G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 2 Non Members

WA greatest sports stars

Sport
spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
In today's West Australian Mark Duffield names his 12 greatest West Aussie sports stars out his twelve I reckon there is a glaring omission here is his list in order Herb Elliot. Shirley de lahunty. Dk Lillie . Prolly Farmer.Ric Charles worth. Walter Lindrum. John Winter . Daniel Ricciardo. Ryan Bayley .Luc Longley .Rechelle Hawkes . Lyn Mcclements. For mine there is one missing, see who comes up with the missing person first. Don't reckon it will take to long

Comments

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    Damien Oliver easy

spinking, hash likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    kim hughes?
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Wasn't hard was it Jum. I obviously don't see it the way of most journalists could not see how Bruce Mcavaney didn't have Makabe Diva in his list of best horses he had seen. And can't believe this bloke hasn't included Ollie in his best dozen from the west

jum likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited June 2018
    Know what you're saying Spinking but perhaps the long suspension for betting on another horse may have come in to play.
    Rightly or wrongly ?
    Riders it might take a bit off polish off it , but 7 - 8 Scoby Breasley medals 100 plus group ones 3 Melbourne cups , I reckon regardless of his indiscretion he's got to be right up there certainly inside the top 12

jum likes this post.

Fair points Spink. Think without that indiscretion Mark Duffield has him in. Would be interesting to ask him if it played a factor.
    I'm with Rio too - Kim Hughes must have gone close. He did Captain the rebel tour to South Africa perhaps that went against the grain.

RIO likes this post.

Be interesting to have a insight into if he had a criteria that he applied to his top twelve. Ollie just seemed to be a massive oversight for mine
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    What about Rod Marsh??
  • PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    edited June 2018
    cisco said:

What about Rod Marsh??

or brother Graham? According to Wikipedia, won 60 golf tournaments worldwide (10 on the European Tour, 4 more in Europe, 15 in Australasia, 20 on the Japanese Tour, 5 more in Japan, 5 in Asia and once on the PGA Tour) plus won ten more Senior tournaments (6 of those on the Champions Tour which includes 2 Seniors majors, '97 Senior US Open & '99 Tradition). Unfortunately, he didn't really feature much in the four majors with only one top-5 finish (4th in '83 The Open Championship).

cisco, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited June 2018
    There was a great catch Rod Marsh took ( he could do that ) , was shown every night as an introduction into the nightly Channel 7 six o'clock news. They did it well, was goosebump material - magnificent footage for the time.
    edited June 2018
    Barry Cable another glaring omission. His football record is unbelievable.
    One highlight of many was coaching a rank underdog East Perth team to victory over hot favourites Perth in pouring rain in the 1978 Grand Final - take that Demons.

The crowd at the Grand Final in atrocious conditions - 45,126. That's not bad at all.

1978 season only one game separated 2nd to 5th on the ladder, with Perth clearly on top. Claremont missed making the four ( and finals ) by literally 0.6%.

cisco, VillageKid likes this post.

• SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    edited June 2018

John McGuire - East Perth premiership player and should have played Cricket for the Aussie test team. Captained the aboriginal side on their trip to England

McGuire played most of his career for Mount Lawley District Cricket Club in Western Australian Grade Cricket and is second in the all-time runscoring list for the first grade competition, scoring 10,004 runs. He also holds several club records, including the most career runs (9204) and the most career catches (160).[3]

In January 1988 he captained a team of Aboriginal players who played a Prime Minister's XI personally captained by Bob Hawke. The team later in the year toured England to mark the Australian Bicentenary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGuire_(sportsman)

And I worked with him for a few years, a really nice bloke.

VillageKid, Ridersonthestorm33, RIO likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Fred Kersley 
    Bill Walker
    Rod Marsh

Ridersonthestorm33, oldhendo likes this post.

• ManchildManchild    679 posts
    Is Bill Walker in the AFL Hall of Fame ? 

Paul will know
  • PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    edited June 2018
    Manchild said:

Is Bill Walker in the AFL Hall of Fame ?

Paul will know

Yes, he was inducted in the year when the AFL Hall of Fame was established, in 1996.

oldhendo, VillageKid, Manchild likes this post.