In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 44 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited February 2018
    And spare the memory but wasn't Karloo Mick 80/1 or something in that Inters Final. That price belied the horse he was, he was a tough bugger who had great stamina.

Have a Karloo Mick story and the perils of taking $1.04 or $1.10 for the place,had the Mickster added on in a very good all up place bet - he was $1.20 or something to win and added him just as a formality for the $1.04 or $1.10 the place ( commonly known as being greedy ) Barry Lew had a Barry Crocker.

He just couldn't take a trick and boy did they drive hard against him. The Mickster ran the dreaded place punters spot - fourth.

savethegame likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Seems like a millon bets ago,it  was going to be very good result straightout and as it was a good  result /eway. as they never let you on for the place futures.....Rang the queensland harness authourites   on the Friday prior after they had accepted Auckland reactors late entry fee .....how that should never have happened.....Once I explained how the punter was getting shafted with that horses inclusion never   have  had a bloke so apologetic, him even saying it was a disgrace......Especially  when the tabs could have implemented..a new market.. or kept the market running without auckland reactor in it, paid out on the first horse home if Auckland reactor won the race..
    The tabs response being you get a better price about your selection now that Auckland reactors in the field,,,but the fact you had bet prior to Auckland reactors inclusion meant zilch to see it drift we are talking about a unbeaten horse 15 odd in a row, so if he won the inters he was a total skinner at 3.00 in the last 10 odd days of  betting prior to heats....riders think mick did drift out to 40s 

just replayed david  fowlers  call    says at the bell the heart starts to pump a little faster ... mine was skippen a beat forskin sure..

Ridersonthestorm33, curmudgeon likes this post.

edited February 2018
    Do recall the Auckland Reactor betting fiasco, was a major controversy and story of the time.

When he was at his best and had the purple patch of form, could we say potentially as good as a later I'm The Mighty Quinn ? The Reactor could unwind a scorching sprint.

Must have had a few problems, did lose a bit of form and seemed to go from unbeatable to risky.
    See purdons other former star Waikiki beach won first up in .usa going 1.51.4.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

The bettors delight show rolls on with lazarus his highest stake-earner world wide...Today at Pinjarra four more of his stock racing in the 2y.olds.....Gee w.a would need follow the stars progeny
    to able to run  when they eventually get to the track ..........see follow the stars  half- sister  at the melb. apg sale fetched 160k....... 60k  more than the next highest price yearling

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    A awful lot for a filly but is by Art Major....and is out of a fully imported Cams Card Shark mare that, although Follow The Stars is easily the best foal, is a 100% producer.

Have seen a few Follow The Stars foals/yearlings...very nice types but as you say, its what they do on the track, not whether they win the fashion parade.

VillageKid likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Come on Curmudgeon your the driving expert ( you know you drove San Simeon in a trial when it beat Mt Eden )

What in hell was the driver in Race 2 at Cobram doing ( behind the leader at the bell ) - shuffling cards with his hands - great if your on Kamwood Izzy - all be it e/w

W Anderson drives up around Leeton/Junee - never rated him - and thats a good example why
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Markovina said:

Come on Curmudgeon your the driving expert ( you know you drove San Simeon in a trial when it beat Mt Eden )

What in hell was the driver in Race 2 at Cobram doing ( behind the leader at the bell ) - shuffling cards with his hands - great if your on Kamwood Izzy - all be it e/w

W Anderson drives up around Leeton/Junee - never rated him - and thats a good example why

Trying to shift his hands up a grip? Dad used to always tell us kids off for bellybutton driving. I'd rather be supermanning the entire way than switching handgrips on a puller

Markovina, curmudgeon likes this post.

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    Seemed some serious place betting in race 3 at Pinjarra trots today. 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited February 2018
    Markovina said:

No expert Marko ....not that hard to drive San Simeon on the track to beat Milson Edition . Ferrari vs V8 . 
    W Anderson received a suspension and went into the never to be considered file...on the punt or anything else. Hopeless.....worse than hopeless and dangerous to boot.
    I gave M Grantham a big rap about 18 mths ago - at the time - very good in front - very good 3 wide without cover - i liked the USA style - however that was 18mths ago

That previous race at GP - i only played the 1st 4s in a small way - but i had the 2nd and 3rd horses - thought Tradie might lead and punture so left it out

Now Kasey John - where do i start - the $1.30 pop has got Tradie cold  before the turn - so you get hard on the faves back - it is so obvious - and youve got to look like you are really conentrating - no - so what happens in the straight - wheels are hit - smash bang - Mickey G hey

The punters have copped enough - he is still a junior driver - refer him back to Trevor Warwick at  the drivers school PPPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

curmudgeon likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    What about Corey Peterson on Luis Alberto???? I'm sorry junior driver or not he has to get time for that drive, it was either completely incompetent or he pulled it up.

How are you meant to punt on this??

The stewards need to start protecting the punter.
    While i'm at it can we get a caller who will stop calling all these held up horses like A Piccadilly Princess or Luis Alberto unlucky?

If I go out tonight and drive into a parked car on the street am I unlucky because hey what was that parked car doing there or am I incompetent because I should have seen the parked car there and gone around it?

Betonme likes this post.

edited February 2018
    How about the Colin Brown trained and driven first starter from gate one wins at $61 ...not a cracker for it.

Field of six and the fifth fave was $17...then out to $61 and from barrier one mind you.

All other winners well found in the market. About $4 was longest priced winner, with oodles of odds on shorties all successful.
    Markovina said:

I gave M Grantham a big rap about 18 mths ago - at the time - very good in front - very good 3 wide without cover - i liked the USA style - however that was 18mths ago

That previous race at GP - i only played the 1st 4s in a small way - but i had the 2nd and 3rd horses - thought Tradie might lead and punture so left it out

Now Kasey John - where do i start - the $1.30 pop has got Tradie cold  before the turn - so you get hard on the faves back - it is so obvious - and youve got to look like you are really conentrating - no - so what happens in the straight - wheels are hit - smash bang - Mickey G hey

The punters have copped enough - he is still a junior driver - refer him back to Trevor Warwick at  the drivers school PPPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

Belly buttoned another odds on in the first tonight...hands of cement

Markovina likes this post.

Gilgamesh said:

What about Corey Peterson on Luis Alberto???? I'm sorry junior driver or not he has to get time for that drive, it was either completely incompetent or he pulled it up.

Not sure how much time he should get  something. 3 months then well his out have to write 10,000 times  '' IF I WANT TO BE LIKE CHRIS LEWIS I SHOULD KEEP MY NOSE CLEAN.' as still a junior I image they go to reinsman school  meetings....

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts

Gilgamesh said:

My god. Drove it like a stolen car. Does he not realise how delicate horse's legs are at high speed? You can't go jerking a horse around like that - I hope he got his butt whipped for that and I hope Luis's legs are ok (feel sorry for the poor thing, our horse took it out shying at an idiot track attendant a couple weeks back and now this)
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    No QDT on results for Luis Alberto.
    Pretty harsh commentary I think, actually very harsh.....he is 17 years old, learning his craft, very well in my opinion, looks like he has committed a cardinal sin in making a mistake!!!!!. God forbid, ban him for life. I think he has good mentors and I think he will be a very good driver.

Markovina, jum, squid69, Rocket_Reign likes this post.

JayJay said:

Pretty harsh commentary I think, actually very harsh.....he is 17 years old, learning his craft, very well in my opinion, looks like he has committed a cardinal sin in making a mistake!!!!!. God forbid, ban him for life. I think he has good mentors and I think he will be a very good driver.

See Jay Jay - i fall out with certain posters from time to time - when i see rubbish posted

And the criticism of young Corey for that drive is absolute rubbish

If you watch that race closely - Shannon S - the champion driver he is - before they hit the straight - he actually eased - didnt apply any pressure to his horse for about 50-70metres- thus instead of joining the leaders at the top of the straight ( and giving CP last crack at him ) - he stayed half a length behind the front 2 - then in the home straight he gave it full bore and won - superb drive

If CP comes 4 wide theres no way he beats Shannons horse - he runs 2nd at best

The stewards are 1000% correct in not querying the drive

He is a very very good  driver - with a great future

JayJay, squid69, loose_goose likes this post.

edited February 2018
    Yep, all good Marko, never any permanent fall out over a disagreement, everyone has their opinions but I do think it was a bit harsh on Peterson....if an error was made, he will learn from it, I think he generally does a really good job. He's only just got his drivers license (car) lol. Spot on assessment of the drive on Lord Willoughby.
    I haven't seen many TAB's with a sign saying if a concession driver makes a mistake we will refund your dough JJ. There are mistakes and then there are mistakes. Anyone can drive a horse in front...it's the decisions you make in the field that is the test of real ability.ref Lewis Hall Suvaljko. Those drivers whose thought processes are negatively influenced by their associations...concession drivers or not.....are too busy panicking for runs and trying to lay the whip on horses before it is in the clear to think about margins of error. Grantham locks wheels 3 times a week frinstance....then gets dirty and lays one on his horse asap as though it's the horses fault...a good example of someone who has got way ahead of himself with all the BS media razzle dazzle. I agree with Marko here....what about the punter ? There is a real dearth of quality young drivers making good decisions in the field....not necessarily winning decisions ....just decisions that are correct in the circumstances. If you make the correct decision and get beaten then so be it the punter is a hardy beast...but if you make terrible decisions that cost any chance of victory then the punters are entitled to point that out on forums like this.
    You are right there Marko.....Shannon was driving the other horses around him as well as his own. If it was Lewis or Jnr driving young Coreys horse they wouldn't have been cutting back inside ....there was plenty of time to get on Shannons back and pop one wider with momentum. Corey has gone around often enough to have restrained and eased wider ....by going down he fell into Shannons trap...no hope of winning...nil.
    They are playing with real money though....have to cop both plaudits and criticism.
    No doubt going to be a very good driver in time probably that good that they are putting the fork in the road in front of him now......same fork that was put in front of m.neilson n.jack. s.cramp k,tyler jun. h.fisher all with any amount of ability....and they all went left.... 

If criticism and little bit a time now hopefully down the track he doesn't go left...

Gilgamesh, curmudgeon likes this post.

JayJay said:

I agree jayjay I have seen a lot of signs that CP CAN become a very good driver, that is why I was happy to be on the horse. For them to not even question the drive, where does that leave him, so that drive is the standard we should all accept? Do we not want the sport to get better.

@Marko he was following the winner with the horse outside him dropping off, there was a wall going to he inside. So there is zero chance of him winning the race going inside, zero. At least if he comes to the outside we get to find out if the horse is good enough to win. Your assuming it wouldn't, i'm assuuming it would. Thats all we can do as he failed to give it its chance. Then he was left to believe that that i acceptable, as far as we can tell from the information provided to us anyhow.

Regardless I dont have a problem with the young fella. I have a problem with those in charge of improving the sport, protecting the punter which in turn will protect returns to participants.

The stewarding is not good enough, its that simple.

We hear about T Warwick being there to teach the jnr Reinsman. How about encluding in the stewards report if a jnr is sent for a chat with Trev so the punters can have some confidene that the game is being improved. That someone is teaching them how to win.

How about having someone look at the results that are being published so that 25.2 quarters aren't being put up in the official results.

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

Point taken Gil...I have seen T.Warwick having many informal discussions with the juniors, quiet and calm, lots of hand movements and good advice being delivered in a friendly manner. Pity it is only with the juniors, perhaps the scope of his role could be widened?

Gilgamesh likes this post.

edited February 2018

Dean Miller...... GPTV Ken Cassellas interview with one of the better options around as a concession driver

PackedMetalPanda, savethegame likes this post.

• Suns out guns out Deano

Betonme likes this post.

Re Standing Starts - been alot of discussion recently on this forum - i dont like them and hardly bet on them re the pacers - but i dont mind  it in the trotters - because backmakers can get in well

Now race 2 at Cranbourne last night - i had small e/w bet $10 by $5 at the $9.50 on Supplements ( i like backing Greg Sugars drives )

Now if you click on the replay( Tab touch )  - look to the far right of the screen - and look at the horse going the wrong way - keep your eyes on that horse  - that Supplements - i laughed at the time ( pity it couldnt quite hang on and win ) - i thought this is beautiful - its in a mobile (lol) and the others are in a stand - and are stationary

Now tell me - how can that be a fair start - and thats why standing starts are a joke
    edited February 2018
    Markovina said:

Re Standing Starts - been alot of discussion recently on this forum - i dont like them and hardly bet on them re the pacers - but i dont mind  it in the trotters - because backmakers can get in well

Now race 2 at Cranbourne last night - i had small e/w bet $10 by $5 at the $9.50 on Supplements ( i like backing Greg Sugars drives )

Now if you click on the replay( Tab touch )  - look to the far right of the screen - and look at the horse going the wrong way - keep your eyes on that horse  - that Supplements - i laughed at the time ( pity it couldnt quite hang on and win ) - i thought this is beautiful - its in a mobile (lol) and the others are in a stand - and are stationary

Now tell me - how can that be a fair start - and thats why standing starts are a joke

No....that is why the Cranbourne starter should be grilled about the start Marko....or the stewards should take some action against the driver. Got nothing to do with the type of race commencement......has everything to do with its control mechanisms and why they weren't adhered to.by the officials. If you like I can show you a zillion mobile starts that are a joke.....but you already know that.