G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

Special General Meeting Kalgoorlie

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Thanks @Kane_26 My email details with RWWA are current and unchanged, as both an owner and a licensed person.

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Looks to me like your opinion was surplus to requirements JJ.
    Owns horses with travelling trainer    x
    Traveled horses and raced in Kal this season     x

Two crosses.......you're out.....take your seat with the Kal trainers who weren't canvassed for their opinion....after all.....there was a section for suggestions/ideas in the survey wasn't there ? 
    Obviously they weren't deemed worthy.

I wonder how some of them would feel at the moment.....redundant licence ....redundant equipment...redundant horses....redundant stables. Nice to walk out the back door to that situation in.the morning after some have been involved for 30 to 40 years.
    No face to face thank you to them or their predecessors even.
    Tell em its over......we are outta here.

savethegame likes this post.

• Kane_26Kane_26    88 posts
    edited April 2018
    Was there a section for suggestions and ideas @curmudgeon? Does that mean you got and completed the survey?
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Maybe just a hint of irony in Curmudgeon's "section for suggestion/ideas in the survey" that may have gone through to the keeper.

They must be feeling pretty miserable ....be it a livelihood, a hobby, an interest or just an enthusiasm for the game, anyone would understandably feel pretty bitter. I don't know whether they met with Mr Burt or not or whether they found out by text message or carrier pigeon for that matter.but either way, it surely could have been handled better. As Leigh Matthews once said, you can't take on City Hall...it would appear to be an irreversible decision.

curmudgeon, Offthebit, savethegame, Betonme likes this post.

Kane_26 said:

Was there a section for suggestions and ideas @curmudgeon? Does that mean you got and completed the survey?

None of your business mate
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    I dont think its all over for Kal Trots yet - even if they say its irreversible

There are precedents - i mean South Sydney got thrown out on their aarse - a team that i think had the most premierships at that point - ( or would have only been 2nd to St George ) with a rich and colourful history and all the rest of it

But then people got up and did something - and thats why their back in comp

If the Kal council - businsess groups - hospitality etc - the whole town want Trotting to stay ( part of the fabric etc ) and go straight to the Racing minister ( forget about Mr 850k - bypass him ) then you would think the Trots would  survive

However if the town do nothing - and its left to the 11 local trainers - well theve got no clout at all - then it will die

curmudgeon, Offthebit, savethegame likes this post.

edited April 2018
    Task for you though @ Kane_26 ....ring Barry and ask him when the coupe de grace was delivered to Kalgoorlie did the messengers show any respect to the current local licence holders who have collectively invested many hundreds of thousands of dollars over their lifetime involvement in this industry and face them to canvas what sort of situations this has left them in personally and financially?Also did they take time to look at the Life Members board,ask about them and acknowledge their contributions as volunteers in any open forum ?
    Then get back to this forum....there's a good chap.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    JayJay said:

They must be feeling pretty miserable ....be it a livelihood, a hobby, an interest or just an enthusiasm for the game, anyone would understandably feel pretty bitter. I don't know whether they met with Mr Burt or not or whether they found out by text message or carrier pigeon for that matter.but either way, it surely could have been handled better. As Leigh Matthews once said, you can't take on City Hall...it would appear to be an irreversible decision.

100% per cent correct no licence people where invited to a meeting...

RWWA employs a manager  corporate communications,,,plus corporate communications  coordinator.......Surely a press release stating  that on the 29th march Richard Burt ,along with
    such and such, met with such &such and informed them of g.mtc. clousure,, rumour, has it that four people flew to Kalgoorlie to speak with no licence personal about there future ,surely rwwa 
    media centre can release a statement to this effect, So these no grey areas on the first step that was taken,
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts

Task for you though @ Kane_26 ....ring Barry and ask him when the coupe de grace was delivered to Kalgoorlie did the messengers show any respect to the current local licence holders who have collectively invested many hundreds of thousands of dollars over their lifetime involvement in this industry and face them to canvas what sort of situations this has left them in personally and financially?Also did they take time to look at the Life Members board,ask about them and acknowledge their contributions as volunteers in any open forum ?

Then get back to this forum....there's a good chap.

Bit rude on your behalf Mudgie, you tell him to mind his own business, then want him to be your errand boy.

If you have an axe to grind with authorities, methinks you should approach them yourself

Rocket_Reign, Kane_26 likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    As much as I am on your side Curmdgeon re Kal. I think Loose Goose is right. We are here to have intelligent posts for the betterment of the game and  think Kane is quite reasonable in his approach.That doesn't mean that I agree about the closure but he has a different spin on it. He is obviously a younger trot man. Let us not stoop to sarcasm we need passionate younger folk.  We are better than that..
    edited April 2018
    Good to see you have appointed yourself the arbiter of polity here LG.
    Separate issues
    Does K 26 expect me to re route my mail and email through him for perusal ?
    Sometimes without meaning to...I will be generous here....people exceed their bounds in terms of enquiry.
    K 26 may well be a younger trot man sonny....we all are/were at some stage.
    K 26 was not backward in suggesting other listers (you frinstance sonny) ring authorities....I may have been mischevous in suggesting he do the same but that is all. I lost count the number of times I was pulled into gear as a young bloke. It's no big deal. I don't agree with the decision to close Kalgoorlie but that is a decision out of my control and an issue that may or may not revive itself.....despite the ironclad statements made in concert with the decision.. I mean....c'mon....in the theatre of life an absolute has never ever been absolute has it really ?....despite the wishes of those who issue them. That is not the crux of the matter that concerns me nor some acquaintances I have that remain in Kalgoorlie.
    I have already stated that it is fairly obvious there is a breakdown in communication in all of this....mostly I think between club administration in Kalgoorlie and some of the local fraternity but also between that administration and Perth. Perhaps it was part of a malaise that added to the probability of what eventuated. My take from discussions is that there is a degree of blame shifting in terms of how the decision was communicated locally. Certainly there is a degree of unresolved angst more so about how licenced personnel seemingly were disregarded in the process. Hence my request to K26 to "run an errand".
    I am being presumptuous enough on this thread to give a voice to many of those names on the Life Members board in Kalgoorlie.....a substantial number of whom I knew personally and I can testify gave countless volunteer hours to the club,the local fraternity and to the industry statewide.
    An inclusive thank you to the current licenced personnel and a general tribute to those involved in the club over the years who no longer have a voice would seem to me to be the decent thing to have done on a human level locally ....not some cold papal bull issued post visit.
    The feedback I have is that RWWA administrators were advised not to go down the path of inclusive public announcement in Kalgoorlie because of the possibility of hostile reaction. Sorry ....that doesn't wash with me....sometimes the big bucks dictate that you wear the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. And really .....when was the last time a riot squad was called to a harness fraternity meeting ?
    That is it for me ... I have said my piece. I expected better....and so did many others.

ps....I don't expect to learn the entire verse and chorus of Kum Bah Yah anytime soon though nonetheless...in my experience ala Bruce Springsteen ..."cain't start a fire without a spark'

sonny said:

As much as I am on your side Curmdgeon re Kal. I think Loose Goose is right. We are here to have intelligent posts for the betterment of the game and  think Kane is quite reasonable in his approach.That doesn't mean that I agree about the closure but he has a different spin on it. He is obviously a younger trot man. Let us not stoop to sarcasm we need passionate younger folk.  We are better than that..

And I am not in agreeance of the close either. Country racing /trotting is in a danger period, I read the other day Meekathara's last race meeting will be in September, but not closed by RWWA, more so lack of people wanting to get involved to run.

Good to see you have appointed yourself the arbiter of polity here LG.

Separate issues
    Does K 26 expect me to re route my mail and email through him for perusal ?
    Sometimes without meaning to...I will be generous here....people exceed their bounds in terms of enquiry.
    K 26 may well be a younger trot man sonny....we all are/were at some stage.
    K 26 was not backward in suggesting other listers (you frinstance sonny) ring authorities....I may have been mischevous in suggesting he do the same but that is all. I lost count the number of times I was pulled into gear as a young bloke. It's no big deal. I don't agree with the decision to close Kalgoorlie but that is a decision out of my control and an issue that may or may not revive itself.....despite the ironclad statements made in concert with the decision.. I mean....c'mon....in the theatre of life an absolute has never ever been absolute has it really ?....despite the wishes of those who issue them. That is not the crux of the matter that concerns me nor some acquaintances I have that remain in Kalgoorlie.
    I have already stated that it is fairly obvious there is a breakdown in communication in all of this....mostly I think between club administration in Kalgoorlie and some of the local fraternity but also between that administration and Perth. Perhaps it was part of a malaise that added to the probability of what eventuated. My take from discussions is that there is a degree of blame shifting in terms of how the decision was communicated locally. Certainly there is a degree of unresolved angst more so about how licenced personnel seemingly were disregarded in the process. Hence my request to K26 to "run an errand".
    I am being presumptuous enough on this thread to give a voice to many of those names on the Life Members board in Kalgoorlie.....a substantial number of whom I knew personally and I can testify gave countless volunteer hours to the club,the local fraternity and to the industry statewide.
    An inclusive thank you to the current licenced personnel and a general tribute to those involved in the club over the years who no longer have a voice would seem to me to be the decent thing to have done on a human level locally ....not some cold papal bull issued post visit.
    The feedback I have is that RWWA administrators were advised not to go down the path of inclusive public announcement in Kalgoorlie because of the possibility of hostile reaction. Sorry ....that doesn't wash with me....sometimes the big bucks dictate that you wear the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. And really .....when was the last time a riot squad was called to a harness fraternity meeting ?
    That is it for me ... I have said my piece. I expected better....and so did many others.

ps....I don't expect to learn the entire verse and chorus of Kum Bah Yah anytime soon though nonetheless...in my experience ala Bruce Springsteen ..."cain't start a fire without a spark'

I don't disagree with you Carmudgeon, at least K26 here invoking discussion, (we all have different views on things) , but I wonder how many just breezed through the questionaire without thinking through the ramifications, or did not respond at all.  And if Owners such as JJ did not get the Questionaire and raced horse there in the last 24 months, then the system to make a decision other than $$$ (and unfortunately it is always about the $$$) , is seriously flawed. Now can I get back in the boat :)
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    My Summation of things

When i heard Burts interview ( someone posted the link ) - i thought there was an overwhelming vote - like 80-90% vote of the rank and file - saying because of the distance problem - thats why they are ceasing racing - so i thought fair enough

However after being informed ( i think Sonny supllied ) that there was a flimsy 129 votes or returned questionaires - my view changed completely - this is a head office decision - but no one from the media  ( like Ernie Manning )  is putting any pressure or grilling them on the numbers - i mean the decsion - you could drive a Road Train through it if you wanted to - but no one is putting any heat on them at all

I think a few Trots clubs interstate lost their meetings - maybe St Arnaud or Wedderburn - but then the premier - it was either Andrews - i think he is from Wangaratta - or the previous one Denis Napkine - again from a rural background - said Trotting is important for a country town - the history etc - and the social side of it -and thus they got their dates back

But so far re Kal - nothing seems to have happened - theirs been zilch in the West Australian about it so far