by rob Watson w.a breeder ,first raced by vic trainer.. and he went through s.a to get to perth.

VillageKid likes this post.

My firm policy in the Vic Derby is to support the Australian breds....I spew when the kiwi's win it.
    I read all sorts of stuff about G Dixon but I do know one thing....the bloke can drive....he was millimetre perfect in adapting from his second in the heat to reversing the role on Poster Boy and getting over the top of him in the final with Colt Thirty One.
    I think the Hall and Bond camp look at the late season NZ Sires Stakes heats and finals and try to pick the eyes at whatever finishes close up in those races eg Beaudienne Boaz behind Follow The Stars etc and bank on them improving under the Australian training and racing regimes.Purchase price is rarely an impediment so it is not rocket science. There is a level of satisfaction missing from the NZ tried stock in comparison to the locally derived horses I feel.

Markovina likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts

. There is a level of satisfaction missing from the NZ tried stock in comparison to the locally derived horses I feel.

It's basically buying races. (Not that my family isn't guilty of buying tried nz ones but 97% of our horses are bought as yearlings at the sale or bred at home)

curmudgeon, Markovina likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Marko, Soho Tribeca is most definitely NOT a New Zealand Import, bred by Western Australian registered breeder Robert Watson. It is one of those pointless debates...Mount Eden for example...bred in NZ but first poked his head through a bridle in  the south eastern suburbs of Perth. Always referred to as a Western Australian horse, same Pure Steel...and in this era of Grand Circuit National Racing at all age levels, horses race and are trained all over Australia. What on earth would you classify Flashing Red as? I think the current way in which a horse is referred to as a New Zealand import is okay. Different folk, dependent on their age,  do things differently as is their right.

VillageKid, loose_goose likes this post.

Name: SOHO TRIBECA
    Foaling Date: 01-Nov-2012
    Colour/Sex:Bay Colt
    Sire:AMERICAN IDEAL USA
    Dam:PIXEL PERFECT
    Broodmare Sire:ART MAJOR USA
    Country of birth:AU
    Freezebrand:S3120224 
    Breeder:R J WATSON, WA
    Cleared to:

VillageKid likes this post.

JayJay said:

Marko, Soho Tribeca is most definitely NOT a New Zealand Import, bred by Western Australian registered breeder Robert Watson. It is one of those pointless debates...Mount Eden for example...bred in NZ but first poked his head through a bridle in  the south eastern suburbs of Perth. Always referred to as a Western Australian horse, same Pure Steel...and in this era of Grand Circuit National Racing at all age levels, horses race and are trained all over Australia. What on earth would you classify Flashing Red as? I think the current way in which a horse is referred to as a New Zealand import is okay. Different folk, dependent on their age,  do things differently as is their right.

Yes my mistake with Soho Tribeca

However the point i was making - you take when on the odd occasion - an American horse has come to Aust to race

Years ago - i think it was Stuart Hunter brought an American horse to qualify and run in the Miracle Mile - Allan Donohue who  for years was  based in Qld was definitely the trainer /driver - i can remember watching it at HP - might have run 2nd in the MM

Now that horse - quite correctly was  allways called the American horse - the USA horse - or The Yank - It was never once called a bloody Queenslander - even though it was being trained their

Likewise many years ago - when David Aitken was still based at Bankstown - he bought a couple of American horses to race over here ( one of them might have won a Newcastle Cup ) and they did all their racing from that point on over here - again they were  allways called American horses - they were never  once called NSW pacers

Yet NZ imports ( and its nearly got to  the stage where they need to put a quota on the things ) - they are suddenly when they come over here   called - " Victorians " - or here is the West Aussie pacer - that pissses me off - because they are not

edited January 2018
    I am with you here Marko. It's like calling Dennis Lillee a Pommy cricketer because he played 8 matches for Northamptonshire.
    By accident of birth and geography you are defined and it should be forever thus.

Ultra Jet was one of the US pacers you refer to.

Some of you have got fantastic memories

Ultra Jet a real tough pacer
    Cams Fool who now stands in WA was one of the Aiken runners for owner B Pelling. Came out for inters but never made the grade here.....might have been ill sometime....went back to the US and regained his form then came out and stood here when Pelling moved back to WA.
    Can picture the other one......hard pulling big dark brown or black horse....took a long time for him to settle....used to lead for a long way. May have had a big white shadow roll. USS Something seems to stick in my mind but I can't for the life of me nail it  8-X
    Stars and Stripes?
    It wasn't USS it was TSS Posidon. Donahues horse was Slug Of Jin.
    Yep. and Stars and Stripes was NZ bred, my mistake. There were another couple, one called Tibet for sure and another one...Dare To Win or Dare To Dream or something like that.
    I had forgotten Tibet JJ. He was a handy horse who had the distinction of being driven to victory by Messrs RC Thurlow  R B Byrnes & CJ Geeson.....alll of whom have spent plenty of time on the outer for a variety of misdemeanors.

Island Glow was another

Ahh, C,J.Gleeson and Colouresque, the great superfecta cutting the hopples trick....a cunning plan which came unstuck when his brother collected the winning ticket and had to give his name and address ( I think) because the collect was over $10k or something like that....and he provided his correct name and address?????. Colouresque ended up as one of the last horses trained by Lou Austin....and he wasn't much good (the horse, not Lou).

I had forgotten Tibet JJ. He was a handy horse who had the distinction of being driven to victory by Messrs RC Thurlow  R B Byrnes & CJ Geeson.....alll of whom have spent plenty of time on the outer for a variety of misdemeanors.

That should win post of the year

Gleeson got life i think - and Byrnes got warned off indefinitely

Its interesting at Harold Park - when there was a decent betting ring 25-30 bookies - there was only 2 drivers i ever saw ( and quite often ) on the edge of the betting ring -  standing and talking to other acquaintances - and they were Robbie Byrnes - and Greg Bennet ( who got 7 years )

Bennett when he was the premiership winning driver - he was sometimes interviewed on course ( like several others drivers were  ) and im thinking to myself -why do you look so nervous all the time when your interviewed - well the 7 years he got was for bribing a couple of stewards for not swabbing his horses - then i thought to myself - now i know why you allways looked so nervous !!!

curmudgeon, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Mr Feelgood was another ex Seppo to race with good success Down Under.

curmudgeon, JayJay likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts

Mr Feelgood was another ex Seppo to race with good success Down Under.

Versatile, won a Little Brown Jug, A Hunter Cup and an Inter Dominion.

JayJay, curmudgeon likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited February 2018
    Greg Bennett - what an outstanding driver he was, one of the best have seen - but definitely tinted now unfortunately.

Just like the nervousness perhaps also gives an understanding as to why he drove so well. Could say he was possibly driving to an advantage.

Drove the final ever race winner at Harold Park - standing start handicap- brilliant heady drive.
    One of Ted Greigs favourite theories was that it should be mandatory for all drivers and jockeys to back their conveyances in every race they contest with their own money. At least the public would know they were trying then he used to say. :))

Ridersonthestorm33, Rex likes this post.

^^ How long is a piece of string though haha some would only put 50 cents on and say 'there you go I was trying, I backed that'.
    Meeting CodeHQ171210 
    Date17-Dec-10 
    Club NameHAROLD PARK 
    Track NameHAROLD PARK 
    Race Number10 
    Race NameBLUE PYRENEES WINES FAREWELL HANDICAP 
    Pace or TrotPACERS 
    AHRC Class
    Group StatusLISTED CLASSIC 
    Stakes  $25,000 
    Start TypeSS 
    Distance3370m 

Place

Name
    Prizemoney
    Hcp
    Driver
    Margin
    1  KARLOO MICK $14,00020 G W BENNETT   
    2  PRINCE BENJI $3,000FT D J BINSKIN 5.60 
    3  MAGIC OPERATIVE $1,75010 N A DAY 7.00 
    4  FRANCO NESTER NZ $1,00010 J B WILLICK 7.10 
    5  SAUCY LEGEND NZ $75010 B P FITZPATRICK 16.00 
    6  NICKYS FALCON NZ $500FT J P MCCARTHY 20.20 
    7  JACCKA SINGH NZ $500FT C J Fitzpatrick 25.10 
    8  INTERNATIONALPLAYBOY NZ $500FT M C Muscat 26.10 
    9  MIN MIN LIGHTS $50010 J N Douglass 27.20 
    10  ROYAL SURPRISE $500FT A S TURNBULL 32.00 
    11  LIP SYNC $500FT J T O'Shea 32.60 
    12  MACH TWAIN NZ $500FT D W WILSON 42.90 
    13  ATOMIC ARK $500FT B A SARINA 74.50 
    14  SHOWDOWNATMIDNIGHT $500FT B R GATH 118.30 

Track Rating:GOOD  Gross Time:4:22.6  Mile Rate:2:04.7    
    First Quarter:31.8 Second Quarter:30.2 Third Quarter:29.1 Fourth Quarter:30.4 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    Markovina said:

JayJay said:

Yes my mistake with Soho Tribeca

However the point i was making - you take when on the odd occasion - an American horse has come to Aust to race

Years ago - i think it was Stuart Hunter brought an American horse to qualify and run in the Miracle Mile - Allan Donohue who  for years was  based in Qld was definitely the trainer /driver - i can remember watching it at HP - might have run 2nd in the MM

Now that horse - quite correctly was  allways called the American horse - the USA horse - or The Yank - It was never once called a bloody Queenslander - even though it was being trained their

Likewise many years ago - when David Aitken was still based at Bankstown - he bought a couple of American horses to race over here ( one of them might have won a Newcastle Cup ) and they did all their racing from that point on over here - again they were  allways called American horses - they were never  once called NSW pacers

Yet NZ imports ( and its nearly got to  the stage where they need to put a quota on the things ) - they are suddenly when they come over here   called - " Victorians " - or here is the West Aussie pacer - that pissses me off - because they are not

Alan Donohue horse.....was it slug of gin?
    14 horse standing start field on a tightish Harold Park circuit for excellent horse Karloo Mick and reinsman Greg Bennett. Was fitting that the best horse and best reinsman won the final ever race there.
    2009 inters;; One hella of favourite of mine Karloo mick was convinced he could win a inters, but
    sadly  didn't think with barry lew. prior to the inters it was announced greg bennett was going to be
    the driver evey spare bit of money I would whack on mick, a month before inters .futures market  bennett had only drove him once previously for a win..

the stars were aligning Auckland reactor the unbeaten kiwi wasn't coming ,think melpark major got hurt in paddock accident he was out....Then  was a 15k late entry fee clause that could be paid so purdon took that option on fri.  before the heats were drawn ..ned Kelly bloody would have blushed tabs.  installed Auckland reactor $3.00 fav. at the death nock in the futures ....with us poor dumbies had bet into a market without a.reactor as a starter unbeaten horse without a bean been placed on it .suddenly appears, as karma works purdon got six weeks first round heats gavin lang drove it in the final its foot kept hitting the cart and fired up and think ran last.. blacks a fake, led grant Dixon was in the death looking after stablemate blackie  with I am sam until lang wrestled the breeze poor old mick had to make three wide run last lap and  mr. feelgood was on his back getting a lovely cart into it...turning for home I done the best monkey on stick impersonation ever  when mick eyeballed blackie, thought he was home bennett done everything bar bite him between the ears.. ants butt ducked down to the fence got the run and the inters,was his,,,,,,Confident that long searching run mick had to endure was the
    difference at the judge   Darn good horse mick 159 starts 64 wins 38 seconds 21 thirds bit hard on barry lew he only drove him eight more times after that inters for 6wins 2 seconds out of eight.  bennett drove him 31 times for11wins, as things unfolded later micks card could have been better.... the one that got away as us punters no.. next time.ha.